[Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion


Recommended Posts

George P

A number of gaming sites/youtubers are starting to show the Series X in action.  For now it's just backcompat titles and load times, no new "next gen" games.   Still, telling how the games just naturally gain from the SSD and then the newer, faster, CPUs.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat
2 hours ago, George P said:

A number of gaming sites/youtubers are starting to show the Series X in action.  For now it's just backcompat titles and load times, no new "next gen" games.   Still, telling how the games just naturally gain from the SSD and then the newer, faster, CPUs.  

I just watched the Digital Foundry one.  Honestly I didn't know X1X was doing that bad with some games (I was sure they're not all perfect but I had no complaints most of the time.)

https://youtu.be/7oe1LUJyCCs

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
7 hours ago, LostCat said:

I just watched the Digital Foundry one.  Honestly I didn't know X1X was doing that bad with some games (I was sure they're not all perfect but I had no complaints most of the time.)

https://youtu.be/7oe1LUJyCCs

Yeah, any game that's a bit more CPU heavy has issue.  X1X has a beefy GPU but the CPU still the same old Jaguar cores, just clocked a little higher iirc.  No surprise something like the Hitman games have issues when there's so much AI on that level they use for the test, look at all those NPCs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat
5 hours ago, George P said:

Yeah, any game that's a bit more CPU heavy has issue.  X1X has a beefy GPU but the CPU still the same old Jaguar cores, just clocked a little higher iirc.  No surprise something like the Hitman games have issues when there's so much AI on that level they use for the test, look at all those NPCs.

Not quite, the Jaguar cores in X1X had additional instructions to cut rendering costs considerably.  But they still didn't quite cut it obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
1 hour ago, LostCat said:

Not quite, the Jaguar cores in X1X had additional instructions to cut rendering costs considerably.  But they still didn't quite cut it obviously.

Yeah, it depends on the game though, I think it makes sense for Hitman, like I said, heavy AI workloads going on in some of those levels.  So you're just stressing the CPU even more.   Either way, it's a nice boost for older and current games while we wait for some true next gen versions, or free upgrades to games to take more advantage of the new hardware.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver

Just for reference as some may not have seen some of the comparisons out there. Some games are more impressive then others but shaving 45 seconds off the eternal load times of NMS is worth the £450 for the console alone 🤣

 

Hopefully on release or shortly after some of the Devs will release the optimised patches and we'll see some of these times come down.

 

image.png.f213dd1327e23f27122abc7c5751f6fa.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Just for reference as some may not have seen some of the comparisons out there. Some games are more impressive then others but shaving 45 seconds off the eternal load times of NMS is worth the £450 for the console alone 🤣

 

Hopefully on release or shortly after some of the Devs will release the optimised patches and we'll see some of these times come down.

 

image.png.f213dd1327e23f27122abc7c5751f6fa.png

Just looking at that list as an example, it looks pretty clear to me that the most gains are for games that are open world and tend to just have one big loading screen to start and then you don't see another loading screen unless you fast travel.  Which makes sense because those are the ones moving more data I bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver

Yep, makes sense for that to be the bigger gain.

 

I personally play 3 of those games at the moment, CoD, NMS and Destiny 2.

 

CoD there's very little loading going on for Warzone or MP and most of that is matchmaking based so I wasn't expecting to see anything here as I've never thought of it as being slow in anyway.

 

No Mans Sky, the initial loading in has always been slow, 1 min 27 still sounds like a really long time and is the only game over a minute so I'm a little disappointed that it's not quicker, but at the same time it's still a good saving. I'll be interested to see what warping between systems is like. I've got a lot of system jumping to do and the time it takes has put me off.

 

Destiny 2, again I've noticed the long load into the game so happy to shave over a minute off of that, but on some of the videos there's other more subtle improvements that I'll actually appreciate more. Anyone who has played it will probably know that 3-4 second wait of pulling up your menu and swapping gear feels way longer then it should be. I saw some videos that showed that menu change is pretty much instant on the Series X so I'll look forward to that one too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Yep, makes sense for that to be the bigger gain.

 

I personally play 3 of those games at the moment, CoD, NMS and Destiny 2.

 

CoD there's very little loading going on for Warzone or MP and most of that is matchmaking based so I wasn't expecting to see anything here as I've never thought of it as being slow in anyway.

 

No Mans Sky, the initial loading in has always been slow, 1 min 27 still sounds like a really long time and is the only game over a minute so I'm a little disappointed that it's not quicker, but at the same time it's still a good saving. I'll be interested to see what warping between systems is like. I've got a lot of system jumping to do and the time it takes has put me off.

 

Destiny 2, again I've noticed the long load into the game so happy to shave over a minute off of that, but on some of the videos there's other more subtle improvements that I'll actually appreciate more. Anyone who has played it will probably know that 3-4 second wait of pulling up your menu and swapping gear feels way longer then it should be. I saw some videos that showed that menu change is pretty much instant on the Series X so I'll look forward to that one too.

Another thing that should be pointed out is that these systems MS gave out to select reviewers are marked as prototypes.  I wonder just how close to final they are?  I think the hardware is final but firmware/drivers might be older than retail units.   It would be interesting to see a updated chart of the above games with retail hardware or maybe after some possible day 1 update like what the Xbox One had, though that was for other reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P

 

 

For any of those out there who are also into Apple TV.    I have to ask though, this app has IAP, does MS get a cut of that?  I somehow doubt it.  How ironic it would be with all the iOS fuss going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat
1 hour ago, George P said:

 

 

For any of those out there who are also into Apple TV.    I have to ask though, this app has IAP, does MS get a cut of that?  I somehow doubt it.  How ironic it would be with all the iOS fuss going on.

Yes and no?  I believe in app billing is through MS but you aren't required to use it (you can subscribe anywhere you like.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.Xtreme
On 30/09/2020 at 05:57, Skiver said:

Just for reference as some may not have seen some of the comparisons out there. Some games are more impressive then others but shaving 45 seconds off the eternal load times of NMS is worth the £450 for the console alone 🤣

 

Hopefully on release or shortly after some of the Devs will release the optimised patches and we'll see some of these times come down.

 

image.png.f213dd1327e23f27122abc7c5751f6fa.png

You can do a pretty simple mod to replace the HDD with an SSD in the existing XB1 consoles.  I added one to my XB1 S and it make a pretty significant difference.  Overall loading of the console and apps was a lot faster.  Forza Horizon has pretty bad loading times, and the SSD cut that load time dramatically.

The Series X will still be a bit faster, but if you have a spare SSD laying around (or buy one on Ebay for $40-50), you got nothing to lose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat
9 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

You can do a pretty simple mod to replace the HDD with an SSD in the existing XB1 consoles.  I added one to my XB1 S and it make a pretty significant difference.  Overall loading of the console and apps was a lot faster.  Forza Horizon has pretty bad loading times, and the SSD cut that load time dramatically.

The Series X will still be a bit faster, but if you have a spare SSD laying around (or buy one on Ebay for $40-50), you got nothing to lose.

Eh.  I just stuck with externals.  They're a bit more expensive than they were but no hardware modificiation necessary.

Just glad the HD thing is done.

 

Also

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-beating-sony-at-cross-generation-save-tran-1845280133

Quote

As is often the case between video game generations, several high-profile PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X games will also be available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. But when it comes to the ability to start a game on a last-gen console and pick right up where you left off in the game’s next-gen version, there unfortunately isn’t one simple answer.

I don't know if this article is accurate or not but what the crap?  Much happier to be a Microsoft fan if it is.  :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
4 hours ago, LostCat said:

Also

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-beating-sony-at-cross-generation-save-tran-1845280133

I don't know if this article is accurate or not but what the crap?  Much happier to be a Microsoft fan if it is.  :p

That seems to be the case, Sony dropping the ball there.  I've seen a number of posts saying you don't even get good sync'ing between two PS4s let alone a PS4 and a PS5.   Go figure.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat
12 minutes ago, George P said:

That seems to be the case, Sony dropping the ball there.  I've seen a number of posts saying you don't even get good sync'ing between two PS4s let alone a PS4 and a PS5.   Go figure.  

I'd be surprised if they didn't come through fine if you're on PS+ for the PS4s.  I really don't know what to think of this, it's hard to imagine it's actually accurate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
17 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't come through fine if you're on PS+ for the PS4s.  I really don't know what to think of this, it's hard to imagine it's actually accurate.

It might be a bit exaggerated coming from Kotaku, we'll see I guess.  Sony did some half hearted "reviews" of the PS5 in Japan.  I say that because they didn't actually let anyone touch the units, and they couldn't even show the main UI.  I don't get why they're still being so secretive about all this?  Unless they're really rushing to finish things still, this late into the cycle?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver
15 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

You can do a pretty simple mod to replace the HDD with an SSD in the existing XB1 consoles.  I added one to my XB1 S and it make a pretty significant difference.  Overall loading of the console and apps was a lot faster.  Forza Horizon has pretty bad loading times, and the SSD cut that load time dramatically.

The Series X will still be a bit faster, but if you have a spare SSD laying around (or buy one on Ebay for $40-50), you got nothing to lose.

I went with a 256GB SSD attached via USB 3 a while back, it was enough to see some improvement but NMS is running on that and still feels like a lifetime to do anything. 

6 hours ago, LostCat said:

Eh.  I just stuck with externals.  They're a bit more expensive than they were but no hardware modificiation necessary.

Just glad the HD thing is done.

 

Also

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-beating-sony-at-cross-generation-save-tran-1845280133

I don't know if this article is accurate or not but what the crap?  Much happier to be a Microsoft fan if it is.  :p

Speaking to my brother who's a Sony guy, this didn't bother him in the slightest. He said they've never done it before so didn't expect them to start now. So I think this is true, but it's less of a problem because it's expected by at least some PS users.

Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo

Can't believe we're only 4 weeks away from release!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat
4 hours ago, Skiver said:

Speaking to my brother who's a Sony guy, this didn't bother him in the slightest. He said they've never done it before so didn't expect them to start now. So I think this is true, but it's less of a problem because it's expected by at least some PS users.

I had a PS4 Pro and some games I was pretty well into so it'd definitely bother the hell out of me.  I was still thinking about getting a PS5 some day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver
1 minute ago, LostCat said:

I had a PS4 Pro and some games I was pretty well into so it'd definitely bother the hell out of me.  I was still thinking about getting a PS5 some day.

There's definitely some games I've played and not finished so if that was to happen, yep I'd be pretty frustrated but if this is expected from most of the PS guys, it's probably not seen as a big deal.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
George P
2 hours ago, Skiver said:

There's definitely some games I've played and not finished so if that was to happen, yep I'd be pretty frustrated but if this is expected from most of the PS guys, it's probably not seen as a big deal.

 

 

Not a big deal to them or they're just giving Sony a pass again.  Honestly if MS couldn't sync your saves it'd be headline news for a week.   I don't much care which system someone buys and plays on but the double standards irk me to no end.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
George P

Another back compat vid from DI.  

 

 

Looks pretty clear to me, just get a good external SSD for older games and cold storage of newer games till you need them, then copy them over.  Once the expansion cards drop in price, which shouldn't take long IMO, you can pick one of those up for next gen games.

 

I saw a post saying they're going to have multiple options for the expansion cards later, no surprise when you think about it.  I think we could all expect a future 2TB card on the way, but they might actually have smaller 512GB cards for sale to, multiple makers so prices will come down quicker.

 

I personally expect to see a official 3rd party adaptor so you can use any speedy nvme you want to show up later on as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
LostCat

Eh I did end up preordering that storage drive again.  It'll be nice to have at least 2TB(ish) of decent native storage to work with, and I should basically never have to buy storage again.

 

And an Eero 6 pack to move most of my setup to wireless and a Sonic Blue controller because of course I did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By anmol112
      Microsoft's Xbox app gets updated with support for remote play on Android and iOS
      by Anmol Mehrotra



      Microsoft has released a new update for its Xbox app for Android and iOS users. The latest update brings support for remote play as well as the new UI that made a debut on Xbox consoles with the October 2020 update last week.

      In case you don't know, remote play allows users to stream gameplay from their Xbox console to smartphones via WiFi. The feature is a bit different from Microsoft xCloud as it requires the user to physically own a console and stream the gameplay. In contrast, Microsoft xCloud allows users to play games without owning an Xbox game console.

      Here is the full changelog for the update:

      The changelog for the update is the same for both Android and iOS. On Android, the app has been updated to version 2009.1016.2010 and is available for download from the Google Play Store. Meanwhile, on iOS, the app has been updated to version 2009.1009.1918 and is available for download from the App Store.

    • By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft: We can recoup $7.5bn Bethesda purchase without putting games on PlayStation
      by Usama Jawad

      Microsoft made quite some waves in the gaming industry last month when it announced that it is acquiring ZeniMax Media for a staggering $7.5 billion. ZeniMax Media owns several high profile game development studios Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog, and Roundhouse Studios. The purchase meant that all these studios are coming under the Redmond tech giant's first-party umbrella, which led to questions about whether future games from them would also be launching on PlayStation platforms.

      While Microsoft's Phil Spencer stated that existing commitments such as Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo's timed PlayStation 5 exclusivity will be honored, he stated that for other games, the company will decide "on a case by case basis". Now, the executive has shed some more light on this matter.

      In an interview with Kotaku, Spencer clearly stated that Microsoft does not need to release Bethesda's upcoming The Elder Scrolls VI on PlayStation platforms to recoup its $7.5 billion purchase. The executive then went on to say that:

      While Spencer's wording is vague enough to not be considered as a flat-out refusal of bringing upcoming ZeniMax games to PlayStation, it does indicate that Microsoft is under no such pressure. Clearly, with its success with Game Pass and xCloud, the company has a huge market of players to tap into.

      All in all, it won't be surprising if Microsoft decides not to release future ZeniMax Media games on PlayStation platforms. It might even be able to attract more gamers to its cloud streaming solutions if buying an Xbox console is out of the question for hardcore Sony fans. You can check out Spencer's interview in its entirety by hitting the source link below.

      Source: Kotaku

    • By indospot
      Microsoft launches a Bing app for Xbox
      by João Carrasqueira

      Microsoft has announced a new Bing app for Xbox consoles, which is meant to make the company's search engine more readily accessible on its family of gaming hardware. In terms of basic features, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a Bing app, with web and image searches, so you can get help with a game without using your phone or PC, for example.

      It does have some more interesting features, though. Microsoft says the Bing app can help users discover recommended and tending games, along with videos and news about games. The app also uses data about the games you and your friends play to deliver its recommendations and search results. Plus, if you search for images, you can easily set search results as your Xbox wallpaper, which makes customization a bit easier.



      The Bing app for Xbox also integrates with the Microsoft Rewards program, so you get points for performing searches. But Microsoft also added some new ways to reward users with more points, like quizzes and polls. Finally, the app also supports voice search, which is probably easier than navigating an on-screen keyboard with a controller.



      The app is available to download now, and you can install remotely on your console using this link. It's currently only available in the United States, but it should make its way to more markets soon.

    • By Rich Woods
      Microsoft reveals the first Xbox Series X|S Optimized games
      by Rich Woods

      When Microsoft's Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles launch on November 10, they'll have the largest library of games that any console has ever had at launch. The reason for that is pretty simple. The new consoles can play every game that you could play on the Xbox One family, including games playable via the Backward Compatibility program, which were originally made for the Xbox 360 and even the original Xbox.

      These games are going to get improvements just by running on the new consoles, but of course, there are games that are getting enhancements for the new generation. Today, Microsoft revealed the list of games that are set to be optimized for the Xbox Series X|S on day one. Here's the list:

      If you've got Xbox Game Pass or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, you already have access to these games. And for many of them, the update is free if you own it. Microsoft also noted that there are other games coming soon like Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Destiny 2: Beyond Light, The Medium, and Cyberpunk 2077.

      Microsoft's two new consoles are set to arrive on November 10, and if you haven't pre-ordered yet, good luck finding one. You might have better luck in stores on launch day.

    • By indospot
      Microsoft extends warranty for the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
      by João Carrasqueira

      Microsoft is extending the warranty of the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, the premium controller it debuted last year, according to a support document spotted by Windows Central. Before, the controller's warranty period was only 90 days, but it's now being extended to a year, which covers the entire period since the controller launched in November of last year. The change is also retroactive, meaning if you paid for a repair before, you'll be refunded by October 31.

      Microsoft says this is because a "small percentage" of customers have experienced mechanical issues with the controller, which is understandably frustrating in a controller that cost $179.99. Earlier this week, it was reported that the Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 became the subject of a class-action lawsuit due to issue with "drifting" joysticks, where the analog sticks register input even when users don't touch them. The lawsuit had been going on for longer, targeting various other Xbox controllers.

      Notably, Microsoft isn't the only company under fire for similar issues. Nintendo is facing a similar class-action lawsuit against its Joy-Con controllers for the same reason. In response, the company began repairing Joy-Con for free, even outside the warranty period, if any issues came about with the analog sticks, which the company still seems to be doing based on our experiences.

      The lawsuit against Microsoft states that the problems derive from an issue with the potentiometer in the joystick mechanism. With the changes to the warranty policy, Microsoft may be able to clear itself of charges related to the lawsuit, though it remains to be seen if newer versions of the controller have had the root cause fixed.