[Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion

I expected the S to be...well, frankly, not worth my time.  And so far it's been great.

I'll still trade up to an X when I can but I'm glad I picked this up.

7 hours ago, LostCat said:

I expected the S to be...well, frankly, not worth my time.  And so far it's been great.

I'll still trade up to an X when I can but I'm glad I picked this up.

Unless you care about res over frame rate when gaming then the S is a good little box for the price. 

35 minutes ago, George P said:

Unless you care about res over frame rate when gaming then the S is a good little box for the price. 

I care about both really, and the One X really wasn't doing it as far as frame rate.  I was avoiding playing plenty of games on there.

• 2 months later...

This looks pretty cool for any Series S owners, makes it pretty portable.

• 1 month later...

You know, I find it extremely insulting that Microsoft is charging $219.00 for a 1TB Seagate SSD drive and not letting users use an SSD drive of their choice to store and play the games directly from it. Yes, you can use an external USB drive of your choice, but only to store the games. If you want to play them, you have to transfer them to the Xbox internal SSD.

Like seriously, WTF where they thinking about? No point in paying $299.00 for an Xbox Series S and then have to spend an extra $219.00 for an SSD. Ridiculous.

On 21/07/2021 at 11:42, spacelordmaster said:

You know, I find it extremely insulting that Microsoft is charging $219.00 for a 1TB Seagate SSD drive and not letting users use an SSD drive of their choice to store and play the games directly from it. Yes, you can use an external USB drive of your choice, but only to store the games. If you want to play them, you have to transfer them to the Xbox internal SSD.

Like seriously, WTF where they thinking about? No point in paying $299.00 for an Xbox Series S and then have to spend an extra $219.00 for an SSD. Ridiculous.

I have a Series S, and am ok for the time being on the 500 GB SSD, since I came from an OG Xbox One with 500 GB HDD. We're starting to see more next-gen games (or Series X/S optimized), and they are taking up quite a bit of space, so 500 GB will be less than ideal. I am really hoping once the Seagate exclusivity ends, that more choices will be available, and prices will come down. 

• Like 1

Part of the price is the fact it's the smaller cards.  2230 iirc,  compared to the longer 2280s that most people pop into their PC.  Supply and demand aren't the same between the two, so it impacts the price.  It's also a custom setup with it's heatsink etc.   We'll see what happens when it's open to others, I expect some custom adaptor card will hit the market that lets you pop in the longer cards so you can buy what you want.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 16:42, spacelordmaster said:

Yes, you can use an external USB drive of your choice, but only to store the games. If you want to play them, you have to transfer them to the Xbox internal SSD.

Not quite. If you want to make the most of Series X or S games they need to be on the internal SSD, anything else will happily play from the external drive. 

For the few games that I've moved from the external HDD to the SSD, it's taken around 5-8 mins for the transfer. Not ideal but hardly painful.

On 23/07/2021 at 12:06, dipsylalapo said:

Not quite. If you want to make the most of Series X or S games they need to be on the internal SSD, anything else will happily play from the external drive. 

For the few games that I've moved from the external HDD to the SSD, it's taken around 5-8 mins for the transfer. Not ideal but hardly painful.

I think with that time you can plan accordingly.  Maybe not so much if it's a spur of the moment type of deal but otherwise, start the transfer, go do something else and by the time you come back it'll be done.

Regardless, I expect the external cards price to drop in time, and also they'll have a bigger 2TB version at some point.

For me though, because of how I play most games once (sometimes twice), and then move on, the 1TB internal in my series X will keep me covered.  I just don't keep games installed after I'm done and have moved on.  Plus with game pass anyways, I'm more or less looking at them as rentals.  Play, finish, return (uninstall), then move on.

On 21/07/2021 at 10:42, spacelordmaster said:

as they said I've played lots of games from an external SSD.  The Series Optimized games need the internal or custom drive, anything else runs great on an external SSD.  I had three external SSDs hooked up at one point, realized I hardly needed that many games installed though.

PS5 also won't let you run PS5 games from external storage on another note.

Are any of these good to use as an external SSD for the Xbox Series S/X? If not, what would you recommend?

Screenshot from 2021-07-28 05-51-18.png

Screenshot from 2021-07-28 05-50-50.png

Screenshot from 2021-07-28 05-50-22.png

If you're going with a straight M.2 drive and enclosure you might want something better equipped for the heat they put out.  I'm considering this one if/when I need it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Arion-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B07ZKB4SLK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=strix+usb+enclosure&qid=1627485753&sr=8-2

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 11:24, Randomevent said:

If you're going with a straight M.2 drive and enclosure you might want something better equipped for the heat they put out.  I'm considering this one if/when I need it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Arion-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B07ZKB4SLK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=strix+usb+enclosure&qid=1627485753&sr=8-2

So what would be an ideal external SSD for the new Xbox consoles? Any recommendations?

On 28/07/2021 at 13:10, spacelordmaster said:

So what would be an ideal external SSD for the new Xbox consoles? Any recommendations?

The Xbox Series ports appear to only be USB 3.0 still so it might not matter too much.  I like my Crucial X8 and Sandisk Extreme personally, not sure if they're the best options out there but they do the job (the X8 is on my PC atm.)

• Like 1

Has anyone here tried the Call of Duty HD Textures update on the new Xbox Series S/X?

Is this textures update going to make any difference  if you have a 1080p/60Hz monitor?

On 01/08/2021 at 01:22, spacelordmaster said:

Has anyone here tried the Call of Duty HD Textures update on the new Xbox Series S/X?

Is this textures update going to make any difference  if you have a 1080p/60Hz monitor?

I haven't bought a CoD since....Ghosts was $20?  I think?  So no, but almost all texture packs these days are meant for 4K gaming.

I have never had a console before in my life. I have always gamed on PCs and I have to tell you I am over impressed with this Xbox Series S console. I cannot believe that this tiny box, the size of a shoe box, can produce such amazing visuals. The Nvidia card on my PC is more expensive than this thing was and its graphics are not as good. It's quite impressive the technology behind this thing. Can't beat it for $279.00 that I paid for it brand new at BestBuy. Got a 10% discount because the box seemed a little damaged but unit inside was fine.

I have been playing Call of Duty: Cold War multiplayer and its been a blast. Even got a 1440p monitor to go with it. An LG Ultragear 32GN600-B QHD 165Hz HDR10 Monitor w/FreeSync. Got that baby at Walmart for $239.00. Everywhere else was at $349.00. It looks pretty nice. 

I am new at this console thing so its been quite a challenge to work with the controllers but I'm getting used to it. It's one fun little box.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2021 at 00:17, spacelordmaster said:

I have never had a console before in my life. I have always gamed on PCs and I have to tell you I am over impressed with this Xbox Series S console. I cannot believe that this tiny box, the size of a shoe box, can produce such amazing visuals. The Nvidia card on my PC is more expensive than this thing was and its graphics are not as good. It's quite impressive the technology behind this thing. Can't beat it for $279.00 that I paid for it brand new at BestBuy. Got a 10% discount because the box seemed a little damaged but unit inside was fine.

I have been playing Call of Duty: Cold War multiplayer and its been a blast. Even got a 1440p monitor to go with it. An LG Ultragear 32GN600-B QHD 165Hz HDR10 Monitor w/FreeSync. Got that baby at Walmart for $239.00. Everywhere else was at $349.00. It looks pretty nice. 

I am new at this console thing so its been quite a challenge to work with the controllers but I'm getting used to it. It's one fun little box.

If you don't have it, get Game Pass. Such a great value and allows you to play all sorts of games. 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2021 at 14:47, tsupersonic said:

If you don't have it, get Game Pass. Such a great value and allows you to play all sorts of games. 

I tried the Game Pass but to be honest, I didn't like the games they have and since all I play is Call of Duty and Battlefield, the Xbox Live Gold seems to be sufficient. It's one powerful little box I can tell you that. Amazing.

I have a technical question for you guys:

I have a 1TB SSD connected to my Xbox Series S to save gameplay. Is there any way to access that SSD from Windows through the network without having to unplug it from Xbox and connecting it to the PC?

I don't think there is any sort of network share support via the Xbox.   Another way to lock things down probably.   If there is I haven't seen it posted to this day.    You can access network shares going from the PC on the console though.

• Like 1

Not interested in this but it makes me wonder what other whacky custom XSX designs they can do for other games with the shape of the system.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Asher Madan
      Select Insiders can now go back to using Xbox 360 gamerpics on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
      by Asher Madan

Even though we're two console generations past the Xbox 360, many gamers remember those days fondly, despite the "Red Ring of Death" that plagued earlier devices. Lately, a slew of Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S owners have been asking Microsoft for a way to go back to their Xbox 360 gamerpics.

Well, Xbox Engineering Lead Eden Marie took notice and delivered. Today, she said that Xbox Insiders in the Alpha - Skip Ahead ring would see a new option in the "Change gamerpic" section of their profiles.

Your Xbox 360 gamerpic should appear there, and you'll be able to select it. Luckily, Eden also fixed how they display on modern consoles a few weeks ago so it should look great on your TV.

If you wanted to use that old Master Chief gamerpic from Halo 3, now's your chance.

• By Usman Khan Lodhi
      Xbox is making a return to Tokyo Game Show this year
      by Usman Khan Lodhi

Tokyo Game Show, a renowned video game convention, is held annually in September in Japan. This event primarily showcases Japanese games, but some international developers use it to announce their upcoming releases. Tokyo Game Show 2021 will begin on September 30 and last four days. In usual circumstances, the physical event is reserved for industry attendees for the first two days and the general public can attend during the final two days.

This year's event will also be happening online like last year due to the coronavirus, and Xbox Wire revealed today that it will be present at the event with a virtual stream curated for Japanese and other Asian players. Following Xbox's return to the event last year, the virtual stream will begin on Thursday, September 30 at 6 pm JST.

Microsoft stated that its stream will be a celebration with its Asian community and feature locally relevant updates. The firm won't be announcing any new global debuts during the stream, the blog post read. Specifically, it will focus on the latest regionally relevant updates on previously announced gates that are due to arrive later this year.

Xbox social channels in Japan, Korea, and China will also feature the Tokyo Game Show 2021 Xbox Stream.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Xbox Cloud Gaming and Remote Play comes to the Xbox app on Windows
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Last month, Microsoft began testing an updated version of the Xbox app on Windows that let users jump into console games via Xbox Cloud Gaming, or Remote Play, straight through the app. While that was only for Insiders, Today, Microsoft has begun rolling the feature out for all users.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate users on PC (Windows 10 and up) will now see a Cloud Gaming tab on the app for easy access to the hundreds of console experiences available. They will need to be in one of the 22 supported regions and have a compatible controller connected though. When playing, the games are integrated with the Xbox Game Bar for quickly using Xbox social elements like joining groups or inviting friends into sessions.

Keep in mind this arrives in addition to the already available browser-based experience on Xbox.com/play and does not replace it.

Meanwhile, the Xbox app is also now capable of streaming directly from an Xbox Series X|S home console, or any system from the Xbox One family. With this, the complete console experience from an owned device will be mirrored straight into a PC running the app, either via the local network or even the internet.

This feature is building on previous Xbox Remote Play versions, so in addition to improved stability, 1080p 60FPS support, and streaming support for compatible Xbox 360 and Xbox Original games are all present too. Keep in mind this does not require a Game Pass subscription like the aforementioned cloud play offerings of Microsoft. Download the Xbox app for Windows 10 from here.

• By Abhay V
      Movies Anywhere app launches today for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles
      by Abhay V

Disney’s official Movies Anywhere app is now becoming available for Xbox One and Series X|S users from the Microsoft Store. The addition of the app brings a native solution for those that use the service to purchase and watch content across platforms. Earlier, users could watch purchased content via the Redmond firm’s Movies & TV app on both Windows and Xbox.

Movies Anywhere has been available on most major platforms on both mobile and streaming hardware, including the likes of Apple TV, Fire TV Stick, Android TV, and select smart TVs from LG, Samsung, and more. While the Xbox app adds another native solution, it also brings with it support for 4K resolution, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos, making it a viable option for users that have their Series X|S consoles hooked up to hardware that supports these standards.

The Movies Anywhere app also brings with it the Watch Together feature that allows for users to view content together – like a viewing party – by sharing a ‘Screen Pass’, bringing feature parity with the app on other devices. The service’s recently added ‘My Lists’ feature that provides personalized suggestions and more will also be a welcome addition for Xbox users. Those that have connected their Microsoft account with Movies Anywhere will be able to purchase content directly from the Microsoft Store, just like before.

Overall, the launch of the official app in native form makes it a useful addition for Xbox users. You can head to the Microsoft Store here to get the Movies Anywhere app. It must be noted that the ability to connect users’ Microsoft accounts to the service is applicable only to users in the U.S.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft Weekly: Windows 11 builds, new zero-day vulnerability, and gaming news
      by Abhay V

Another week has passed, and a lot has happened in the world of Microsoft. There were new Windows 11 builds for both the Dev and Beta channels, information about another refreshed app for the OS came from Windows chief Panos Panay, a few vulnerabilities were reported on - including a zero-day that affects all Windows versions, some security fixes, and a bunch of gaming news. Check all this out and much more in our weekly Microsoft digest for September 5 – September 11.

Windows 11 builds, new apps, and a rebranded service

As was expected, Microsoft released new Windows 11 builds for both Dev and Beta channel users. While Dev channel users got build 22454, Beta channel users were served build 22000.184. The Dev channel build brought a few minor UI improvements, such as a modern right-click menu for the Recycle Bin and more. It also included a ton of bug fixes, something that the Beta channel did not see, as those users received a couple of fixes to address translation inconsistencies. The firm did, however, note that fixes that were made as part of the Dev channel build will be released to the stable version in the way of servicing updates after the OS releases on October 5, which does seem odd. Additionally, Dev channel users that wanted to perform a clean install could download new ISO images of build 22454.

The week also brought news of a Photos app refresh, a welcome addition for those who have hoped for the in-box app to be more aesthetically pleasing and feature-rich. Of course, another expectation is that the app brings some much-needed reliability and performance improvements. It is to be seen if that is the case, as the app is yet to begin rolling out.

Speaking of refreshes, Microsoft announced a rebrand of its news service to Microsoft Start. The new service doesn’t bring much in the way of additions or features and the branding change is being applied across platforms, including on the web, in Windows, and the mobile apps. In the area of updates, there is also a new Edge 95 build for the Dev channel. It does not come with many new features, which is because it is still an early build for major version 95.

For those still on the fence about installing Windows 11 builds on their machines, we have been looking at the various components of the OS and documenting them in our Closer Look series. This week, we went over the improvements and changes coming to the Virtual Desktop experience in Windows 11 and compared it to that in Windows 10. And to gin up enthusiasm about the upcoming OS, Microsoft has posted a new ad on YouTube and is also speaking about how the OS makes the best of new hardware.

Windows zero-day vulnerability, Outlook bug, and Azure patch

There were a couple of security issues reported this week, the most significant of which was the zero-day in Windows that can enable specially tailored Office files to let attackers perform remote code execution. Microsoft acknowledged the vulnerability, adding that it is currently being exploited in the wild. The firm has said that it is working on a fix and expects to release a fix soon. The zero-day affects all Windows versions going back to Windows 7 and the corresponding Windows Server release.

Another security vulnerability affected Outlook users, where a bug had the potential to falsely flag phishing emails as genuine, thanks to the service not filtering IDs from Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs). While the firm denied having plans to fix the issue to the researcher that discovered it, it appeared that the firm changed its mind and fixed the issue, which is always a good thing.

On the positive side of things, the Redmond firm changed how Microsoft 365 apps deal with Trusted Documents to make them more secure. Now, Trusted Documents no longer override the Protected View restrictions and adheres to pre-set policies. Another fix – this time affecting commercial customers – came in the way of a patch for a vulnerability in the Azure Container Instances (ACI) service. The issue risked data leaks across the same clusters, but the firm was quick to note that it found no indication of active exploits.

Halo Infinite’s next multiplayer preview, Alan Wake Remastered screenshots, and more
      Starting off the week’s gaming roundup is news about Halo Infinite’s next multiplayer preview, which starts September 24. However, the sign-up cut-off is soon approaching, with the date set for September 13. Those eligible will receive invites on both the PC and Xbox platforms. As for the changes, 343 Industries detailed the tweaks it is planning to make based on the first technical preview's feedback.

For those excited about Alan Wake Remastered, screenshots of the game appeared on Amazon UK before the official announcement arrived with details on the changed elements and PC system requirements.

An extended look at Marvel's Midnight Suns also came this week in the form of visceral gameplay footage. Considering that the footage is of the game in its alpha stages, the animations and visuals were still unpolished but gave a better look at the villains. Fallout 76 Worlds Update also began rolling out, bringing Public and Custom Worlds. However, only Fallout 1st subscribers will be able to host Custom Worlds. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers, luckily, will receive Fallout 1st subscription for one month. Bethesda also acknowledged an issue with Season 5’s rank-ups, which is why it extended the season by two weeks.

Square Enix revealed the Fall and Winter 2021 Roadmap for Marvel’s Avengers, noting that it is working to address player’s concerns and bringing improvements to Gear, Resources, and Cosmetics.

Coming to Microsoft’s gaming subscriptions, this week’s Deals with Gold included hefty discounts on games from BioShock, Borderlands, and Dragon Ball franchises. Additionally, this week’s Xbox Free Play Days games included Madden NFL 22, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege, and Blasphemous.

For Forza Horizon 5 fans, we have listed the current list of cars confirmed by Playground Games , which is over 400 in number. Cars from the likes of BMW and Tesla are obvious omissions and there is no word on whether they are expected later. This week, we also posted a list of every 120FPS supported game on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 (PS5).

Rounding off gaming news is Flight Simulator’s next World Update. This time, central European nations are receiving love, including Austria, Germany, and Switzerland. As usual, there are a bunch of new airports, New Bush Trips, landing challenges, and Discovery flights, and overall improvements to the visuals in those countries.

Dev channel:
      Microsoft will soon let chat supervisors delete messages in Teams chats Microsoft acquires a video-editing software startup named Clipchamp Xbox Insiders will receive an update for their controllers that improves latency Microsoft offers GPU-accelerated ML training on Windows 10 and WSL via TensorFlow-DirectML Benchmarks show Ubuntu 21.10 outperform Windows 11 in certain use-cases You can still use proper Internet Explorer (IE) in Windows 11 using a Chrome extension Logging off:

When Windows 11 began being offered to testers, it was discovered that Windows 11 Home users could not complete the setup process without an internet connection. We found out a workaround, which was soon patched. Now, there is yet another way to bypass this block, which we have detailed in our guide here. Big thanks to Neowin member warwagon for sharing with us the method.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or through this link.