[Official] Xbox Series X & Series S Discussion

Ok, it's up and running, well, it's "off" now and installing Jedi Fallen Order (yay game pass ultimate).   Setup was smooth except I had started it on my phone with the Xbox companion app and it was going fine till it got to the point where it tries to sign you in with your account.  Kept erroring out, so I switch to the console, no issues there.

small'ish 775MB day 1 update, plus a quick controller update.  I like the new controllers feel, the textured grips are great IMO.  The very first time I started it up it felt like it took long, might just be that very first time though, I have it set to instant on after this so I'll see how it goes.   Man it's quiet though, at this point but I haven't played a game yet, still the only thing I could hear was the disc drive kicking in as it boots up, normal console stuff.

I bought mine directly from the Microsoft store and got it on the 10th. So far, I am impressed with the load times coming from my Xbox One S and the quick resume feature has been really nice. Only issue I have now is that my TV only supports 60fps instead of the 120fps, but I guess I will survive!

I will agree with @George P that the controllers is wonderful and the console is quiet even under high load. Where I have mine setup is not the best area for heat when I forget to open the cabinet drawer and even then the fan is whisper quiet. So far, I am very happy with my purchase! Can't wait for more games to release their updates and optimizations!

10 hours ago, George P said:

Ok, it's up and running, well, it's "off" now and installing Jedi Fallen Order (yay game pass ultimate).   Setup was smooth except I had started it on my phone with the Xbox companion app and it was going fine till it got to the point where it tries to sign you in with your account.  Kept erroring out, so I switch to the console, no issues there.

small'ish 775MB day 1 update, plus a quick controller update.  I like the new controllers feel, the textured grips are great IMO.  The very first time I started it up it felt like it took long, might just be that very first time though, I have it set to instant on after this so I'll see how it goes.   Man it's quiet though, at this point but I haven't played a game yet, still the only thing I could hear was the disc drive kicking in as it boots up, normal console stuff.

I just tried Jedi Fallen Order on the X1X and even with it on an SSD at times the load times are insane.  I gave up for now o.o

4 hours ago, LostCat said:

I just tried Jedi Fallen Order on the X1X and even with it on an SSD at times the load times are insane.  I gave up for now o.o

I'll see how it goes when the time comes, I'm actually still going through gears tactics on my pc.  Once I'm done with that I'll jump on it. 

On 15/11/2020 at 23:52, spacelordmaster said:

The smoke...I guess people were doing that on purpose with vape pens by blowing the smoke in the bottom.  MS released a statement telling people not to do this.

I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order on my X this week, no issues other than from the game itself.  You can tell it's not optimized for the newer hardware, sometimes it loads pretty quick, respawns are ok from time to time but then every now and then it it takes hella long to respawn for some reason.   Game also doesn't support quick resume I don't think?  When I get back to it, it does pick up where I left off, for a split second till it tosses up a error saying there was a profile change and it goes to the main menu.   It's weird since I only have one profile on the system but go figure?  

Has anyone else had that sort of problem with any games?

2 hours ago, George P said:

I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order on my X this week, no issues other than from the game itself.  You can tell it's not optimized for the newer hardware, sometimes it loads pretty quick, respawns are ok from time to time but then every now and then it it takes hella long to respawn for some reason.   Game also doesn't support quick resume I don't think?  When I get back to it, it does pick up where I left off, for a split second till it tosses up a error saying there was a profile change and it goes to the main menu.   It's weird since I only have one profile on the system but go figure?  

Has anyone else had that sort of problem with any games?

You know I had that exact same experience with my Xbox One X.  Some of the loads on Fallen Order just made no sense at all and I stopped playing it.

1 hour ago, spacelordmaster said:

So you think the Series S is a worthy console to get? or the Series X is the better choice?

It depends on what you want. 

Series X is the better choice is you want the best of the best, but if that's not your thing the Series S is a great choice too. 

Do you have 4K TV to make the most of the Series X? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spacelordmaster said:

So you think the Series S is a worthy console to get? or the Series X is the better choice?

I would say go for the X because if you need to expand the Ss SSD it'll cost just as much as the X.

3 hours ago, spacelordmaster said:

If you want to start small or already have external SSDs the S should be fine for a lot of people.  It depends.

The X can take advantage of the existing One X Enhanced library though, and the S can't.

9 hours ago, LostCat said:

You know I had that exact same experience with my Xbox One X.  Some of the loads on Fallen Order just made no sense at all and I stopped playing it.

Yeah, I chalk it up to the game itself doing something funky.  Going from the main menu back into a saved game is quick each time though.  And going from planet to planet feels pretty quick though since I haven't played it on older gen or on my PC it's hard to say for sure.  Normally after I pick a planet to go to, rough estimate, 6-8 seconds.  

When I'm playing the game though, it's pretty fun.    Combat levels up as you get deeper in the story and can do more things.  A few of the boss fights are fun once you get the hang of their attacks.  But in some cases once you do and you do a bit of damage they switch up on you.    Overall I like the game, just needs to be updated to take advantage of the newer systems I think.

• 1 month later...

So just a question for other owners of the Series X.

I set mine up to be Instant On, so no hanging around for game updates etc.  I noticed a few weeks ago that the console's fan was constantly spinning when in the low power state and I could feel some hot air being exhausted. 

Is this normal? My One S was also in the low power state but it wasn't something that I noticed with that console.

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

So just a question for other owners of the Series X.

I set mine up to be Instant On, so no hanging around for game updates etc.  I noticed a few weeks ago that the console's fan was constantly spinning when in the low power state and I could feel some hot air being exhausted. 

Is this normal? My One S was also in the low power state but it wasn't something that I noticed with that console.

I have mine set up the same but haven't noticed that, I haven't been keeping track through. Maybe some games updates being installed at that time? 

• 2 months later...
On 25/03/2021 at 20:14, LostCat said:

Finally.  Got a Series S.

Keeping the One X until I can trade them both in for a Series X.

Holy geebus this storage expansion drive is tiny.

I got a Series S in early March. I used the Microsoft Rewards program to get mine. I had enough points for a Series X, but just could never get to it when it was in stock. So, I gave up and settled for a Series S, and I’m glad I did. I don’t even have a 4K TV, so series S is fine. I am now saving up my Microsoft Rewards points for the Series X revision. Just need to get a 4K TV now. Loving Quick Resume and higher frame rates in games. 

1 hour ago, tsupersonic said:

I got a Series S in early March. I used the Microsoft Rewards program to get mine. I had enough points for a Series X, but just could never get to it when it was in stock. So, I gave up and settled for a Series S, and I’m glad I did. I don’t even have a 4K TV, so series S is fine. I am now saving up my Microsoft Rewards points for the Series X revision. Just need to get a 4K TV now. Loving Quick Resume and higher frame rates in games. 

It was just kinda funny, I'd just bought an SSD for my PC just cause I didn't think I'd be able to get a console anytime soon,

So now I have ~2.5TB more in SSD space over what I had.  I don't think I needed that much!  Heh :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LostCat said:

It was just kinda funny, I'd just bought an SSD for my PC just cause I didn't think I'd be able to get a console anytime soon,

So now I have ~2.5TB more in SSD space over what I had.  I don't think I needed that much!  Heh :)

Can never have too much storage, especially SSD 😛

2 hours ago, tsupersonic said:

Can never have too much storage, especially SSD 😛

hey I'm not saying I can't use it 😄

and I got a really good USB one so I can move it to whatever system I want it on

At this rate, and the whole chip shortage BS going on, who knows when we'll see any revisions.   It'll be interesting to see what a new series x design could turn out like.  The same tower design but slimmer maybe?  I don't know if you can go shorter.  If they could pack the series x into the size of the series s that'd be big.