Neowin Community Minecraft Server

Message added by Brandon H,

Server Address: mc.neowin.net

Currently Running Vanilla 1.19.3

3 hours ago, Slugsie said:

...?

okay it should be working now if you'd like to test it out :)

I had thought I got it added yesterday but it turns out it's one of the few you actually have to unzip so it wasn't being picked up before.

I double verified this afternoon and it's listed under the datapacks command now so should be working.

let me know if there's any issues with it (Y) 

Thanks. Seems to be working OK, it's not perfect but better than anything I've cobbled together in Vanilla before now. I really wish they would implement something like the old Buildcraft pipes.

I think years ago dinnerbone said hoppers and minecarts are the pipes of the game so i wouldnt hold my breath for pipes yet :D 

7 hours ago, Louisifer said:

I think years ago dinnerbone said hoppers and minecarts are the pipes of the game so i wouldnt hold my breath for pipes yet :D 

I know, and it's really annoying. Using them in anything even vaguely compact is impossible.

agreed. hoppers, detectors, and minecarts aren't the greatest solution.

Buildcraft pipes were okay but had their own downfalls (though in a way that made them so they weren't too overpowered either)

my favorite sorting system was from the Red Power 2 mod with the pneumatic tube system; it was extremely versatile

so guys. This hosting service we have now has a couple interesting features.

They have an instance manager and modpack support for Feed the Beast packs and that. It allows creating multiple instances with different setups/maps and switching between them. What would you guys think if we switched things up every now and then and planned like a skyblock weekend sometime or something?

could help draw some more players if we have special events like that every now and then.

Just so I'm clear, we can put the current world on hold, run a separate world for a special event for a few days/weeks, then go back to the current world when the event is over?

I wouldn't mind switching to a FtB pack for a while, to be honest Vanilla does get a bit stale after a while and the extra mechanics some of the better/bigger packs bring does spice things up.

Could be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

Just so I'm clear, we can put the current world on hold, run a separate world for a special event for a few days/weeks, then go back to the current world when the event is over?

yep that's exactly how it should work.

I do miss the old modding community; a lot of the best mods never updated past 1.12.2 :/

3 minutes ago, Frank B. said:

was bound to happen at some point being owned by Microsoft.

account merging isn't the end of the world though; I was afraid the article was about ending the java edition development or moving it to another lower team or something.

• 1 month later...

Next quarters server fees are due in a couple weeks, so I've chucked some more $$$ in the pot. The message at the head of the topic suggests we've got enough already, but probably best to have at least one payment in hand available.

We definitely need to do something to drum players up, the server is totally dead. I've not seen anyone else in ages, not that I've been on as often as I used to be myself. Maybe time for a week of a different world/challenge?

I have been mega busy with work, but when i do join i am like ermmmmm what to do next? ive done everything i can, so i think Slugsie is right maybe its time for a different challenge or restart? My daughter is talking about making a Mushroom tree house for her next home so i think she wants a reset, could always backup world in case people want to go back to it or maybe a moded server? most moded packs out now are more stable than the last moded pack we had on which was Craftpack? i think  which was full of bugs!, plus moded is more fun than vanilla, more to do and could get the server packed out!

Thoughts on moded pack to use?

PS ill add some more money to the pot on Monday or Tuesday!

yeah I think a reset would entice me more to join too. I've been super busy at work lately  due to the holidays too so haven't really looked into much but I may do some looking tomorrow. The server supports all the main modpacks so I'll probably pick out a few for us to choose from. Of course a backup of this world will be kept in case we ever want to go back to it as well.

okay I'm looking through the FTB modpacks and here are the ones I'm considering for us.

Let me know if any of them sound interesting enough to try. A community cooperative sky block could be interesting even if we just want to do weekends with that or something :)

It's been a long time since I played any FTB, so I'd like to try out FTB Revelation.

BTW, the FTB launcher seems to be very flaky. It's taken a few tries to get it to install and run FTB Revelation.

1 hour ago, Slugsie said:

BTW, the FTB launcher seems to be very flaky. It's taken a few tries to get it to install and run FTB Revelation.

weird I didn't have any issue personally but if your computer doesn't play nice with the launcher you could try the classic FTB launcher or MultiMC supports FTB packs as well. I've always been a fan of the simplicity but capability of MultiMC

https://multimc.org/

Twitch sold off Curse to overwolf recently and tomorrow is the last day before they rip the last of curse out of the Twitch App, overwolf servers will probably be a little flakey for the next few days as everyone who used a supported game (MC, WOW etc) make their transition to the new owners.

I got the FTB client installed OK, but it took a couple of goes to get FTB Revelations installed. Reading the support forums quite a few people have had the exact same issue. I've also found that running FTB Revelations pack needs LOTS of RAM. The minimum recommended in 4GB, but I've found that I need 8GB for it to be smooth (although I am also using the Sphax 64 pack, so that won't help).

It's running OK now on a local world, so I'm ready to try it out.

2 hours ago, Slugsie said:

I got the FTB client installed OK, but it took a couple of goes to get FTB Revelations installed. Reading the support forums quite a few people have had the exact same issue. I've also found that running FTB Revelations pack needs LOTS of RAM. The minimum recommended in 4GB, but I've found that I need 8GB for it to be smooth (although I am also using the Sphax 64 pack, so that won't help).

It's running OK now on a local world, so I'm ready to try it out.

yeah Revelations has 143 mods on it so if it doesn't work out we can always try one of the lighter packs.

edit: and we're up and running. give it a go :)

edit2: optifine isn't installed by default so try adding that to see if it helps the pack run better as well

http://optifine.net/adloadx?f=OptiFine_1.12.2_HD_U_F5.jar

finally got on, was a pain, laggy at first but seems quite smooth, nut it was a pain to install took me about 6 attempt's

dang I must just be lucky. Had no issues installing on my desktop, laptop, or Shadow subscription environment.

I'm pushing it to the limit on Shadow; have x32 BDCraft textures with the modpack patch for the extra textures + I'm running a shader pack through OptiFine :D still get 30ish FPS on average. Takes like 10 minutes for the client to load up though lol

edit: with the texture pack and shader pack it uses like 10GB RAM lmao :rofl: 

Yes, the 10+ minutes to load the client, then another couple of minutes to load the server and settle down are frustrating.

I'm using the x64 BDCraft texture pack, no optifine (I've never gotten along with Optifine). 8GB Ram allocated, and it's using most of it. Still getting 75fps in the open. :)