Neowin Community Minecraft Server

Message added by Brandon H,

Server Address: mc.neowin.net

Currently Running Vanilla 1.19.3

On 12/09/2021 at 07:56, Matthew S. said:

Anyone active on the server anymore?

Yep me and my Daughter are on most the time, haven't seen anyone else's on since server changed to FTB Cotton, get yourself on go claim some land and get building.

how does one claim land? 😛 (been awhile and not too familiar with ftb cotton)

On 14/09/2021 at 04:40, Matthew S. said:

how does one claim land? 😛 (been awhile and not too familiar with ftb cotton)

I've recently reformatted my PC and haven't reinstalled FTB yet, but as I recall you open the map, and you can select the chunks and claim them from there.

Press M (Default key) then top left there's a icon looks like a map, above the plus symbol, click that then the main map will change into a square grid, left click to claim a chunk on the map, right click to un clam, when you've claimed it it will change colour (you can also select colour you want in map options). that chunk is yours nobody can do anything in it, nothing apart from die lol.

Yes Slugsie, when I first joined I was like, why cant I punch this tree, or grass when I first spawned in then took me about 30mins to realise you claimed spawn chunk lol.

On 15/09/2021 at 12:43, Nuculi said:

Press M (Default key) then top left there's a icon looks like a map, above the plus symbol, click that then the main map will change into a square grid, left click to claim a chunk on the map, right click to un clam, when you've claimed it it will change colour (you can also select colour you want in map options). that chunk is yours nobody can do anything in it, nothing apart from die lol.

Yes Slugsie, when I first joined I was like, why cant I punch this tree, or grass when I first spawned in then took me about 30mins to realise you claimed spawn chunk lol.

Hmm, I should probably change that. ;) I had a problem whereby one of the chunks I have claimed won't let me do anything. I've claimed/unclaimed etc, no joy. Probably an odd bug in the claiming code.

On 15/09/2021 at 20:41, puma1 said:

anyone have any idea how to install ftb cotton on a mac?

Download ATLauncher for Mac, that's what i use, for windows but there is a Mac version too.

On 15/09/2021 at 14:41, puma1 said:

anyone have any idea how to install ftb cotton on a mac?

does the FTB launcher not work on mac? i thought there was a version for mac

if not the other launchers mentioned will hook into FTB as well and provide the modpacks. They aren't as fast to update when new versions of packs release but that's not really an issue with Cotton as it hasn't updated in a long while

On 16/09/2021 at 12:03, puma1 said:

Once you have the AT launcher or any loauncher, how do you load the file I downloaded from ftb?

look through the launcher and its settings; there should be an area to link/load FTB packs.

Personally don't like FTB launcher as it installs something else with it, ATLauncher is my fav i had problems with MultiMC crashing sometimes.

On 16/09/2021 at 14:28, Nuculi said:

Personally don't like FTB launcher as it installs something else with it, ATLauncher is my fav i had problems with MultiMC crashing sometimes.

yeah wolf something or other, the new owners of FTB, they force their stuff in and it runs in the background so I can understand not liking the main launcher anymore.

can't say I've ever had an issue with MultiMC crashing, though I haven't used it with FTB packs much so maybe that's a factor. the dev is great though and may be able to look into and fix those crashes if you provide him the logs

That Overwolf crap is something that has always bugged me about the FTB launcher, if it at least closed when you close the FTB Launcher it might not be so bad, but it's left running at all times.

Just trying out the ATLauncher, seems to work OK so far.

Think I've found a bug in FTB cotton, I've searched high and low for 3 days straight looking for Nickel Ore, its not even shown in NEI and its needed for some of the machines, i have found it very rare in chests in villages but its like finding a needle in a haystack and its very rare find, so has anyone got any Nickel Ores ? ? is there a way to add it to the game, its a shame cause im actually enjoying this mod pack.

NVM you can get ores through a machine, dust that is but still I'm sure that ores should spawn in the world too.

• 5 months later...

Hi there, How's everyone,

As 1.8 whatever is out I'm wondering can we switch the server to it with all mods like /back and graveyard mod just basic ones like we used to have when playing vanilla

I haven't been on server for awhile or my daughter as were only the 2 on when we are on and we have gotten abit bored with FTB Cotton.

Don't get me wrong was a good pack, missing a few mods i think but i think might be due a change as I've started to get into Minecraft again playing better Minecraft which is also good

Maybe we could switch to that or vanilla what are peoples thoughts??

I don't think many of you play on server as never see you on maybe being in the UK and the server in America has something to do with it but love to see the community back on like the olden days when it was first launched

Let me know what you people think but love a reset on Vanilla 1.8

Thanks hope to see you on the server sometime

Hey Nuculi

A reset to a vanilla server may be happening soon anyway as we may be switching to a free server with slightly lighter resources.

I myself haven't been active in the server for a while and I don't think many others have either and donations actually stopped coming in so out of kindness I've actually covered the last couple payments. I can't continue to do that though so am going to start looking at alternatives. One of the free servers that I had previously looked at before this setup is actually viable now so may look at that again.

Modding isn't what it used to be with Minecraft anymore so Vanilla with a few datapacks should do us plenty I think :)

I'll post an update once I play around with a couple options and find something satisfactory for us as I do like having a community server :) 

yeah I think a lot of people stopped donating because of the pandemic and what's going on in the world now, but if you can get a free server be great.

man there just aren't any good free hosts anymore :( none of them support 24/7 online anymore. even Aternos which I was thinking of using now that I can keep its console open at all times will just shut down the server is no players are in for a period of 5 minutes :(

On 09/03/2022 at 18:17, puma1 said:

how much is it for a paid one for the year?

on our current host it looks like it would be about $122 if we switched to yearly payment.

edit: our current invoice of $53.89 is due as of today too so we'll need some donations for that soon or the server might get paused by the host.