Neowin's NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

No. I don't think they can. They are having some injuries and just beat up players. Toronto doesn't have that great of team speed, and I think that will hurt them in the long run. They are having solid goaltending, but I don't think that they have enough firepower down the stretch. I'd like to see them win, and I hope they do, but I just dont see it.

Not enough firepower? You mean Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Leetch, McCabe, Kaberle and Reichel doesn't do it for you?

No. I don't think they can. They are having some injuries and just beat up players. Toronto doesn't have that great of team speed, and I think that will hurt them in the long run. They are having solid goaltending, but I don't think that they have enough firepower down the stretch. I'd like to see them win, and I hope they do, but I just dont see it.

Tru dat. (leaf hater here)

:p

I agree with Matrix about Leafs not winning it all this year. Belfour is good, but I don't think he can last all playoffs. But its nice to see Leetch back in the playoffs.

To start a good discussion, who is coming out of the east? why?

The Wings have an experienced team and that's why I don't see the Preds taking that series.

As for Bruins/Leafs I think that the Leafs could take the Bruins. I don't beleave that Raycroft is ready for the finals.

Raycroft is phenominal! Rookies don't get this good!

:happy:

To start a good discussion, who is coming out of the east? why?

Leafs. :p No one else can run with them. Experience, goaltending, toughness and skill.

@ Stu: He'll choke just wait.

Leafs. :p No one else can run with them. Experience, goaltending, toughness and skill.

@ Stu: He'll choke just wait.

just for that choke comment: the bruins will match everything the leafs can bring to the ice. although i'd probably take eddie over raycroft. eddie = savage.

just for that choke comment: the bruins will match everything the leafs can bring to the ice. although i'd probably take eddie over raycroft. eddie = savage.

If its all equal you'd pick Eddie then that means leafs win, no?

If its all equal you'd pick Eddie then that means leafs win, no?

damnit!

:blush:

i got nothin. they're my top 2 picks so either way i win.

hehe

For sure but the Habs looked good tonight.

well they had to win one. and you knew it would be their first game at home. next game the habs will look silly.

:p

Not enough firepower? You mean Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Leetch, McCabe, Kaberle and Reichel doesn't do it for you?

Quite frankly. No.

The players that you have listed there are good players, but I don't think they have what it takes to win down the stretch. The leafs have relatively the same team for the last couple of years and have gotten severely outworked in the second round of the playoffs. The veterans don't seem to have enough gas, and the younger players wont step up. Kaberle, Leetch, and McCabe are all defensemen, you cant rely on them to score GWG and if you do, your club has some serious problems. I only have faith in Sundin and Roberts to score goals out of that bunch. Mogilny doesn't have enough heart, and hasn't been the playoff performer that the leafs have needed the past few years. The leafs need something more than Domi and Tucker mucking it up. Roberts scored two the other game, but before that, Sundin's line only had a collective 1 shot the previous game. That is not going to win playoff games. If the leafs want to win, they will have to stay injury free, and get lots of contribution from Sundin and Roberts, maybe a few goals by Niewendyk, but he is old as well. I'm not saying old is bad, but it can hurt you in the long run.

I also agree, Toronto will probably, factoring in history, choke in the playoffs. Ottawa and Toronto, two bitter rivalries, Ottawa has been upset and likes to upset teams, I think Ottawa can win easily. For one, Toronto getting Tucker back is good and bad. Tucker takes dumb penalties, bad idea when Ottawa is the #1 power play in the league, but Tucker does antagonize and has some skill. Two, all these players you mentioned, I only see two real scorers. Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Leetch, McCabe, Kaberle and Reichel, you say? Sundin is the only real player outta the bunch that can explode into huge numbers in the series. Mogilny hasn't seen his skill return like he had in Vancouver with Bure, although, he's gotten back to some of that. Roberts, I love him, he's gritty, a scorer, but not big numbers, same with Nieuwendyk, and he's fragile. Leetch, McCabe, Kaberle - all defensemen, not gonna provide tons of offense, but they are pretty good defensemen, but the main person to think about is Belfour in net, he's the real stopper.

Toronto has some massive size to throw around, but Ottawa is showing it can bite back. I think this series will go 6 or 7. Toronto should win it though.

With Cloutier out, the Canucks don't have a chance. Hedberg is not playoff caliber. You Canucks fan's had better hope his injury isn't serious.

Personally, I hate the Canucks. Now maybe the Flames have a chance.

Go Avalanche and Bruins!

For a team to win these days they need production from their defence. Kaberle, Leetch and Mccabe provide it. The Leafs had one of the highest production ratings from their D core that is butter in the playoffs. As for the vets, it's all about coming through in the clutch. Nieuwendyk and Roberts have been here before and know what it takes to win. This experience will come in handy in a game 7 situation. For sure the Leafs have to say healthy but as LRoling said Belfour can steal games for you. Overall, with Lalime in his current health position I don't think the Sens can take us and other than them who else is going to bring it?

With Cloutier out, the Canucks don't have a chance. Hedberg is not playoff caliber. You Canucks fan's had better hope his injury isn't serious.

Personally, I hate the Canucks. Now maybe the Flames have a chance.

Go Avalanche and Bruins!

Take a look at Hedberg's run in the playoffs in '01 with the Pens. He played unbelievable, they just didn't have the bodies to go all the way. I'm quite sad that Clouts is out, but Hedberg can carry us too.. He's real good out of the net which helps us out on the PK.

sens rock

Ditto. I hope they beat the Toronto Maple Leafs and move on but if not, well it's a shame. I have faith in the Avs though. Today they're gonna take 'em out and finish them off in Game 4.

I think the Leafs will win that series, but I'm not so sure about the second round for them...

The avs are looking strong, it's going to be very tough to take them out this year with any team.

The avs are looking strong, it's going to be very tough to take them out this year with any team.

the stars still have a chance to knock the avs out. all it takes is one bounce of a puck, one penaty, or one injury and the avs will out of the playoffs.