Neowin's NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Dealing with Iggy to win is fine but a hit from behind is coward like. It takes a real man to hit another face to face but the type of hit Ohlund threw sets a bad example for the kids and teaches them that doing anything to win is fine. It's not! I have no fear however that Ohlund will get what's coming next game. If it weren't the playoffs I'd expect a 2 game suspension for intent to injure. The idea you made that he let up makes it that much worse. Is killing someone or paralysing them justifiable to win the cup? You and I both know it's not and it is stunts like these that give our game the horrific image it already has.

Ohlund did what was needed and got it done. Iggy should've stayed cool, now it's gonna be even more interesting in game 4. As much as I love Cloutier, Moose showed me that I can trust him now. Cooke was prolly the best player out there, so I can't wait til tuesday! GO NUCKS!

I always liked him as a goalie, he was good in pittsburgh when we actually had somewhat of a decent team.. he should do well in the playoffs.

Dealing with Iggy to win is fine but a hit from behind is coward like. It takes a real man to hit another face to face but the type of hit Ohlund threw sets a bad example for the kids and teaches them that doing anything to win is fine. It's not! I have no fear however that Ohlund will get what's coming next game. If it weren't the playoffs I'd expect a 2 game suspension for intent to injure. The idea you made that he let up makes it that much worse. Is killing someone or paralysing them justifiable to win the cup? You and I both know it's not and it is stunts like these that give our game the horrific image it already has.

Fighting isn't very good to set an example either. :shifty: Really, it's the playoffs. Alot of calls weren't made and believe me, I'm talkin both ways. Hopefully no one else gets injured, just irritated and taken out of his game.

:whistle: .... GO! NUCKS! GO!

Who's going to give it to Ohlund? ...Simon? LOL

Simon could... you forget his days in Washington I take it.

Iggy gave it to Tootoo earlier this year and Ohlund is no Tootoo.

Oliwa is the Flames major enforcer and would make a mess of Ohlund. He ranks in the tops of enforcers.

@ djgramma: Fighting is more fair than a cheap shot from behind. In a fight you can defend yourself. A hit from behind is unseen and unavoidable.

heh, interesting hockey today. all the teams that lost the road games won their home games today. not a single series is at 3-0 is it?

heh, interesting hockey today. all the teams that lost the road games won their home games today. not a single series is at 3-0 is it?

Not as of yet man.

GO CANUCKS! Interesting to see Ohlund fight, don't see that often. Hedberg + Cooke were awesome tonight. Can't wait until game 4. :woot:

BMac, the thing is.. there is hardly any fighting in the playoffs. Suter is a smart coach and isnt just going to tell Oliwa to knock Ohlund's head off.. I mean he may get checked pretty hard sometimes, but Ohlund is a big boy and can handle himself. The Canucks have one of the biggest, most powerful defences in the entire NHL. I mean, you can try and deal with Ohlund, but this series will take a toll on both teams, just like the leafs and sens series.

I'm not talkin about fair, you were arguing, like all people do, about the image of the game and how the kids take it. Really, a captain shouldn't fight. I've never seen Nazzy fight someone. Set an example.

It's hockey tho, so really the image shouldn't be questioned. Not until, heaven forbid, another Bertuzzi incident happens.

BMac, the thing is.. there is hardly any fighting in the playoffs. Suter is a smart coach and isnt just going to tell Oliwa to knock Ohlund's head off.. I mean he may get checked pretty hard sometimes, but Ohlund is a big boy and can handle himself. The Canucks have one of the biggest, most powerful defences in the entire NHL. I mean, you can try and deal with Ohlund, but this series will take a toll on both teams, just like the leafs and sens series.

Don't kid yourself. The hit on Iggy is similar to your incident on Nasy from Steve Moore. Teams will react. Fact is Oliwa is not an intrinkle part to the team. If it takes him getting suspended to prove a point I expect him to. As for your comment on Ohlund being a big boy, granted in stature he is large but in a fight with Oliwa he would be handled easily. Then if Ohlund gets jumped your next strongest D is Jovo and theirs no way in hell he's the third man in because your team can't afford to lose him.

@ djgramma: Fighting has always been an excepted part of hockey but hitting from behind has always been frowned upon. People will buy a ticket to see a fight, not a dirty cowardly hit from behind.

No way, you don't seem to have a great hockey knowledge. No coach will let one of his 6 defencemen get suspended for something stupid in the playoffs like that. Lydman wasn't on the bench for the 3rd period. Do you think they want to go down to 4 and have to call up either their scratches or players from the farm with little or no experince? No way. Not when Suter is coach at least. He is smart and plays the game tactically.

No way, you don't seem to have a great hockey knowledge. No coach will let one of his 6 defencemen get suspended for something stupid in the playoffs like that. Lydman wasn't on the bench for the 3rd period. Do you think they want to go down to 4 and have to call up either their scratches or players from the farm with little or no experince? No way. Not when Suter is coach at least. He is smart and plays the game tactically.

I don't have hockey knowledge? Oliwa is a forward. :p

My mistake mate.. You got me there ;) ..I will stick to it that Suter wont let his team go and do something dumb though.

My mistake mate.. You got me there ;) ..I will stick to it that Suter wont let his team go and do something dumb though.

I think I've proven my point. If you follow the Flames at all you'd know Oliwa is their enforcer and that's it. Him making a stand like this is his job, hence the 234 minutes in penalties.

Anyways, Calgary has been a heck of a team to play against. Kiprusoff has played well, but Vancouver has put up some great goaltending too. I don't think Calgary is as deep of a team as Vancouver, and that will be the main reason why Van will win the series.

BTW there's a reason refs don't call alot of things. We in Van city forget about em, since we seem to overcome them anyways.

Iggy's a hothead and it was only a matter of time before Ohlund got to him. If it takes a hit from behind that wasn't called, so be it. Please look at alot of things the Flames did to Cloutier and then tell me his injury wasn't helped by a particular team...

I think I've proven my point. If you follow the Flames at all you'd know Oliwa is their enforcer and that's it. Him making a stand like this is his job, hence the 234 minutes in penalties.

Your point was that the Flames would sacrafice Oliwa for a suspension to take out Ohlund. I guarrante that wont happen. A couple punches in the face may happen, but nothing too serious. We have KILLED Calgary on the power-play, Suter doesn't want Van to get more chances.

PS, I don't follow the Flames, I follow the Canucks. But I have lots of hockey knowledge and played the game at AAA levels all my life.

BTW there's a reason refs don't call alot of things. We in Van city forget about em, since we seem to overcome them anyways.

Iggy's a hothead and it was only a matter of time before Ohlund got to him. If it takes a hit from behind that wasn't called, so be it. Please look at alot of things the Flames did to Cloutier and then tell me his injury wasn't helped by a particular team...

Iggy plays with intensity and will play the body. I wouldn't go as far as to call him a hot head but being shut down by Ohlund would be frusterating. The hit from behind cannot be compared to the Cloutier thing. Cloutier has been bumped I'm not going to deny that but his injury had nothing to do with it. Did you not see him roll on his leg in the scramble. That's what did it. Also note that Cloutier has had a history of knee injuries. This is not a total shocker that it's his knee. It was going to be that or his groin. Anyways, the injury just relieves him from his patented screw up of letting in a shat goal. :p

@ Matrix: I never doubted that VC had more depth and they probably will win but I do believe this will be a tough series for you.

Edit: Suter may have no control over Oliwa once he's out. Look at what Tuzzi did, there's nothing Crawford could have done to control that. **** happens in the NHL and if Oliwa knocks Ohlund out next game then oh well I won't feel sorry for him. :p

Yes it will be tough, I just hope we can win as soon as possible.. this is a series that is taking a toll on us (and the flamers too) ;)

Yes it will be tough, I just hope we can win as soon as possible.. this is a series that is taking a toll on us (and the flamers too) ;)

For sure and the Ohlund thing is just going to make it that much rougher.

too bad the flames lost.. it was good hockey to watch tho. one of the more exciting series i think.

:D

btw, i hate the habs.

:devil: