• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

SPeedY_B    0

If you have an ipod (or external drive) you're willing to wipe, you do not need to burn the image.

session    0

tigerss.jpg More screenshots :)

Dashboard isn't as bad as I thought actually. The new UI of quicktime is a little bit... - need more work. I couldn't find automator. Spotlight is awesomeness. :)

PureEdit    0

You dont need a DVD Burner, just install it from panther or some other OS X. I could probably get it on a CD if I wanted, but installing from panther worked perfect.

Automator is still called Pipeline in this build, use spotlight to find it.

I am installing as my main OS now (from tiger) and will post more info when I get back.

If you have an ipod (or external drive) you're willing to wipe, you do not need to burn the image.

You dont even need to wipe it, just install.

session    0

Well, I wouldn't use it as main OS :/

Steve    2

I just created a smart playlist, for all music added in the last 6 months, which made about 6Gb. Then used the remaining space to install Tiger! :) Best of both worlds.... ;)

Steve    2
Well, I wouldn't use it as main O:/:/

Pipeline is in the Applescript folder in Applications. Looks like a Domino:p:p

So the only people who've ran Tiger so far, is G5 users, and a G3 iBook ? Anyone else?

PureEdit    0

Tiger is now the only OS on my iBook HD, things are working great.

I am suprised how stable this is compared to the WWDC build of panther. I will post my findings and problems here during the next few weeks.

So the only people who've ran Tiger so far, is G5 users, and a G3 iBook ? Anyone else?

Looks like it, it wont load on my friends power book 12''.

session    0
Tiger is now the only OS on my iBook HD, things are working great.

I am suprised how stable this is compared? to the WWDC build of panther. I will post my findings and problems here during the next few weeks.

Looks like it, it wont load on my friends power book 12''.

I couldn't connent to PC from Network. I had to go Apple+K and typed in the IP. QuickTime doens't open some files which can be opened in Panther. Other than that, things were good. (I only played with it for like 30 min)

Oh, they also need to fix the arrows in Sys Pref. They don't look right compared with the ones in Safari or Finder.

brn2prgrm    0

I have Tiger running on my 800mhz G4 iMac without any problems. The only thing I don't like is I don't get the cool ripple effects on the dashboard becasue my gfx card is too old. :( oh well

session    0
Pipeline is in the Applescript folder in Applications. Looks like a Domino?:pp

Oh I run it on G5. But Fusion couldn't get it installed on G5://

I was trying to look for Automator lol

Oh, not many widgets in Dashboard yet, which is kinda disappointing.

Edited by session

SPeedY_B    0

Some report it to work fine on DP 1.25 G4's

session    0
Some report it to work fine on DP 1.25 G4's

It should work better with G4 or G3 now I guess?! Heard of it from somewhere.

Wickedkitten    12

Are you lot just installing it from the disk image or what?

NinjaMonkey82    0
Oh, not many widgets in Dashboard yet, which is kinda disappointing.

Just curious, did you try to use any Konfabulator widgets with Dashboard? They are both Java/XML based right?

brn2prgrm    0
Are you lot just installing it from the disk image or what?

Nah, I just burnt the disk image to a DVD using Disk Utility and my superdrive, and it installed without any problems. Just run the Install Tiger.app, or whatever, on the dvd and it should boot from it without any problems.

Wickedkitten    12
Nah, I just burnt the disk image to a DVD using Disk Utility and my superdrive, and it installed without any problems. Just run the Install Tiger.app, or whatever, on the dvd and it should boot from it without any problems.

ah right, i was just curious cos pureedit said he installed it without burning it to a dvd

brn2prgrm    0
Just curious, did you try to use any Konfabulator widgets with Dashboard? They are both Java/XML based right?

Nope, Apple's widgets are much more advanced in that they support the safari webkit and they are like mini-web pages. They are composed of HTML, CSS AND JavaScript. This means they can support JAVA, Flash, etc. I haven't found where Apple stores the gadgets either, and im doubting they're going to be in raw readable form like Konfab widgets are.

session    0
ah right, i was just curious cos pureedit said he installed it without burning it to a dvd

put it to ur ipod and install from there? I burnt it tho.

PureEdit    0

I had the dmg on my iBook, and installed it to my iPod from INSIDE OF Panther (see your PM). It worked well, so I installed it on my iBook HD from INSIDE TIGER running off of my iPod. No burning needed.

The installer is is called OSInstall.mpkg, it is in /System/Installler/Packages on the DVD Image.

Running it off the CD/DVD just loads a minimal OS X version anyway, so this is the same thing.

Timan    558

Damn no ipod or superdrive :( guess I have to wait for a different tiger image and try to convert that :( sucks

NinjaMonkey82    0
Nope, Apple's widgets are much more advanced in that they support the safari webkit and they are like mini-web pages.  They are composed of HTML, CSS AND JavaScript.  This means they can support JAVA, Flash, etc.  I haven't found where Apple stores the gadgets either, and im doubting they're going to be in raw readable form like Konfab widgets are.

This should be interesting I can't wait to see what kind of widgets that people start developing for this. Seems like you can do much more that what Konfab can.

Timan    558
OK... I may have a solution to both the kernel panic problems and the for the people without a DVD writer. With this solution, you don't need to burn anything.

I was also experiencing kernel panics when I booted from a burned DVD on a 12" PB. I actually believe the kernel panic to be a problem in the kernel that starts up on the install DVD to get the installer in front of you... once WWDC Tiger is installed, all's well (so Tiger's kernel is fine).

What you will need:

1) an external FW hard disk (like an iPod) that you don't boot from and you could stand it if you lost the data on.

2) The WWDC Tiger IMG file you got from BT

What you need to do:

1) BACK UP ALL IMPORTANT DATA!! This is absolutely the first step when dealing with this kind of software. It will probably kernel panic and take whatever data it was using down with it. So back everything up. We're not going to wipe your current hard drive, but you never know what might happen

2) Plug in your external hard disk (in my case, an iPod)

3) Mount the Tiger IMG so you have it as another disk on your system.

4) On the mounted Tiger disk image, look inside he /System/Installation/Packages folder.

5) Inside that folder will be an 'OSInstall.mpkg' file - run it.

6) You will be presented with the usual OS X installer. When it comes to choosing where to install, select the external hard drive. Go through the rest of the installer as normal (you can choose not to install certain non-vital components if you're limited in disk space).

7) When it is installed, open System Preferences and click on Startup Disk.

Cool Choose the new 10.4 folder from the list of bootable places, then click 'reboot'.

9) Your Mac will now boot into WWDC Tiger Mac OS X 10.4 Pre-release.

Nice

Hope this helps.

Saw that on another forum and so far its working :| this is on an iBook g4

PureEdit    0
Damn no ipod or superdrive :( guess I have to wait for a different tiger image and try to convert that :( sucks

Partitions work as well, so you should be able to find a way.

It would be pretty easy to make the image fit on a CD, but I have no reason to now.

Chad    0

Hmmm. Where is the semi-glossy Aqua we saw at WWDC?

Timan    558

Yep, got it installed only took like 10 min, could get used to that ;)