• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

Crowmac    0

wow cheers for that, never knew that:)

XP_01    0

Just installed Tiger with Panther's installer (worked fine). This preview is a bit of a disappointment I expected more new things in it. But it's always cool of-course to see what Apple's doing.

shodan    0

I'm just doing the coolest thing I've ever done in my computer life... Installing an OS within another OS while watching a movie.... and it's going flawless.... on an iMac G4 1ghz.... :woot:

More comments about Tiger and how it works later this night, after I've come from work.... :(

post-60-1088686367.jpg

Steve    2

I am confused, I thought the computer had to restart, and run the installer outside of Mac OS X.. How do you do it inside?

hoyablue    1
I am confused, I thought the computer had to restart, and run the installer outside of Mac OS X.. How do you do it inside?

I think he's intalling it on his iPod.

NinjaMonkey82    0
I am confused, I thought the computer had to restart, and  run the installer outside of Mac OS X.. How do you do it inside?

I'm confused too. How would you install this on a Firewire HD without burning the DVD? It seems like some people have done it, but if the installer makes you restart I don't see how it was possible, maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by NinjaMonkey82

Steve    2

Exactly how i am feeling, I installed it from a DVD, on my iPod, but i restarted the computer...

Someone, enlighten us mere mortals! ;)

Elliott    235

Mount the Disk Image. On the Disk Image, get out of the folder it normally goes to and go to "System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg". It'll bring up the Tiger installer. Install it on your iPod or Firewire HD like normal and close it. When you're done, go into System Preferences>Startup Disk and choose to startup from 10.4.

hoyablue    1
Exactly how i am feeling, I installed it from a DVD, on my iPod, but i restarted the computer...

Someone, enlighten us mere mortals! ;)

I think there is an actual insaller app that you can open on your DVD without reinstalling your computer.

shodan    0
Mount the Disk Image. On the Disk Image, get out of the folder it normally goes to and go to "System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg". It'll bring up the Tiger installer. Install it on your iPod or Firewire HD like normal and close it. When you're done, go into System Preferences>Startup Disk and choose to startup from 10.4.

Exactly how I've done it... except that I've booted pressing command, so I could choose which disk to boot, iPod or Hd... :D

I'm at work now... I've test it only for few minutes... it seemed somehow slow... maybe it's because it's running from the iPod....

... one thing, I tried to open dashboard... how could you add more gadgets?? I only had calculator... and another one i don't remember now...

Elliott    235

There should be a little bezel-like thing at the top with all the widget names. Just click on a widget name and it'll open for you.

NinjaMonkey82    0

I'm really tempted to try this out since I have a Firewire HD. I didn't want to have to waste a DVD to install it but since you don't have to burn it I think I'll set it up once a I get home. Anyone run it on a TiBook yet?

fuzzy_logic    0

If I install Tiger on an external HD, would it have any effect on my Panther? Does it change any system preferences or anything like that?

NinjaMonkey82    0
If I install Tiger on an external HD, would it have any effect on my Panther? Does it change any system preferences or anything like that?

No, it would be a completely different system. External is the way to go if you are going to test something like this and only have one machine.

Crowmac    0

just installed tiger from my ipod, doesnt seem to be slow at all and like what i have seen so far, cannot wait for the next addition they bring out.

XP_01    0

A question, I just found out that when I add a new widget it won't do that throw-stone-in-water-effect. Is that normal for this build??

NinjaMonkey82    0
A question, I just found out that when I add a new widget it won't do that throw-stone-in-water-effect. Is that normal for this build??

It only works with certain graphics cards. At least that was what some people were saying.

XP_01    0
It only works with certain graphics cards. At least that was what some people were saying.

grrrrr :crazy:

They'll fix that right?......right?

Steve    2

I see... Never heard of that one before! Cheers 'mate' :p :laugh:

NinjaMonkey82    0

Who knows....

I have a feeling it uses Core Image to make the effect. So as long as you can use Core Image with your card then it should work.

Steve    2

Its not really Apple's fault, so i don't suppose they will / can 'fix it'. The technology is utilizing newer technology than your GPU supports. Thats not something Apple can really fix...

For more info - http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html

Steve    2
Who knows....

I have a feeling it uses Core Image to make the effect. So as long as you can use Core Image with your card then it should work.

Yea, it does use Core Image, but the tech is a little different. Unlike Quartz Extreme (Which is either enabled or NOT, dependent on your hardware), Core Image tech is scaled to work and produce effects as best as possible, based on the hardware. So its fair to say all 'current world' systems support it, but at different levels... If that makes sense...

XP_01    0
Its not really Apple's fault, so i don't suppose they will / can 'fix it'. The technology is utilizing newer technology than your GPU supports. Thats not something Apple can really fix...

For more info -  http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html

Well that's nice considering I just have this eMac for like 3 months or so... :crazy:

Very cool of them to include features that only ?2000,-+ desktop machines support!

Bling3k12    1

The eMac's never been their highest class machine... It's cheap for a reason... the graphics card is fine, it just won't support their higher end effects.

*loves his Radeon 9700 Mobility* :p

Anyways... Shodan, can I have a link to that background? I'd really like it ;)

Steve    2
Well that's nice considering I just have this eMac for like 3 months or so... :crazy:

Very cool of them to include features that only ?2000,-+ desktop machines support!

Yea man, i totally understand why you'd be a little annoyed, my brother bought an eMac not very long ago (1.25GHz / 1Gb / SuperDrive) but the Radeon 9200 falls below Core Image's optimal specs.

But you can't blame Apple for utilizing current technology really... Its their job to move the OS forward, and they've by no means crippled users without the 'latest and greatest' hardware. In contrast they've made Core Image suitable for ALL computers, by making it Scalable.

I'll quote 'the evn show' in what he said in another similar post -

What would those who have 'old' hardware prefer: that the entire macintosh world sits patiently for 5 years until they're ready to buy a new video card?