Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

shodan    0

Let me guess, you've opened the dmg image on your dvd from Panther, and then launch the install right?

Well it won't work like that, you have to burn the dmg with diskimage under OSX, and then you'll have a bootable DVD...

Pixelwix    0

my sister took my ipod on her trip to chitown, so what i did was i reinstalled pather but made two partitions and installed panther one, when i got into panther i installed tiger on the other.

post-60-1088787795.jpg

Pixelwix    0

i can't find the quicktime wedigt or the stock quote one. is it not in this build?

Elliott    235

Nope, neither of them are in the Dev Preview.

PureEdit    0

Where can you add new widgets and view the source for the current ones?

Wickedkitten    12
Ok, hi I am new yada yada yada. With a n00b, here come a new problem.

Here's the deal. When I try to start the installer (I have burnt it on a DVD) it will tell me to restart the Computer. I did that, and then once the computer is done restarting, nothing happens? I put the .DMG file in the CD (because I had to burn it on Windows, because my Apple Airport was working correctly) and then I put it on my Mac and everything started fine. Everything except the setup. I then tried the other way, but it won't show any other HD or Partition. I don't have an external HD nor do I have an IPOD (I really should get one too :p). Can anyone help me here, or am I doomed?

- Thabass

you cannot burn a bootable mac cd in windows. Use the installer method that pureedit said earlier in the thread

Wickedkitten    12
Where can you add new widgets and view the source for the current ones?

/system/library/gagdetplugins I think

aristotle-dude    0

You guys have to remember that this is an earlier build of Tiger than was previewed at the Keynote so some of the effects might not work as expected yet even on supported hardware. We will have to wait until later on to find out what the requirements are. I will bide my time and see if my current hardware is supported well enough before putting it on ebay. :)

Pixelwix    0

there is one third party gadget made so far nothing big but still cool.

Smiley.gadget

Elliott    235
/system/library/gagdetplugins I think

Nope. /Library/Gadgets/. You can view any of the source code. It's just a few plists, html files and css files bundled with a name.

PureEdit    0
Nope. /Library/Gadgets/. You can view any of the source code. It's just a few plists, html files and css files bundled with a name.

Thanks ;)

Wickedkitten    12

hmm I wonder what the gadget plugin folder does then.

the evn show    138

You can create your own gadgets with a coyp of textedit (or emacs) and and a few hours of spare time.

Step 1:

Create a website that works the way you want your gadget to work.

Step 2:

Create a file called "Info.plist" that contains the following data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.
com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>AllowMultipleInstances</key>
        <true/>
        <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
        <string>com.apple.gadget.IDENTIFIERFORYOURGADGET HERE</string>
        <key>CFBundleName</key>
        <string>GADGETNAMEHERE</string>
        <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
        <string>SHORTVERSIONOFYOURGADGETHERE</string>
        <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
        <string>LONGVERSIONOFYOURBUNDLEHERE</string>
        <key>DefaultImage</key>
        <string>default</string>
        <key>Height</key>
        <integer>HEIGHTOFYOURBUNDLEINPIXELS</integer>
        <key>MainHTML</key>
        <string>THE"INDEX"FILEOFTHEWEBSITE</string>
        <key>Width</key>
        <integer>WIDTHOFYOURBUNDLEINPIXELS</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Step 3:

Place the info.plist file into the folder with the website, renamethefolder to whatever.gadget.

Step 4:

Place the whatever.gadget folder into /Library/Gadgets (~/Library/Gadgets will probably work too)

Step 5: log-out/log-in.

Step 6: Press F12 and see that your new gadget is in the list.

I've written a few basic onces already. I'm trying to figure out the methods for pulling data off the web (like the sharktank) because I bet I could write some cool stuff.

Elliott    235
hmm I wonder what the gadget plugin folder does then.

Well, I'm taking a guess here but it seems it's used to hook gadgets into applications.

macman87    0
Don't blame Apple. If the card can't handle the functions, it can't handle them. Nothing that Apple can do will change that.

well, they are creating software that requires the latest and greatest aren't they? and isn't that there strategy? the software sells hardware?

its okay, since i am hoping to get a g5 powerbook when it arrives :p

hoyablue    1
well, they are creating software that requires the latest and greatest aren't they? and isn't that there strategy? the software sells hardware?

its okay, since i am hoping to get a g5 powerbook when it arrives :p

You are truly an apathetic individual if you believe that newer software should competely suppoort older hardware. Technology changes all the time and if anything, Apple is been committed to making its operating systems compatible with older systems. In fact, the recent operating systems released by Apple have caused speed improvements in older systems; something its Windows counterparts lack. I'm sure if Apple had the capabilities to do so, they would make Tiger's "Core Image" fully compatible with older systems.

Morever, you are foolish if all you look for are "video effects". What matters is the system itself, not the pretty GUI. MS-DOS was a very stable operating system and it had no "bells and whistles". Be thankful that Apple is even making Tiger compatible with older systems and is also making it faster.

radioboy    1

Here's what I'd like in Tiger

I'd like a battery indicator that's FRICKING ACCURATE

I hate having it say 5:12, a seconds later jump to 3:05, stay normal for a while, then say 1;30 when I'm at 10% left

macman87    0

nspeds, were u referring to me with your post ^ ?

thekore    0
Here's what I'd like in Tiger

I'd like a battery indicator that's FRICKING ACCURATE

I hate having it say 5:12, a seconds later jump to 3:05, stay normal for a while, then say 1;30 when I'm at 10% left

re-calibrate your battery, or if you have had it for 1 year, buy a new one :happy:

Elliott    235
re-calibrate your battery, or if you have had it for 1 year, buy a new one :happy:

He just got it. :laugh:

Wickedkitten    12

anyone else notice the new screensaver yet

Steve    2
anyone else notice the new screensaver yet

What does it look like? I wanted my iPod back, so i trashed Tiger! :laugh:

Wickedkitten    12

I've made it small for the modem users, thats actually taking the news off the apple site as well

AppleNews.mp4

Steve    2

that looks cool! Cheers... is it kinda reminiscent of the iTunes / iPod video, in terms of effects and all... its hard to judge from a low quality vid. Thanks tho, looks cool! :)

Pilsbury    0

Didn't realise all you folks were at WWDC :p

Must have been a long flight from Cali back to the UK when you were just itching to install 10.4...

:woot: