Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

Anyone tried this on a Pismo or a Lombard? I don't have an iPod to install to and I don't want to format my drive. Too much important information to loose.

Just partition with that new lossless tool that somebody posted about.

The screenshots in this thread are interesting. To me it seems that they must working hard on Tiger at Apple because within the time they burned all the DVD's with Tiger on it and the keynote, so much is different. I think in one year, Tiger will have changed a lot, and this pre-release will be nothing compared to the final.

Fluid

The screenshots in this thread are interesting. To me it seems that they must working hard on Tiger at Apple because within the time they burned all the DVD's with Tiger on it and the keynote, so much is different. I think in one year, Tiger will have changed a lot, and this pre-release will be nothing compared to the final.

Fluid

Yep.

This build is stable, because not that much has changed from panther. Pipeline is still in need of tons of features, and so are some other things, like the Sync Service. I bet we will be seeing a lot more features for the final version.

Fluid

I agree. I am debating in my head as to whether I should really install this Tiger DVD that I have in my hand.

I agree. I am debating in my head as to whether I should really install this Tiger DVD that I have in my hand.

I would say, install it someplace... Have a 'play' with it if you're bored... But IMO, there's not a tonne of stuff, to keep you busy for too long... Not that I am complaining, its progression :)

Quick question, does anyone have the SDK for Dashboard Widgets?

No, but I would not be surprised if they leaked sometime.

There is quite a bit of new stuff in tiger, I am still finding new changes. This is my main OS for now, I have not had any problems yet. QT did crash once, but nothing big.

I would say, install it someplace... Have a 'play' with it if you're bored... But IMO, there's not a tonne of stuff, to keep you busy for too long... Not that I am complaining, its progression :)

Two Questions:

1) How is the spotlight feature? I've been anticipating an "iTuneslike" search feature for my HD so I can use it as a "launcher". Is it quick in this build?

2) If I install it on my iPod, what would the speed be like? I'm thinkin that Tiger would be slower since it's using Firewire, but then again, I don't know how fast Firewire is in comparison to a conventional PowerBook HD.

Two Questions:

1) How is the spotlight feature? I've been anticipating an "iTuneslike" search feature for my HD so I can use it as a "launcher". Is it quick in this build?

2) If I install it on my iPod, what would the speed be like? I'm thinkin that Tiger would be slower since it's using Firewire, but then again, I don't know how fast Firewire is in comparison to a conventional PowerBook HD.

It runs pretty well off of an iPod or Firewire Drive, not much slower then an internal drive.

Spotlight is cool, but I am still using QuickSilver for launching apps. Spotlight is better at finding files, but without keyboard access it isn't convenient.

Nspeds, personally I am used to the Hard disk in my G5. I installed Tiger on my iPod, just as a test really.. I heard the iPod is 4200rpm, so thats almost half the speed of my regular disk. With that in mind, Spotlight was pretty quick, but for me, general things were noticeable, that I would put down to the speed of the iPod drive. Like i said mate, if you've the time, give it a buzz, as long as you have nothing to lose. (hence NOT upgrading from a stable and feature complete 10.3.4...) I am sure you will enjoy the play, like we all do...

One thing you do notice tho, is its incredible what Spotlight picks up, thanks to META data. For example, i put in my friends name - 'Casey' which i thought would bring up iChat downloads / iChats / email... It also brought up one or two songs, where the composer (not artist, COMPOSER) included the string 'Casey'. Pretty incredible really. :)

However, I was kinda annoyed to find that its sorta limited to what files it can work with. For example, i have alot of video in Xvid / DivX etc etc... I did, for example, a search on 'Bo Selecta', then did Kind = Video. It left all Xvid and DivX files out, and pretty much left me with nothing. Hopefully Apple, between now and final (which IS plenty of time) will work a way to support more files. Afterall, the system knows they are video files, even IF Quicktime doesn't have a codec. You see what I mean? :p

Nspeds, personally I am used to the Hard disk in my G5. I installed Tiger on my iPod, just as a test really.. I heard the iPod is 4200rpm, so thats almost half the speed of my regular disk. With that in mind, Spotlight was pretty quick, but for me, general things were noticeable, that I would put down to the speed of the iPod drive. Like i said mate, if you've the time, give it a buzz, as long as you have nothing to lose. (hence NOT upgrading from a stable and feature complete 10.3.4...) I am sure you will enjoy the play, like we all do...

One thing you do notice tho, is its incredible what Spotlight picks up, thanks to META data. For example, i put in my friends name - 'Casey' which i thought would bring up iChat downloads / iChats / email... It also brought up one or two songs, where the composer (not artist, COMPOSER) included the string 'Casey'. Pretty incredible really. :)

However, I was kinda annoyed to find that its sorta limited to what files it can work with. For example, i have alot of video in Xvid / DivX etc etc... I did, for example, a search on 'Bo Selecta', then did Kind = Video. It left all Xvid and DivX files out, and pretty much left me with nothing. Hopefully Apple, between now and final (which IS plenty of time) will work a way to support more files. Afterall, the system knows they are video files, even IF Quicktime doesn't have a codec. You see what I mean? :p

Perhaps when Tiger is finally released, people can develop their own mods so that DIVX files are classified as video files.

Perhaps when Tiger is finally released, people can develop their own mods so that DIVX files are classified as video files.

Yeah, I am going to try that now. Only .mov files are showing up for me, AVI, OGM, MKV all dont show up.

Edit: Looks like some AVIs do show up.

Anybody want to try a 2 or 3 way video chat?

NeoMayhemX is my AIM name, I am sure somebody else has an iSight and Tiger.

I would but some reason I can't get my camera to act as a video camera in tiger :s

I would but some reason I can't get my camera to act as a video camera in tiger :s

I had the same problem with panther, but now I have an iSight which works fine.

Apparently the official 'documentation' for the Tiger preview says:

System requirements

You must have a Macintosh computer with

? a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor

? a DVD drive

? built-in FireWire

? at least 128 MB of RAM

? a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported  by your computer

? at least 2 GB of disk space available, or 3.5 GB if you install the developer tools

If you see a message in the Installer that you do not have enough disk space to install  Mac OS X, you can deselect items to save spacSpotlight's search stuff supportssupports about two dozen file formats listed on the apple information page for the technology. Fortunately it is extensible so 3rd party developers, Apple, and 'hobbyists' will be able to write modules for to add support for different kinds of files and applications to spotlight.

i finally got it installed using the install from panther trick i was getting kernal panics.

1 how do i start the dashboard? i can't seem to get it to start up.

2 how do i hide files in osx i would like hide the some files that are suppose to be hidden but aren't due to the was i installed tiger.

i finally got it installed using the install from panther trick i was getting kernal panics.

1 how do i start the dashboard? i can't seem to get it to start up.

2 how do i hide files in osx i would like hide the some files that are suppose to be hidden but aren't due to the was i installed tiger.

1. F12

2. TinkerTool

how do you install stuff to your ipod, i have an ipod but do not know how to do it :(. i have tiger and want to try it :)

1. F12

2. TinkerTool

I had to move mine from f12 to f7 because thats the normal eject. I wonder if by final they will have where you can map dashboard to a mouse button

how do you install stuff to your ipod, i have an ipod but do not know how to do it :(. i have tiger and want to try it :)

Surely you just plug in your ipod, run install, and select the ipod as the hard drive to copy it to?