Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

Didn't realise all you folks were at WWDC :p

Must have been a long flight from Cali back to the UK when you were just itching to install 10.4...

:woot:

my arms are well knackered!

Anyone knows if Tiger makes it possible to download stuff or play music with the lid of a powerbook/ibook closed?

You can do that now. I think for the powerbook you can do it by plugging in an external keyboard or monitor or something. For the iBook, there's a hack to do it. I do know it's possible, though.

Anyone else notice how much faster window resizing is? It's just disturbing how much they sped it up. Personally, I think that's probably the most noticeable improvement they've made.

Anyone else notice how much faster window resizing is? It's just disturbing how much they sped it up. Personally, I think that's probably the most noticeable improvement they've made.

is it only on core image supported cards only???! i am really excited about this.. :p

I dunno. I have a Powerbook 15" 1.33Ghz, and it was snappy as all hell resizing windows. Maybe they just sped it up on my system, in which case I'm not complaining :D

I dunno. I have a Powerbook 15" 1.33Ghz, and it was snappy as all hell resizing windows. Maybe they just sped it up on my system, in which case I'm not complaining :D

What apps are you resizing? Safari, Mail and Finder SEEM about the same to me.

Anyone else able to get any third party IM clients to connect? The only one that works for me (tried Adium and Proteus) is iChat

Same - altho, in the dock, activity monitor CPU usage JUMPS up, and the fans start wurring... :happy: :laugh:

Adium and Proteus are dead because they fudged up an element that Gaim needs to connect to the internet (and other reasons, but they can fix those).

I've also noticed a huge increase in resize and scrolling speeds, especially with brushed metal. Go Apple. :D

:ninja: I did get Tiger to work on an iBook. I followed a fellow members advice and first installed it on my firewire external drive. Then, bootted it up with the firewire drive and copied the .dmg file over to the firewire drive, mounted it, and installed it via the /System/Library/ OSInstall.mpkg way. it is running fine now, and I noticed a big increase in speed within the OS overall, but safari is a bit slower than usual, so i'll be typing my next message in firefox.

Ahh, what has worked for me is FIRE. It still runs in Tiger, so that's good.

Yeah, i think it was Safari that is a bit slow. I am typing at my normal speed and firefox is keeping out quite nicely. So far, so good ;)

Opps, almost forgot to say that I have an iBook G4, ;)

And it is running a little slower than panther was thats for sure, with Expose, being slow. and moving windows around stuttering. I think this preview of tiger was made for G5 users or 1ghz+ G4 ones with 512k cache!

Ahh, what has worked for me is FIRE. It still runs in Tiger, so that's good.

Yeah, i think it was Safari that is a bit slow. I am typing at my normal speed and firefox is keeping out quite nicely. So far, so good ;)

Opps, almost forgot to say that I have an iBook G4, ;)

And it is running a little slower than panther was thats for sure, with Expose, being slow. and moving windows around stuttering. I think this preview of tiger was made for G5 users or 1ghz+ G4 ones with 512k cache!

Scratch my last reply. Since FIRE was running, it wasn't optimized for Tiger yet, so it slowed down my comoputer completely. It wasn't respondiing, so after force quiting it, everything is much much quicker. I would say it is on par with Panther, if not faster.

Nott sure if it is just me, or is the fonts a little bit more blurr-ier on Tiger than it was on Panther?

The defualt font smoothing setting is higher on tiger, you can change it back if you want.

Who ran those tests? 10.4 basically only lost out on disk I/O, so I'm guessing whoever it is was running 10.4 off an iPod or some other external drive.

It does claim that the same HDD was used, however I'm sceptical. This person repartitioned just to run a benchmark?

Shrug... Just found it...

However, the code probably isn't that optimised at all, so, the results make sense to me.

Yep. What I meant was that if it can stand up to 10.3.4 in the other categories (it gained almost exactly the same score in most, and even spanked Panther in one or two of them), while only really lagging in disk activity, then I'm assuming that's because Tiger is living on an iPod. If that's the case, and we're still at DP stage, then Tiger will probably be seriously fast by 10.4 final.

Who ran those tests? 10.4 basically only lost out on disk I/O, so I'm guessing whoever it is was running 10.4 off an iPod or some other external drive.

It does claim that the same HDD was used, however I'm sceptical. This person repartitioned just to run a benchmark?

Results are too fast to be an iPod, imo...

Maybe he partitioned his drive. Maybe he had 2 identical drives, who knows?