Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

Yea, it does use Core Image, but the tech is a little different. Unlike Quartz Extreme (Which is either enabled or NOT, dependent on your hardware), Core Image tech is scaled to work and produce effects as best as possible, based on the hardware. So its fair to say all 'current world' systems support it, but at different levels... If that makes sense...

I get it I didn't realize Core Image could scale.

Yeah but still, the iBook and iMac 15" won't support it too. So it's not ONLY the eMac that falls behind.

And my eMac (or it's line) won't be 5 years old in 2005, buying a new computer every year is just out of the question for most people. So it's only fair to assume that Apple will accommodate that. And it's also likely that Apple will keep on producing these eMacs/iMacs and iBooks till the end of 2004.

Anyways... Shodan, can I have a link to that background? I'd really like it ;)

I took it from www.applegeeks.com very easy to find once you're there! :D

Yeah but still, the iBook and iMac 15" won't support it too. So it's not ONLY the eMac that falls behind.

Very true, but you would assume at the time this Software ships, all Mac's on the Apple store will have capable graphics hardware. This is tomorrow's OS on today's hardware don't forget! People testing Longhorn's graphic engine would have similar issues too, no doubt...

Ninja - Glad that made sense :p :laugh:

I took it from www.applegeeks.com very easy to find once you're there! :D

AppleGeeks is great! I went to high school with Mohammed (Hawk).

And my eMac (or it's line) won't be 5 years old in 2005, buying a new computer every year is just out of the question for most people. So it's only fair to assume that Apple will accommodate that. And it's also likely that Apple will keep on producing these eMacs/iMacs and iBooks till the end of 2004.

Look on the bright side, you aren't going to miss out on any functionality, just some eyecandy. Nothing to really get upset about.

Well, if you could believe it, I installed Tiger on my iPod mini. It took about 15 minutes to install. If you have an iPod mini, you know its drive is much slower than the regular iPods. However, pretty much the only drawbacks are that it starts up slow and the "splash effect" when opening a gadget is pretty slow. Safari 2.0 isn't really ready for prime time yet. It appears to have a strange color bug, because the images on my site are a much different color while hex codes render the correct color. Hopefully they'll get that fixed. It also won't load my online banking page because its a secure site. Oh well...not really big issues for an OS that has a fair amount of innovation and is still 6-11 months away from release.

I'm glad they FINALLY made copy image location in safari, thank you, thank you, thank you

Why is everybody having problems with https sites?

My bank site works prefect in safari 2.0, and so do other https sites. I also have no issues with colors.

The only thing I have had an issue with tiger is QuickTime crashing, and I am upset that Preview will not export to jpg anymore.

The new QuickTime will be sweet once they make it stable.

I'm running Tiger off of my iPod and I have a couple of comments:

1) This build is very stable. In fact, I get NO slowness when I am activating the Dashboard and am adding "gadgets".

2) The "Spotlight" feature is really neat. This tool as the potential to be really powerful and I am really anticipating this feature.

3) The them isn't quite "Smoothstripes", it's more like there is only "Smoothstripes" on the Spotlight button.

4) Safari seems very stable for me. HTTPS sites are working, the browser is very quick and it even feels a tad faster than Safari on 10.3.4

Maybe more later!

Why is everybody having problems with https sites?

My bank site works prefect in safari 2.0, and so do other https sites. I also have no issues with colors.

The only thing I have had an issue with tiger is QuickTime crashing, and I am upset that Preview will not export to jpg anymore.

The new QuickTime will be sweet once they make it stable.

eh? mine exports as jpeg fine

I dont even have the export item in the menu.

I can do a save as, but that keeps things as PDFs.

Ah I see what you mean now, have you tried an automator action?

3) The them isn't quite "Smoothstripes", it's more like there is only "Smoothstripes" on the Spotlight button.

Yea. They put that in after they made this Dev Preview. They put in a lot of things after the Dev Preview actually.

SFNEFreak, that color issue is system-wide. Look at an iChat message with two lines of text.

HTTPS sites do not work in my copy. I have no idea why.

Tiger works great on my 1GHz TiBook. I have it installed on a Firewire HD and performance is actually very good. I notice little difference from my default Panther installation.

Odd... i couldn't post yesterday night from Tiger.... :wacko:

Anyway, I've tried it a bit... and it's very snappy, even loading from an iPod!

Too bad my GeForce 4MX it's not fully compatibile with Core Image :(, I couldn't see the ripple effect on dashboard!

Spotlight : Incredible... a huge step above.... I can only imagine what you can do once it's fully supported.

Dashboard : not very useful right now... at least the gadgets are cool but I don't find them so useful now...

Core Image / Core Video : jaws dropping.... for what I've seen in WWDC keynote... (does anyone found the little apps they use to show it? )

Too bad my GeForce 4MX it's not fully compatibile with Core Image :(, I couldn't see the ripple effect on dashboard!

:cry: geez sometimes i hate apple.

but now i have a excuse to get a new mac :D

:cry: geez sometimes i hate apple.

but now i have a excuse to get a new mac :D

Don't blame Apple. If the card can't handle the functions, it can't handle them. Nothing that Apple can do will change that.

Ok, hi I am new yada yada yada. With a n00b, here come a new problem.

Here's the deal. When I try to start the installer (I have burnt it on a DVD) it will tell me to restart the Computer. I did that, and then once the computer is done restarting, nothing happens? I put the .DMG file in the CD (because I had to burn it on Windows, because my Apple Airport was working correctly) and then I put it on my Mac and everything started fine. Everything except the setup. I then tried the other way, but it won't show any other HD or Partition. I don't have an external HD nor do I have an IPOD (I really should get one too :p). Can anyone help me here, or am I doomed?

- Thabass