Semi-Offical OS X Tiger Chat

I look forward to your anti-MS posts when they kill AppRocket off with WinFS / Longhorn.

Ill save you thre trouble

Some time in the near future..

Spotlight

Look familiar :whistle:

:rofl: :shifty:

Ill save you thre trouble

Some time in the near future..

Spotlight

Look familiar :whistle:

:rofl: :shifty:

Very clever. Meanwhile, back in the serious world:

Metadata / file indexing is technology that people have been working on for years, and that Apple itself has been working on as part of OS X for two years. I don't know how long MS has been working on WinFS for Longhorn, but I'd wager it's a similar amount of time. The concept itself has been around for decades.

What are they going to do then, now that it's finally upon us? Just hold back on the biggest advancement in the way people use their filesystems since the invention of the folder itself, because some guy who wrote LaunchBar wrote a dirty workaround that is only capable of showing a list of shortcuts?

Spotlight is a complete overhaul of the way files are handled. It's not just a list of files, like LaunchBar. By the way, we're going to refer to LaunchBar rather than AppRocket, since AppRocket is clearly a rip-off of LaunchBar and we don't like that now do we?

Apple didn't steal any ideas from Objective Development, they implemented a completely different technology - one of the uses of which LOOKS similar to SOMETHING LaunchBar does. Except LaunchBar can't do it very well.

But hey, if you're so digusted by it - stick to Panther and LaunchBar :whistle:

Sorry, Windows/IBM-PC user here...

I would give it a try to Mac if they would support more languages (like mine) in their next OS's.

Plus, they sould expand the printer's configuration and the system responsiveness.

I am really looking forward to try the Mac way, in the future. :)

Just to make things clear , im not accusing apple of stealing anything...I am just saying, Windows users have something similar , earlier :)

Just to make things clear , im not accusing apple of stealing anything...I am just saying, Windows users have something similar , earlier :)

not built into the OS you didn't

and even if you want to get into not using the OS, Launchbar hit version 3.0 back in 2001. If I remember correctly, Approcket hit 1.0b last year in october

So does anyone want to try this 4-way video chat in iChat 3.0 then?

Also, is it just me or does MSN refuse to sign in under 10.4? Seems to work fine, but fails on username and password (both of which I know are correct.)

Oh yeah, and Spotlight says that Bam Thwok, by the Pixies (which is a m4p file - downloaded from iTMS) is a movie ... lil bug there for Apple.

Sorry, Windows/IBM-PC user here...

I would give it a try to Mac if they would support more languages (like mine) in their next OS's.

Plus, they sould expand the printer's configuration and the system responsiveness.

I am really looking forward to try the Mac way, in the future. :)

assuming you are Portugu?se, that is a native language in the OS, I believe it's also a language for the iPod.

Mac OS X does support Portuguese. It's among the fifteen languages in which the menus and stuff can be shown.

By the way, I was hoping you guys can win the Euro Cup this time but oh well... :no:

assuming you are Portugu?se, that is a native language in the OS, I believe it's also a language for the iPod.
Mac OS X does support Portuguese. It's among the fifteen languages in which the menus and stuff can be shown.

I'm Portuguese (Portugu?s).

No, that language is Portuguese from Brazil. [PT-br]:no:o:

Not the same.

is it really? wonder why they'd do that?

Brazil is highly quoted because they're a big market close to the States and they have grown in the last 20/25 years a particular love for the USA (Manhatham lifestyle, Sex in The City-like, do you know what I'm saying?).

Therefore, Brazilian Portuguese in more seen/important in the computer industry, rather than Portuguese from Portugal.

Brazil is highly quoted because they're a big market close to the States and they have grown in the last 20/25 years a particular love for the USA (Manhatham lifestyle, Sex in The City-like, do you know what I'm saying?).

Therefore, Brazilian Portuguese in more seen/important in the computer industry, rather than Portuguese from Portugal.

I'm running Panther, and in System Preferences>International>Language>Edit, I see

Portugues de Portugal

Portugues do Brasil

among the list of lanugages. I wonder if that's what you want... :rolleyes:

I'm running Panther, and in System Preferences>International>Language>Edit, I see

Portugues de Portugal

Portugues do Brasil

among the list of lanugages. I wonder if that's what you want... :rolleyes:

I don't get this...

Rosetta stone

Mac OS X ships with localized versions of English, Japanese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, Brazilian Portuguese and includes broad support for many additional languages, including Thai, Korean, Arabic, Hebrew, Cherokee, Hawaiian, Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, Armenian, Russian and Greek, so you don't have to purchase separate copies of the operating system if you?re multilingual.

They only speak of Brazilian Portuguese:unsure:e:

Then:

Unlike OS 9 and earlier Mac systems, which were produced in localized versions for foreign countries, OS X offers the choice of 15 system languages out of the box -- English, Japanese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, anBrazilian Portugueseu>. These languages, which affect system-wide menus and dialogues, can also be changed, for your next login, via the Languages menu of the International pane in System Preferences. Just move your preferred language to the top of the list.

(...)

Other system languages may be available via kits from local Apple branches.

(...)

If you poke the "Edit" button in the Language menu to see all varieties available, you get a list of 103. These relate primarily to user preferences regarding menus and dialogues for applications.

Like you said. So both portugueses are there:wacko:o:

Another question: You can play all DVD regions in Mac's DVD Player?

Yes, I believe you can play any DVD Region in OS X's DVD Player, but you can only switch Region Code so many times.

anybody got before/after tiger xbench scores?

36.7 in Panther, 38.52 in Tiger, on my PowerBook (specs are listed below).

Just to reiterate, very quickly.

1. I assume you've the tiger.dmg file already ... from a legal source, of course ...

2. Plug in your removable drive.

3. Double click the DMG file (which will then verify and mount itself in your finder.)

4. Go into the newly mounted virtual drive, and run /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

5. Tiger setup will now load. Continue through the setup until you're asked which drive you would like to install to.

6. Choose your removable drive, obviously. Then continue.

7. Once installation is complete, use the "Startup Disk" applet in System Preferences to switch between booting into Jaguar/Panther on your hard drive, and Tiger on your removable drive.

I did the install ... but when it asks where it says i CANT install to the USB drive for some reason... any ideas?

Becuase i think USB 1.0 drives are not bootable, unless under OS X, because of their slowness. I guess it would be a real pain to use an opertating system from an usb drive.

btw: I can't post anything from Tiger... it just keeps loading the page after i've click the Add Reply button... i've even tried to start a new topic with same luck.

Thinking that's maybe an issue of the new safari, i've tried the panther one, but again no....

Anyone experience something like that?

btw: I can't post anything from Tiger... it just keeps loading the page after i've click the Add Reply button... i've even tried to start a new topic with same luck.

Thinking that's maybe an issue of the new safari, i've tried the panther one, but again no....

Anyone experience something like that?

I assume you just copied Safari.app over?

Parts of Safari are built into OS X, such as webkit, and if the problem lies there then you could use as many different versions of Safari as you like, but it just isn't going to work. I wouldn't bother to try to solve the problem at the moment. Wait for a later build of Tiger. It's nice, but quite buggy and obviously an immature build - things like this were bound to crop up.

Is it Firewire only then?

Obviously it depends on the firmware of the Mac, but as far as I know, only Firewire drives are bootable with the current generation of Macs.