CherryOS: Mac OS X Emulator for PC !

Got to their FAQ page...it does run on win 98,2000 too...

Reading their answer to the CD-ROM question makes me wonder why they put firewall and usb ports in their answer??? :wacko:

584723854[/snapback]

I think they meant "FireWire", not "firewall". Maybe a spellcheck fubar.

I thought I heard that the software (CherryOS) is still being tested.

584724438[/snapback]

Well it's out for sale, so I guess it's a complete product, not in any alpha/beta/testing stage.

If it's fake: Traffic isn't cheap. Especially traffic generated from Slashdot alone (sorry folks, as big as Neowin is, it's very very small to compared to the "slashdot effect.") My guess is, his service provider is not going to be happy, but will happily charge him extra for the extra bandwidth. Meaning, in effect the hoax, if it is one, will cost this person hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. That alone is punishment enough, and I'm sure that's the only reason Slashdot even reported on it, they're well aware the effect they have :D

If it's real: well, yay! Now we have a PowerPC emulator.....

However, if you want my personal opinion, based on his responses, I'd say its fake.

If it's fake:  Traffic isn't cheap.  Especially traffic generated from Slashdot alone (sorry folks, as big as Neowin is, it's very very small to compared to the "slashdot effect.") My guess is, his service provider is not going to be happy, but will happily charge him extra for the extra bandwidth.  Meaning, in effect the hoax, if it is one, will cost this person hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.  That alone is punishment enough

If it's real: well, yay! Now we have a PowerPC emulator..... 

However, if you want my personal opinion, based on his responses, I'd say its fake.

584724578[/snapback]

If it's real I think he's going to be paying through the nose in fines. :p

i suggested that already here  ;)

584724478[/snapback]

I had not read your comment when I replied to him, sorry. Was simply reading through the forum and answered the question when I got to it.

I finally got a good capture of the screen that leads some people to believe that this is a rip-off of PearPC. It is the selection screen for the bootable partitions, and it appears for about 1/2 of a second between the CherryOS logo and the Apple logo screens. It does bear a striking resemblance to the screen from PearPC. Does anyone have a screenshot handy from PearPC to compare it to?

edit: added PearPC boot screenshot for comparison. Unfortunately, when I made this, I didn't have a valid bootable partition defined, but you can see the strong resemblance.

edit 2: changed PearPC boot screenshot. Now showing non-bootable partition information.

Edited by roadwarrior

Well, I can see the use for this if you are developing cross platform software, but my opinion is, if you love Mac OS so much, go and buy a Mac.

Oh well.....

We can only hope that Quicktransit isn't fake...

Quicktransit: http://www.transitive.com/features.htm

(although it probably is)

584724979[/snapback]

After reading this on their page, I wonder if that is the technology Microsoft is going to use for the Xbox 2 : Gaming OEM

Note that their example picture shows a Power Processor for the physical hardware, and x86 for the emulated hardware? What game system do we all know of that uses an x86 processor, with reports of using a Power-based processor in the next model?? Xbox, of course!

Here's another screenshot of the PearPC boot selection screen, compared to the CherryOS boot selection screen from their demo video. If nothing else, they used this part of the code, with only minor text changes. These two screens are too similar to be mere coincidence.

Here's another screenshot of the PearPC boot selection screen, compared to the CherryOS boot selection screen from their demo video.  If nothing else, they used this part of the code, with only minor text changes.  These two screens are too similar to be mere coincidence.

584725022[/snapback]

a simple boot menu convention is no evidence that they copied pearpc. it just means that they took the same idea, of having boot partitions selectable at boot, and came up with a similar solution.

a simple boot menu convention is no evidence that they copied pearpc. it just means that they took the same idea, of having boot partitions selectable at boot, and came up with a similar solution.

584725071[/snapback]

Look closely at it. That is not merely "the same idea" or "a similar solution", it is the same text, right down to the spacing. That is not something that just happens without being directly copied.

Look closely at it.? That is not merely "the same idea" or "a similar solution", it is the same text, right down to the spacing.? That is not something that just happens without being directly copied.

584725157[/snapback]

That's still too little to prove them fake/copiers. Having same/similar text in a boot/parition select screendoesn't imply anything really.

I never said it proved it, but that it was fairly convincing evidence that they might have at least copied some of the code from PearPC.

I never said it proved it, but that it was fairly convincing evidence that they might have at least copied some of the code from PearPC.

584725173[/snapback]

Seriously.... how would you else display that. Considering it can only be text.

It proves nothing.

I can think of several different ways to do a similar menu, and there is no requirement that it be text at that point (for example, the real boot selection menu on a Mac is graphical, similar to Boot Magic). The fact that much of it is word-for-word the same is at least suspicious.

Heh..I dunno but boot options screen is nothing I would base their authenticity upon. Like I said, until I see a review by someone who actually has the software, this software will be as good as Lindow's previous claims of emulating windows on linux.

emulates a G4 CPU, G5 support is in development

So they are saying they plan to emulate a 64-bit RISC processor on a 32-bit CISC platform? Yeah, sure. The 80% figure was fishy enough but come on. This all sounds like a hoax to me, perhaps using code from PearPC to further it's credibility. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

I will just wait as well for some one to write a review, and a comparison along side PearPC would be good to see the differences between them, like performance.