Turn ON or OFF

Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?  

445 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?

• ON
    • OFF

ON, specially if you have something other than dial up, what's the point of having a PC if not having it on, doing "illegal" things :p :shifty:  The most uptime i've had though is about 7 months, thanks to local power company which sucks big time, and my UPS when bye-bye on a power surge

585405192[/snapback]

lololololololololol :woot: :p

Starting up your computer causes the most wear on components since its a greater chance that components will receive irregulated voltages.

I like to thing of a PC like a light bulb. Every time you turn a light bulb on and off, you reduce its operating life. Now compare a simple light bulb circuit to a PC which millions of little circuits, transistors, power-sensitive chips etc and you increase the chances of something ceasing to work next time you power it off.

Then again, the time it takes for hardware to be superseeded by new hardware is much shorter than operating life of hardware, so usually you'll replace something by means of an upgrade rather than it being blown up because you turned it on and off too much.

i turn it on at 4pm, and leave it on till 11pm, and then off to bed, then to work, and then i come home, it goes back on. except weekends..

it runs from 10am till 1am.

Starting up your computer causes the most wear on components since its a greater chance that components will receive irregulated voltages.

I like to thing of a PC like a light bulb. Every time you turn a light bulb on and off, you reduce its operating life. Now compare a simple light bulb circuit to a PC which millions of little circuits, transistors, power-sensitive chips etc and you increase the chances of something ceasing to work next time you power it off.

Then again, the time it takes for hardware to be superseeded by new hardware is much shorter than operating life of hardware, so usually you'll replace something by means of an upgrade rather than it being blown up because you turned it on and off too much.

585920863[/snapback]

So what are you saying? Turn it off... Mine usually goes into standby and then Hiber.......

Or is that gonna wear it out? ( my computer )

I mean ok someone needs to tell me whats the point of leaving it on..... I dont see the points? Can some Tell me

I mean Im not running a server

Im NOT hosting

My computer isnt a Router

So why is it best to leave the pc on.. is what I am wonderin? im linda lost

:ninja:

i always leave mine on. got a decent boot time. just hate having to mess with that little thing of turning it on and waiting that little bit of time. has done me fine for years now.

im using a laptop so i try to save as much battery as i can

585923409[/snapback]

Yeah, but im on a desktop model though...

Oldest question in the book :sleep:

I usualy leave my PC on 24h a day 'cause I'm :

a- using it

b- downloading something

c- listining to music

d- doing maintanace

e- running benchmarks

The only time i really turn off my PC is:

a- going to sleep

b- traveling

c- installing new hardware

If you plan to leave your PC on all all day long, make sure you have good cooling. Heat can cut down the life of you CPU and hard drives.

Also, keep in mind that constantly restarting you PC can also casue harm to the MoBo and PSU. Constant spikes can damage any kind of electronic device (unless you have some soft of UPS)

The bottom line.... turn it off if you are not going to use it for more than 10 hours

that's my advice ;)

Oldest question in the book  :sleep:

I usualy leave my PC on 24h a day 'cause I'm :

a- using it

b- downloading something

c- listining to music

d- doing maintanace

e- running benchmarks

The only time i really turn off my PC is:

a- going to sleep

b- traveling

c- installing new hardware

If you plan to leave your PC on all all day long, make sure you have good cooling. Heat can cut down the life of you CPU and hard drives.

Also, keep in mind that constantly restarting you PC can also casue harm to the MoBo and PSU. Constant spikes can damage any kind of electronic device (unless you have some soft of UPS)

The bottom line.... turn it off if you are not going to use it for more than 10 hours

that's my advice  ;)

585925324[/snapback]

Good Advice thanks

Yeah someone told me it was better to leave it on all the time.. Im like they are crazy ........

Ive always shut down when I go to bed or let it go into hyber.....

I leave mine on unless I need to reboot from installing something, boot into a different OS (Dual boot with XP and Ubuntu) or do hardware modifications.