Turn ON or OFF

Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?  

445 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?

• ON
    • OFF

no one has really gave me a reason of why I should keep it on

I mean ive been turning it on and off for 3 years and NEVER HAD A FAILURE yet.. lol but someone warned me if I keep on it will fail.. somethin will on the inside...

I still see it as TURN IT OFF.. and save on your light bill? Since they are power hoggers ( computers are ) unless im wrong

sigh.. I still dont know what to do........ :ninja: :(

--- Edit to the post above ^^^ ----

IF i KEEP TURNING IT ON AND OFF... Something will fail aventually.. is what I ment to say.. lol

Leave it on, only hibernate it at night. If it starts to go slowly, it will be shot. Oops, I mean rebooted :laugh: . If it isn't rebooted within a week, it will be. :woot:

I leave my computer off (even now as I write this)... Dont want thoses nasty hackers hack the hackings out of by computer by hackering.

I leave my computer off (even now as I write this)... Dont want thoses nasty hackers hack the hackings out of by computer by hackering.

585949068[/snapback]

Amen (Y) Same here! :laugh:

I leave mine on all day, and turn it off at night unless I'm downloading something. Don't need the heat or the noise.

585949092[/snapback]

exactly same here.

I dunno.. I found this somewhere.. and Thought I would bring it up

I dunno how true it is or not or whatever.. But I guess I would bring it up

From an environmental point of view it is a dreadful thing to do.

It is estimated that every PC left on 24/7 produces 150 tons of CO2 each year so please don't do it, there is no point unless the machine is a server or you are using it all day and all night.

If there is a problem with starting it up that makes it a chore let's sort it out, all boot problems can be cured.

The screen is the worst part, so if you want to leave it on for a reason turn the screen off, especially if it is a CRT type - they give off a lot of heat and consume about 80% of the total power used by a PC.

Systems that fail on startup are usually complaining about something else, mine go off as soon as I am done with them, if I go out for 30 minutes I power off and start up again when I want to resume. so far my laptop (2 years old), my desktop system (ranging from 2.5 - 5 years old, depending on which bit we are talking about) and my company laptop (18 months) have never had a problem. (although my company laptop - a Dell, was a bit crap when I got it.)

I repeat, there is no advantage that I know of for keeping the system on all the time, indeed most high street systems like Tiny and Packard BEll.

have such cheap memory that occasional power offs are a distinct advantage. More to the point, would you leave your car running when you get out? it doesn't make sense.

1. Get a TFT screen - they now cost what CRTs cost three years ago.

2. Set a sleep mode for a period of time to suit your needs - don't bother with screen savers.

3. don't kid yourself that you need to get online immediately, you can wait a minute to power on.

4. Spare a thought for the ozone layer and your leccy bill.

5. Always use a surge protector.

It's always performing somekind of task when I'm away from it, so I leave it on.

585355660[/snapback]

same, if i leave my pc i make sure something is going on if its a virus scan, or downloading.

i usually leave my pc off and i turn on when i like to sit on it. so, i turn on,off,on,off like 5 to 6 time in a day. Is it good for my pc's future. What do u think i should do.. leave it on or off?????

585355619[/snapback]

for the longest time its always been "on" but i am starting to dislike it, it dry's out the air in my room and makes it very hot, so i choose off.

yeah when you leave it on you give windows the chance to do tasks and mess around w/ the file system.  i only turn mine off when im asleep and not doing anything w/ it.

585355674[/snapback]

right on...:yes:

ok there are 2 main arguments as to wether you should leave the pc on or turn it off, then make up your mind.

1) Leave it off because the longer its on the faster it will wear out

2) Leave it on because the starting up of the computer is the hardest on the hard drive.

Now take a pic

I dunno.. I found this somewhere.. and Thought I would bring it up

I dunno how true it is or not or whatever.. But I guess I would bring it up

From an environmental point of view it is a dreadful thing to do.

It is estimated that every PC left on 24/7 produces 150 tons of CO2 each year so please don't do it, there is no point unless the machine is a server or you are using it all day and all night.

If there is a problem with starting it up that makes it a chore let's sort it out, all boot problems can be cured.

The screen is the worst part, so if you want to leave it on for a reason turn the screen off, especially if it is a CRT type - they give off a lot of heat and consume about 80% of the total power used by a PC.

Systems that fail on startup are usually complaining about something else, mine go off as soon as I am done with them, if I go out for 30 minutes I power off and start up again when I want to resume. so far my laptop (2 years old), my desktop system (ranging from 2.5 - 5 years old, depending on which bit we are talking about) and my company laptop (18 months) have never had a problem. (although my company laptop - a Dell, was a bit crap when I got it.)

I repeat, there is no advantage that I know of for keeping the system on all the time, indeed most high street systems like Tiny and Packard BEll.

have such cheap memory that occasional power offs are a distinct advantage. More to the point, would you leave your car running when you get out? it doesn't make sense.

1. Get a TFT screen - they now cost what CRTs cost three years ago.

2. Set a sleep mode for a period of time to suit your needs - don't bother with screen savers.

3. don't kid yourself that you need to get online immediately, you can wait a minute to power on.

4. Spare a thought for the ozone layer and your leccy bill.

5. Always use a surge protector.

585960693[/snapback]

Computers aren't a big problem to the ozone. Its cars. But thats why we have TREES to filter out the air and take out the carbon dioxide. I think my computer should be left on because I use it frequently and I dont need to turn it on 4 times a day. :cool:

Turn mine off at night unless I have it doing something, the noise doesn't bother me. My monitor gets shut off though, I don't like light when I'm sleeping.

Computers aren't a big problem to the ozone. Its cars. But thats why we have TREES to filter out the air and take out the carbon dioxide.  I think my computer should be left on because I use it frequently and I dont need to turn it on 4 times a day. :cool:

585975674[/snapback]

yeah... i agree thats true.. I guess.. heh..........