Turn ON or OFF

Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?  

445 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?

• ON
    • OFF

ok.. I found some more stuff.. how true is this????

re: Leave the comp. on or turn off??

Friday, July 30, 2004 at 7:36 pm

Windows Me Annoyances Discussion Forum

Posted by Renaissance Man (16 messages posted)

Even if electric consumption were not an issue (but it is) there are other issues:

* Your registry is automatically backed up once a day the first time it is started

or rebooted. Every day you don't restart/reboot is another day without a fresh registry

backup.

* You'll probably have greater resources after a fresh start than if the computer

was running for days on end.

* Although some contend that shutdown/startup is "hard" on components, unless your

hard drive shuts down, why would you want it to run half a day every day unnecessarily?

Saturday, July 31, 2004 at 10:31 pm, Jack Gulley wrote:

>

The Windows OS was not "designed" to be shut down every day. No OS is "designed"

>that way. The fact is, older versions of Windows has so many bugs it will not run

>that long. Most applications are so badly written that they wind up crashing the

>system after a few days. I have written applications for DOS that would run for

six

>months without rebooting, until a power failure forced a reboot.

>

The monitor uses more electrical power than the system unit (unless it is over

>clocked and needs three fans to keep it cool). So you should use the Power Options

>in Control Panel to set the monitor to a low power standby mode after about 10 minutes

>of no keyboard/mouse input.

>

When you power off the monitor and it cools down, moisture from the air gets

into

>the insulation of the high voltage wires. Then is driven out when it is turned on

>the next day. Over time, this degrades the insulation and causes failures faster

>than leaving it on will. The same is true of the system power supply and some of

>the system board electronics.

>

In addition, the repeated heating and cooling of the electrical connections can

>cause them to crack and fail over time.

>

It turns out that everything about balances out, so that it does not make that

>much difference which you do. Your preference. A rule of thumb is, if you use it

>less than 10 hours a day, turn it off at night, other wise it does not hurt to leave

>it on.

>

In most large businesses, security issues can get you fired. And leaving a system

>on and running unattended is a security problem that is grounds for being fired.

>There is no way you can be keeping an eye on your system from across the hall, if

>you are at home for the night. Systems used by these companies often have locks

>on them that prevent them being powered on without a key, and they also make use

>of the Power On Password option built into the system boards. And they don't like

>paying the power bill.

Normally my PC is on 24/7, and i sleep in the same room as it but it barely makes any sound so it never bothers me. I restart if i have to to install anything or if there is an error and turn it off permanently if i go away on holiday

Normally my PC is on 24/7, and i sleep in the same room as it but it barely makes any sound so it never bothers me. I restart if i have to to install anything or if there is an error and turn it off permanently if i go away on holiday

585985284[/snapback]

heh .. I would hate to see how high your light bill is every month when you leave the pc on.. lol

Yeah.. I know but I dont know which to do.. lol hmm

It's not exactly rocket science. It's on or it's not, either way it's not a big deal. It comes down to convience.

heh .. I would hate to see how high your light bill is every month when you leave the pc on.. lol

The amount of money you save on your power bill by turning it off is pennies a month.

So saying you want to save money by doing this isnt going to hold water.

untitled.JPG

Edited by Soviet

585985504[/snapback]

Electric companies do not bill in that way. They bill by peak usage. That means, they will base their bill on the peaks of electricity that you use for the month. A PC will use it's peak when starting up. This will not effect your electric bill in any noticible way, because it simply doesn't pull that much power. However, leaving the PC on is actually cheaper in that regard.

I sometimes leave it on at night. It depends on one or two things:

1 - How long its been on (If its been on all day it will be OK to turn off all night but if its only been on a few hours i leave it on)

2 - What I'm doing with it (If i leave it doing something overnight like de-fragmenting or downloading something etc.)

On.

For 3 reasons...

1. If I turn it off, I can still hear it anyway :p

2. If I turn it off, I have to turn it on.

3. Turning it off, and thus turning it on will potentially reduce the life. Obviosusly when the computer is on, the components are hot. Off then naturally they'll be cold. Therefore, they will expand/contract very slightly.. this could potentially, and probably would over a long period of time cause come of the tiny connections to break.

:laugh:

i usually leave my pc off and i turn on when i like to sit on it. so, i turn on,off,on,off like 5 to 6 time in a day. Is it good for my pc's future. What do u think i should do.. leave it on or off?????

585355619[/snapback]

My sister told me that in Bar-Ilan University, they leave them on. She said the energy it takes to turn it on and off makes it so that you end up expending more energy that way. I leave it on except when I'm away for a day or more. Then I just turn it off. Otherwise, I have it so that the screensaver turns on after 5 minutes.

eta: I don't think sitting on your computer is good for your pc's future. :cry:

I keep mine off most of the time due to my sky high power bill. I have a server that I leave on 24/7, and a 733 Compaq that I use for a jukebox thats always on... But those all have pretty low wattage PSU's.

On my main box, I have a ton of maintenance (defrag, norton windoctor, spyware/virus scans) scheduled for Monday nights, so I always leave it on Monday nights.

When I'm away from my box, I leave it in hibernation mode. That way it boots up real quick when I get back to it. I've noticed if you hibernate/wake up, repeat, a lot, it tends to fragment your HD quite a bit. But my once a week defrag seems to fix that.

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

i usually leave my pc off and i turn on when i like to sit on it. so, i turn on,off,on,off like 5 to 6 time in a day. Is it good for my pc's future. What do u think i should do.. leave it on or off?????

585355619[/snapback]

ON

How about I make you go to sleep when you are no needed... :p

Must be one of those days when I see a topic like this and think something totally different when reading turn off or on. :laugh:

Anyway, I -never- turn my PC off at home. The amount of power it uses is really really low anyway, especially with an LCD monitor. (I pay like $35US a month for electricity) Just turn on power-saving if you are worried about things. Also, most component failures occur when power is first turned on.

However, when I had two housemates who had some noisy desktops w/big CRT displays, my electricity bill was noticeably higher than it is now w/my laptop(that I use as a desktop) with LCD and then just a small 24/7/365 Sun server.

Only time mine goes off is to reboot something, like the actual computer or my router whatever. Otherwise it's always on. It's not loud enough to keep me awake. Although when it's quiet enough(in my room), I can hear it.

My PC usually gets turned on and off 1-2 times per day. I don't use it enough to let it run constantly (with the exceptions of certain tasks and downloads). The other factor is the power usage. The electricity bill increases rather subtstantially running all the electronics and the PC in the house, so I try to conserve.

So far so good.

Electric companies do not bill in that way. They bill by peak usage. That means, they will base their bill on the peaks of electricity that you use for the month. A PC will use it's peak when starting up. This will not effect your electric bill in any noticible way, because it simply doesn't pull that much power. However, leaving the PC on is actually cheaper in that regard.

585985542[/snapback]

wow.. really..... thats neat to know.. lol.. I learned somethin new today.. I DID NOT know that

:yes: :blink: :D

wow.. really..... thats neat to know.. lol.. I learned somethin new today.. I DID NOT know that

:yes:  :blink:  :D

586022541[/snapback]

So how is it cheeper? :cry: