Another BitTorrent site goes bye-bye

did they really shut down tv-swarm?  i think tvswarm is just down.. theres no notice on the site, or mention on mpaa

585456483[/snapback]

That does not mean it's gone, tvtorrents just went down without a notice/etc as well.

Well - it was stupid of Lokitorrent to collect money to fight the case.

It was obvious that they'd get shut down sometime or another.

I downloaded a few things from there a while ago. But I don't use torrents anymore so no loss to me.

If I download something that I wouldn't have bought in the first place, it's not stealing. No one loses any product (it is a digital copy of said thing, no one is deprived of it because I downloaded it), and no one loses any money because I would not have payed for it anyway. Getting something for free isn't always stealing. I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand that.

585450895[/snapback]

What the hell? its not stealing because you wouldn't have paid for it? thats a new one, "Sir/Officer/Your honor i didnt steal it because i wasnt going to pay for it anyways" try that in the store/police station/court.

Man if they had a loophole like that in the system :pinch:

Edited by dolimite35

Going to the store and taking it is stealing because you are depriving that company of the product to sell and the profit from it. If I download something that I wouldn't have bought in the first place, it's not stealing. No one loses any product (it is a digital copy of said thing, no one is deprived of it because I downloaded it), and no one loses any money because I would not have payed for it anyway. Getting something for free isn't always stealing. I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand that.

About loki, not surprising at all. Did anyone really think he was going to use that money for legal defense? The site wasn't all that good anyway, there are several others that are much better IMO.

585450895[/snapback]

Actually I can kind of see his logic. Some stuff like Adobe Photoshop I would just not buy because I can't afford the $400-$500 some dollars it costs to buy that. But if you got a trial copy of it you might use it and like it but if you were forced to buy it or the trial would expire then you would just find some other freeware app that can do what you need and doesn't cost money. So if I were to download Adobe Photoshop it is not like I would be stealing $500 from them because I wouldn't have bought it anyway. Anywho yes I know stealing is stealing and it is wrong but his argument does make some sence to me. ;)

That does not mean it's gone, tvtorrents just went down without a notice/etc as well.

585456908[/snapback]

Tvtorrents change domain names from tv 2 ws and now back again at both locations.

Tv-swarm is just down.

Actually I can kind of see his logic. Some stuff like Adobe Photoshop I would just not buy because I can't afford the $400-$500 some dollars it costs to buy that. But if you got a trial copy of it you might use it and like it but if you were forced to buy it or the trial would expire then you would just find some other freeware app that can do what you need and doesn't cost money. So if I were to download Adobe Photoshop it is not like I would be stealing $500 from them because I wouldn't have bought it anyway. Anywho yes I know stealing is stealing and it is wrong but his argument does make some sence to me.  ;)

585458685[/snapback]

that makes no sence and you know that, what if i steal from you because i cant afford to buy it off of you, then thats not stealing or its stealing but its ok cause its not "stealing" stealing? yea tell that to your folks and freinds im sure they will believe you, " oh yea it not stealing because you were never going to buy it anyways" :pinch:

come on now

hell photoshop doesnt make the picture you make it, its a tool, there are free tools out there (GIMP) and cheaper stuff paint shop pro (can work with photoshop files) you can be good or suck with either tool the creativity in in you or lack of :pinch:

Edited by dolimite35

what if i steal from you because i cant afford to buy it off of you, then thats not stealing?

The difference with online "stealing" is that the original owner encurs no loss, they still have their original copy. It's like someone breaking into your house, photographing all your valuables, and leaving without taking the originals...

So the MPAA doesn't lose because they wouldn't have made a sale anyway, and the original owner doesn't lose because they still have their copy...so although it's bizarre, it's really one of the most victimless forms of theft I can think of...

The difference with online "stealing" is that the original owner encurs no loss, they still have their original copy. It's like someone breaking into your house, photographing all your valuables, and leaving without taking the originals...

585459240[/snapback]

Oh my :woot: you believe that what the hell can you do with photographs of stuff, " i think ill watch TV on this poloroid of a TV" "man this poloroid of a sound system it jammin, turn the music up"

a digital copy is a copy that takes money away from the actually CD being bought, how hard is that to understand, the hell am i going to do with photos? sell them on the street? "hey man i got kids to feed want to buy rims, i got lots of copies from kinkos, blew them up 30 inch rims, some glue and your car will have spinners"

According to various news websites, Lokitorrent has been ordered by the court in Texas to pay $1 million fine and hand-over all activity logs (IP addresses...) :cry: to the MPAA . The owner of Lokitorrent also mention.

Source

Well I fully agree that the analogy would be worthless, but you ignored part of the (I think) original argument, that the poster said he/she wouldn't have bought the product even if he/she couldn't download it. Which I might add is a sentiment I could agree with on more than one occasion.

...though I'm not saying it justifies stealing. But, it's still a rather unique moral situation, don't you think??

Well I fully agree that the analogy would be worthless, but you ignored part of the (I think) original argument, that the poster said he/she wouldn't have bought the product even if he/she couldn't download it.  Which I might add is a sentiment I could agree with on more than one occasion.

...though I'm not saying it justifies stealing.  But, it's still a rather unique moral situation, don't you think??

585459285[/snapback]

really i dont see that anywhere, he put:

"If I download something that I wouldn't have bought in the first place, it's not stealing."

is there another post we got mix up in?

According to various news websites, Lokitorrent has been ordered by the court in Texas to pay $1 million fine and hand-over all activity logs (IP addresses...) :cry: to the MPAA .?  The owner of Lokitorrent also mention.

Source

585459274[/snapback]

if they are smart they remove IP addresses on daily basis so the day they were taken down, only the people active that day will be implcated...:shifty::

*hopes to god MPAA/RIAA come after self, even though took no part in music or video* :whistle::

if they are smart they remove IP addresses on daily basis so the day they were taken down, only the people active that day will be implcated... :shifty:

*hopes to god MPAA/RIAA come after self, even though took no part in music or video*  :whistle:

585460291[/snapback]

I don't understand how the trial is over that fast.. The judge probably laughed in his face..

According to various news websites, Lokitorrent has been ordered by the court in Texas to pay $1 million fine and hand-over all activity logs (IP addresses...) :cry: to the MPAA .  The owner of Lokitorrent also mention.

Source

585459274[/snapback]

Where did you see mention of a Texas court?

a digital copy is a copy that takes money away from the actually CD being bought

585459271[/snapback]

You missed my point. My point is that if it isn't something that I would have bought in the first place, a digital copy does not take money away from the CD actually being bought. It does not take money away from anyone, it does not take any product away from anyone, and no one loses anything. For it to be stealing, someone would have had to lose something from it. No one loses anything from it. Obviously it is not the most morally right thing to do, but it cannot be classified as stealing.

You missed my point. My point is that if it isn't something that I would have bought in the first place, a digital copy does not take money away from the CD actually being bought. It does not take money away from anyone, it does not take any product away from anyone, and no one loses anything. For it to be stealing, someone would have had to lose something from it. No one loses anything from it. Obviously it is not the most morally right thing to do, but it cannot be classified as stealing.

I agree. If you downloaded say an album, listened to it and found it to be rubbish and deleted it, it would be the same as going to a store buying the album, listening to it and then taking it back because it was rubbish. No one has lost anything from you taking it back/deleting it.

If I downloaded a film and thought that it was no good and I didn't buy it then the only thing the movie industry would loose would be my ?5 to go to the cinema to see the film or ?3.75 to rent it from the dvd store. It's time for the movie industry to catch up and enable us to download the films from the net for a couple of ?'s.

But saying that if I did download a film/album that I thought was really good then I would go to a store and buy the album/film.