Another BitTorrent site goes bye-bye

well, i had sympathized with lokitorrent til i read this article. Dang did they pull the wool over our eyes w/ that one. raising money while making money in the bucketloads. now they get money for closing down on top of what they made running the site. makes me :angry: for once in my life ill say this, go MPAA!

do you think that people and MPAA think to me when im HARD working in a shop 40hour/week to get my 14$ (cad)/hours ????

so why i should take care of that people!

585448932[/snapback]

a very sad reply...boo hoo hoo why should i care about them cause they dont care about me..cry me a river, thats no reason to do it (or a good reason ever)

come on stealing is stealing, from big wigs to small frys. Is it bad to DL programs, but ok for movies or any other media?, going into the store and taking it is stealing but DL'ing it is not? Dont say your helping to change the way for a bright future where prices are low, your no robin hood.

Edited by dolimite35

One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent?one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

Source: MPAA Press Release on February 10, 2005

Also take a look at what they did to the LokiTorrent Website

Here is info from the MPAA Press release from today

One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent?one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

Source: MPAA Press Release on February 10, 2005

EDIT: Please rename the damn thread so people can actually find it...it gives really no insight that this thread deals with LokiTorrent and the news from today...hence the multi threads

We all got pwned.

And btw, if you live in Canada, like me, the MPAA cannot send you a letter as they are not aloud to obtain your address and details from your ISP. However, they may send whatever they want to your ISP to **** them off and the ISP can foward it to you. Tt happened to a friend, yet he still laughed, lol

how come now that loki torrent goes offline everyone immediatly say "OMFG HE RAN I TOLD YOU SO CAUSE IM l337 AND YOUR ALL DUMBASSES HAHAH U SUX0rZ" but its nice to see the thread starting to move towards a proper discussion, besides they donated their money willingly therefore it is NOT theft if anything it is just fraud.

even if he takes the money and run he will still have to either pay fines imposed by the MPAA or go all the way and take them go court, either way he will not be able to keep the money so its pointless him running.

this is just another possiblities like the rest posted so dont get all defensive and start flaming.

it is quite common practise for the judge to request the thign that being investigated to be suspended during the trail, and just because he has taken the site down in what looks like something thats taking the **** out of the MPAA rather then a trick doesnt mean hes legged it with the money i dont see how people have automatically assumed the worse (shows what the're like).

and about suprnova is that the country that the servers were hosted in we're not part of the EU until recently, that meant that sloneck could now be procucted under EU law and with the mpaa/riaa applying pressure it might of come to that he seemed to of done the smart thing and got out before anything nasty erupted.

RE:downloading in canada

this is true that downloading music off the internet is legal in canada this is in fact the RIAAs own fault where they levvyed a tax onto blank media so that its pay for either way, they tried to get this implemnted in america also but failed todoso but this has backfired on them in canada as they can not persecute anyone there now,

uploading however is still illegal.

also in reference to lylesback2;s comment of the records being handed over to the MPAA, as the judge has already ordered the site to be taken offline for the duration of the trail its just as likley that they requested for such records, if lowkee hadn't of handed them over they could of easily confescated them by a court order.

i like how everyone assumes that taking down illegal torrent servers means the death of bittorrent, bitttorrent isnt intended for illegal use nor is that its only function many download sites now include bit torrent links to download demos, free games, freeware software and such all perfectly legal and utlizing bittorrents true function.

sorry about the long post i think i've covered everything i wanted to say about this thread and put a few things straight (if some of my facts are wrong which i dont think they are please let me know)

EDIT:just read oddcraps post this is all valid points but is just a theory/oppionin as is my post please dont flame just make up your own minds

I hope they all fall... if you want software, movies or music.... do something radical and actually purchase it.

585450392[/snapback]

That sounds so crazy it just might work...buying stuff...? hmm that may just catch on, it may work.... :o

"A Dallas federal court has ordered file-swapping site LokiTorrent.com to shut down and provide Hollywood lawyers with access to its full server logs, including data that could expose hundreds of thousands of people to copyright lawsuits. "

http://news.com.com/Court+Hollywood+gets+P...ml?tag=nefd.top

http://www.lokitorrent.com/index.php (i'm sure the mods will have no problem connecting to this particular site taking into account its new front page.)

I hope they all fall... if you want software, movies or music.... do something radical and actually purchase it.

585450392[/snapback]

why do you think that way?

open source is the answer.

i have stopped downloading software from BT. i use open source software and play the video games that come with my video card or play freeware games like americas army.

God MPAA are such money hungry sluts. Is it not enough that they make 500 million with every movie? Greedy ******s want to take all of people's money. People like that should be shot right at the point blank spot. I mean come on, actors are earning lots of money and are overpaid for what they do, so I dont see why this is a big deal. Actors earn 10-50 million per movie, which is more than enough. Same goes for the companies.

Greedy ******s.