Sony PSP US launch a failure?

dyl4n

None of the games out for the PSP really even appeal to me. The Nintendo DS at least had Mario 64. The price is way too high also. When the DS came out, All the stores here were sold out for weeks. I don't know if that's because everyone wanted the DS or if it's because Nintendo didn't release that many at launch. The PSP is still in stock pretty much everywhere around here.

Danrarbc
I thought I read somewhere that the reason Sony didn't do a big promotion before the launch of the PSP, was because they wanted it to be "hush hush", as they were only shipping 1 million units. And now, as more and more people are becoming aware of it, Sony is going to up their campagin.

But don't quote me on that. I read it somewhere, and I don't remember where. :(

585673501[/snapback]

Sorry, I quoted you :p

And yet PS2 was a very very hard launch, with a just as limited a first shipment.

Sony confuses me sometimes.

spiegel
Oh please everybdy who wrote in is from freaking target or walmart. Who the hell shops tehre.

585672874[/snapback]

hmm i see you dont like stores with low affordable prices, go buy clothes at armani exchange for 3 times its actual price.

and btw....

they sell it at target

they sell it at walmart

;)

Dale
Oh please everybdy who wrote in is from freaking target or walmart. Who the hell shops tehre.

585672874[/snapback]

although Canada doesn't have Target :pinch: (we got Zellers!). i shop there. Why? because people think of those places last. Also why? they match the prices of other places.

i don't buy my stuff from EB Games. they scam you until you got no more left. they won't take back a damaged item unless its under waranty! All other retail stores will do that for free. So why should I go to EB Games?

As for stock at my local wal-mart. I went there earlier today and they had tons of them. I might of been tempted to buy one, but then again. Price comes into factor. I have absolutely no clue how much was sold prior to when i got there. i could just tell you that there was plenty still on the shelf.

I'm not going to judge what is better PSP or DS. But i would prefer a DS because of price. But in a perfect world i would want both :) . Some day i'll have both. till then i'll stick with my Game Boy Advanced :D

kaffra
Don't you have anything better to do than to put down product which is obviously popular around here? ...

585672937[/snapback]

This is a place for discussion, popular or not.

Gelob
hmm i see you dont like stores with low affordable prices, go buy clothes at armani exchange for 3 times its actual price.

and btw....

they sell it at target

they sell it at walmart

;)

585673721[/snapback]

hehe i should have been more clear. Im pretty much saying that most people who got the psp went to an ebgames or a gamestop.

Acezo
This is a place for discussion, popular or not.

585673728[/snapback]

Knowing the nature of 99% of Manicdevlin's posts on this topic, he isn't trying to start discussion, he just tries to prove that PSP sucks (which is why he continues to get banned). Luckily good discussion came out of this thread.

DreAming in DigITal
hehe i should have been more clear. Im pretty much saying that most people who got the psp went to an ebgames or a gamestop.

585673768[/snapback]

I'd bet that Walmart sells twice as many as either of those...

Gelob
I'd bet that Walmart sells twice as many as either of those...

585673809[/snapback]

ill call when its afternoon and ask

DreAming in DigITal
ill call when its afternoon and ask

585673819[/snapback]

I'm not talking locally....I'm talking Nationwide...Worldwide Etc...

mAcOdIn

Wal-Mart is a juggernaut, Gamestop is nothing to Wal-Mart. I'm in agreement, Wal-Mart will sell more PSP's than any other store.

Funny thing about Wal-Mart is thier CD selection sucks ass, yet they sell more CD's than any other store, that's how powerful Wal-Mart is.

DreAming in DigITal
Wal-Mart is a juggernaut, Gamestop is nothing to Wal-Mart.  I'm in agreement, Wal-Mart will sell more PSP's than any other store.

Funny thing about Wal-Mart is thier CD selection sucks ass, yet they sell more CD's than any other store, that's how powerful Wal-Mart is.

585673838[/snapback]

no doubt...I definately like going to Walmart to buy my groceries since I save so much money, but for most other things I try my best to go to locally owned stores and buy it. But yea...Walmart will sell waaaaay more PSPs than any of those game store franchises.

Liquid

I still think the reason why this so called failed launch is because A. 1 million units at launch is ALOT. B. People are waiting for the Non value pack C. People are waiting for the *cough* problems to be fixed. C. Sony didnt hype PSP as much as other consoles were hyped.

DreAming in DigITal
I still think the reason why this so called failed launch is because A. 1 million units at launch is ALOT.  B. People are waiting for the Non value pack C. People are waiting for the  *cough* problems to be fixed.  C. Sony didnt hype PSP as much as other consoles were hyped.

585673848[/snapback]

I think your definatly right about the marketing of the product...I figured they would have hyped the hell out of it but they didn't. I was kinda like..."Really? The PSP is out today?"

sundayx

i believe the problem was the choice of value pack and coming with a lot of useless stuff with a higher price. the price is already high enough.

mAcOdIn

I think here in the US we're not as tech-savvy as other countries.

Most of us don't have memory stick items, like a PDA or fancy cell phone, we don't transfer music, we don't know how to convert things to other formats. Here in the states we need everything to just work out of the box without having to do anything or we're lost, that's why new microwaves instead of having like a timer have different buttons for like "reheating a dinner plate, chicken, or defrosting, because we can't be asked to figure that stuff out ourselves.

When I tell people you can watch movies on the PSP encoded by a computer from any DVD they own they just look at me like I'm retarded. If people actually knew what the PSP could do, and knew how to do it, I think it owuld sell alot better. Problem is the PSP needs alot of other hardware for the full experience, it needs a PC, Memory Stick, alot of america now has PC's but they sure as hell don't know how to use them.

christracy
I think here in the US we're not as tech-savvy as other countries.

Most of us don't have memory stick items, like a PDA or fancy cell phone, we don't transfer music, we don't know how to convert things to other formats.  Here in the states we need everything to just work out of the box without having to do anything or we're lost, that's why new microwaves instead of having like a timer have different buttons for like "reheating a dinner plate, chicken, or defrosting, because we can't be asked to figure that stuff out ourselves.

When I tell people you can watch movies on the PSP encoded by a computer from any DVD they own they just look at me like I'm retarded.    If people actually knew what the PSP could do, and knew how to do it, I think it owuld sell alot better.  Problem is the PSP needs alot of other hardware for the full experience, it needs a PC, Memory Stick, alot of america now has PC's but they sure as hell don't know how to use them.

585673886[/snapback]

you speak some truth there. i told someone that they could watch movies on it and then they asked how. after i stated how they retorted thats too much work. i think the geek crowd will enjoy it more than the masses but i think the masses will catch on eventually, especially if sony drops those 512mb memory stick prices.

the launch was a quiet launch by sony standards if you ask me. i'd like to see the marketing when the ps3 comes out. hell do u remember the ads for the ps2? you couldnt avoid it! those that are deriding the launch and the product are pretty much in the same class as the ipod haters.

Liquid

Come christmas PSP will be selling like hot cakes. Hell I showed my sister it and shes like wow. My sister hates technology period. That says something there, she didnt even say wow to my iPod.

stezo2k

I didn't expect it to be too popular due to the price of the thing... it'll probably become more popular as time goes by... it was the same thing with the PS2

Rahul
I didn't expect it to be too popular due to the price of the thing... it'll probably become more popular as time goes by... it was the same thing with the PS2

585673936[/snapback]

yeah maybe , cuz i belive its a good buy once the prices come down a bit .

Ji@nBing

Just a question for everyone who think it's too much money (I'm one of them). Would you have bought a PSP if the games were $10-20 more each, if it meant the unit itself would be $50 less?

Argote
http://psp.ign.com/artices/599/599156p1.html

The launch games sucked anyways, so not a real loss for the consumer. Now people can spend that hard earned american freedom money to better use, such as blow jobs, gambling and cocaine. God bless america and PSP.

585672844[/snapback]

LOL

aman01

sigh.. some site says it is almost sellout... what the...

saxondale.

im not interested in the psp, but imo i think its done really really well, and when it hits the UK, its going to be awesome

Pink Floyd

400$ no thanks, I'd buy another pda instead