Sony PSP US launch a failure?

christracy
I am not surprised a bit.  The price is little bit tooo high and many of us are just waiting for the price to drop which it will in a month or two.

585679620[/snapback]

it wont drop in a month or two not as it stands. they may come out with a stripped down, psp only version of it but wont have, as many may not want, the headphones, the remote, spiderman 2 or a slip cover. which will save many only about 70 bucks which is enough for them to go out and buy a memory card instead. its not a price drop so to speak but another sku option.

Acezo
www.pspvideo9.com

585679708[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up (Y)

Now Sony just needs to include something just like this with the PSP for the Average Joe

thollian

its a mp3 with 32mb of memory? that sucks....that can play on what 1 cd with sucky sound?

not worth the price...

Plastique

didn't read the thread but a few on teh first page. price is just WAY too high I think. 250 bucks? The ps2 didn't cost that much.

rajputwarrior

everywhere i went in small town canada there are TONS of them, i am going to Vancouver tomorrow, i bet it's the same there

can you blame people, 2 hour battery life sure is pimp :s

and i can bet you money right now when the advanced 2 comes out it will destroy this thing

Acezo
can you blame people, 2 hour battery life sure is pimp :s

585681265[/snapback]

Not really... :sleep:

250 bucks? The ps2 didn't cost that much.

Well, the PS2 was 299 at launch :unsure:

Mr Farrar

this guy has got to get a life what is this the 3rd time hes made an account to flame?

Union Jack
insane battery life

585679579[/snapback]

Wow, do you own a PSP? Because if you did, you'd know you can get easily around 6 hours with almost any game *atleast I have*. I've gotten almost 7 hours playing Lumines and Darkstalkers.

its a mp3 with 32mb of memory? that sucks....that can play on what 1 cd with sucky sound?

not worth the price...

585680923[/snapback]

What the hell are you talking about? :huh: If half of that made much sense, i wouldn't have to bash u as hard, but clearly I do because you don't really understand what the PSP does. Yes, it does play mp3's *how is this bad again*? Sucky sound? Not really, how do i know? I have one in my room playing music, it works just fine. So what about 32 MB of memory. If you need more, you go buy it. I love my PSP alot, it does everything Sony said it would and i got what i expected out of it. Its a game machine before its a multimedia machine. I don't waste my time putting alot of videos and photos on there, because i'll never use it. But sure, it comes in handy from time to time.

Sorry for having to bash you guys, but when people make comments that don't really add up, or show their ignorance, it really makes me mad. :angry:

randomnut

Thing is im not a Nintendo or Sony fanboy, im just realistic. I am going to get a DS purely because its something new and affordable. I would get a PSP but its not worth the investment. The PSP is way overpriced for what it is.

Everyone is saying 'oh look at the graphics, it can play movies etc etc' but the thing is the ps2 has been out for years and years. The technology is so dated now its unbelieveable. It would be impressive if sony released the ps3 and then shortly after released a portable version of it. The ps2 has been out so long and technology is so advanced that they should be able to release a portable ps2 by now, its not 'innovation' its not anything special its just progress. The PS2 could play movies from dvd's, and the UMD is basically a small dvd anyway. Technologys advanced so much since the ps2 was released you should be able to play them of memory cards etc by now.

Maybe sony should have ploughed some of their billions into battery technology. Its battery life is pitifully poor. You shouldnt have to buy it then have to buy an external battery pack for it to keep it running.

I think Sonys done the same thing as Nokia did with the NGAGE, way overshot the price therefore digging its own grave.

Also its supposed to be portable yet its so delicate youd be afraid to take it outside. It doesnt take much for sony to just add on a small thin protective layer or cover for the screen because its stupidly delicate.

Seriously, before anymore of you fanboys decide to argue about how the PSP really is innovative, just bear in mind, just how many years has it been since sony announced the ps2? The technology is so dated.

However, if the price did come down, I would go for a PSP aswell, as it seems a good bit of kit, its just way overpriced for something thats not really as innovative or groundbreaking as everyones saying it is.

Gelob
Thing is im not a Nintendo or Sony fanboy, im just realistic.  I am going to get a DS purely because its something new and affordable.  I would get a PSP but its not worth the investment.  The PSP is way overpriced for what it is.

Everyone is saying 'oh look at the graphics, it can play movies etc etc' but the thing is the ps2 has been out for years and years.  The technology is so dated now its unbelieveable.  It would be impressive if sony released the ps3 and then shortly after released a portable version of it.  The ps2 has been out so long and technology is so advanced that they should be able to release a portable ps2 by now, its not 'innovation' its not anything special its just progress.  The PS2 could play movies from dvd's, and the UMD is basically a small dvd anyway.  Technologys advanced so much since the ps2 was released you should be able to play them of memory cards etc by now.

Maybe sony should have ploughed some of their billions into battery technology.  Its battery life is pitifully poor.  You shouldnt have to buy it then have to buy an external battery pack for it to keep it running.

I think Sonys done the same thing as Nokia did with the NGAGE, way overshot the price therefore digging its own grave.

Also its supposed to be portable yet its so delicate youd be afraid to take it outside.  It doesnt take much for sony to just add on a small thin protective layer or cover for the screen because its stupidly delicate.

Seriously, before anymore of you fanboys decide to argue about how the PSP really is innovative, just bear in mind, just how many years has it been since sony announced the ps2?  The technology is so dated.

However, if the price did come down, I would go for a PSP aswell, as it seems a good bit of kit, its just way overpriced for something thats not really as innovative or groundbreaking as everyones saying it is.

585681551[/snapback]

Here comes me bashing you!!! :angry:

The N-gage is a POS, dont even compare it to anything DS or PSP. My game boy advance is better than that POS.

Sony doesnt want to make a screen protector. Thats for 3rd partys to do. I dont have one and my screen is fine and i have taken it outside and in my pocket. The cloth they provided is good enough.

Oh please! dont start with "technology" your talking graphics so just say it. If you were talking technology then it isnt dated. I have yet to see a device that can play games, movies, mp3s, and show pictures. There is nothing comparable to the psp that can do the same.

I hope your not saying that the DS is innovative and not dated. Please graphics wise, pfhh..dont start. Innovative..Sure the DS does have the 2 screens and the touchpad and i like that. The DS is as innovatie as the PSP, psp is the first portable device with a analog stick, gamepad, etc. Ds is portable device with 2 screens one of them being touch.

PWND

christracy
Thing is im not a Nintendo or Sony fanboy, im just realistic.  I am going to get a DS purely because its something new and affordable.  I would get a PSP but its not worth the investment.  The PSP is way overpriced for what it is.

Everyone is saying 'oh look at the graphics, it can play movies etc etc' but the thing is the ps2 has been out for years and years.  The technology is so dated now its unbelieveable.  It would be impressive if sony released the ps3 and then shortly after released a portable version of it.  The ps2 has been out so long and technology is so advanced that they should be able to release a portable ps2 by now, its not 'innovation' its not anything special its just progress.  The PS2 could play movies from dvd's, and the UMD is basically a small dvd anyway.  Technologys advanced so much since the ps2 was released you should be able to play them of memory cards etc by now.

Maybe sony should have ploughed some of their billions into battery technology.  Its battery life is pitifully poor.  You shouldnt have to buy it then have to buy an external battery pack for it to keep it running.

Also its supposed to be portable yet its so delicate youd be afraid to take it outside.  It doesnt take much for sony to just add on a small thin protective layer or cover for the screen because its stupidly delicate.

Seriously, before anymore of you fanboys decide to argue about how the PSP really is innovative, just bear in mind, just how many years has it been since sony announced the ps2?  The technology is so dated.

585681551[/snapback]

nintendo just brought the power of the n64 to a handheld(ds) now THAT is dated technology. if the power of the ps2 into a handheld is just progress then why hasn't nintendo brought say the power of a gamecube to market in a handheld. that would be the equivalent of what sony has done.

the term innovative was used in retort to the poster saying that the ds is revolutionary. yeah your ps2 could play movies, games and the such, now you can do that with a handheld. call it progress if you want but then the ds just "progess"ed when they brought something that has been around for years (touchscreen and stylus) to a handheld.

randomnut

haha you fanboys are funny. Im not saying the DS is superior to the PSP. What im saying is that the DS is fairly priced for what it is. Im happy to pay ?99 (thats only at launch, itll go down after a while inevitably as everything does) for something like that. The PSP is a ps2 in your hands. Granted you can play music, watch movies etc but you could do that on the ps2 aswell, its just progress. Its so many years since the ps2 came out, its dated, its just natural progression that you should have a portable version.

The PSP is a very nice, hi tech peice of kit. Sony have just way overshot the price for it, its not groundbreaking or revolutionary. Granted, it is the first *handheld* that can do that, but its sonys first foray into the handheld market, and they have just taken the ps2 and downsized it to fit in your hand.

I have never said that its inferior or anything like that, its just not worth THAT much money. Remember when MS launched the XBOX, they overshot the price of that majorly, then ended up reducing it shortly after launch. I can see Sony doing the same thing, so whoever bought it at launch has been ripped off, its going to have to be reduced soon.

Like i said, im planning on getting a psp when theyre released in the UK, but only after the inevitable price rethink by sony:))

fdlazarte

yup... that's too expensive for me... maybe ill just wait for a couple of months to reduce it's price

the price is just so damn high. The psp is neat and everything, bringing it to school, but I will get bored of it the first week or two and would play it inside my home...what is the point of that when thers the ps2?

585672868[/snapback]

SeaCow

I got mine and I love it... and they are selling like hotcakes in my area and a lot of games are sold out. I love NFS: Underground Rivals. I don't know what all this stupid fuss is about-- if you want to spend $250 on it, then do it!

EduardValencia

failed,in my case i'll never buy something like the PSP

christracy
haha you fanboys are funny.  Im not saying the DS is superior to the PSP.  What im saying is that the DS is fairly priced for what it is.  Im happy to pay ?99 (thats only at launch, itll go down after a while inevitably as everything does) for something like that.  The PSP is a ps2 in your hands.  Granted you can play music, watch movies etc but you could do that on the ps2 aswell, its just progress.  Its so many years since the ps2 came out, its dated, its just natural progression that you should have a portable version.

The PSP is a very nice, hi tech peice of kit.  Sony have just way overshot the price for it, its not groundbreaking or revolutionary.  Granted, it is the first *handheld* that can do that, but its sonys first foray into the handheld market, and they have just taken the ps2 and downsized it to fit in your hand.

I have never said that its inferior or anything like that, its just not worth THAT much money.  Remember when MS launched the XBOX, they overshot the price of that majorly, then ended up reducing it shortly after launch.  I can see Sony doing the same thing, so whoever bought it at launch has been ripped off, its going to have to be reduced soon.

Like i said, im planning on getting a psp when theyre released in the UK, but only after the inevitable price rethink by sony:))

585681933[/snapback]

im not a fanboy of sony, this is the first piece of non-nintendo gaming hardware i have ever bought and i go a ways back.

as far as being ripped for a price drop i have another post on this thread i believe with my thoughts in regards to any price drops.

Acezo
The PSP is a ps2 in your hands.  Granted you can play music, watch movies etc but you could do that on the ps2 aswell, its just progress.  Its so many years since the ps2 came out, its dated, its just natural progression that you should have a portable version.

585681933[/snapback]

How on earth is Sony supposed to make a portable version of the PS3? You complain about the price and the battery life, but don't seem to know that it takes considerable amount of funds to develop chips small enough to run in a system like the PSP, not to mention trying to keep the electricty draw to a minimum. It's just really unrealistic, and unreasonable to ask for a mobile version of PS3, or anything better than the PS2 :rolleyes:

If you don't know anything about what it takes to create a mobile system, especially one that comes close to the power of console, how do you know how we are supposed to progress? The reason the battery life isn't 20+ hours is because the hardware is pushing it.

I have never said that its inferior or anything like that, its just not worth THAT much money.  Remember when MS launched the XBOX, they overshot the price of that majorly, then ended up reducing it shortly after launch.  I can see Sony doing the same thing, so whoever bought it at launch has been ripped off, its going to have to be reduced soon.

I'm not sure how much it costs to create the PSP, hardware only, but I'm sure to cover the costs of the hardware and developing it, $250 a doesn't seem like enough. The system itself is probably worth more than that (I don't mean the worth to the customer, I'm talking about the cost of creating the system).

Something I know for sure is that the Xbox was sold at a loss, even at it's original price (as was the PS2). It wasn't overshot at all, it was being sold for less than it's worth (but maybe for more than it's worth to customers).

Edited by ViciousX
Dacracka

You get what you pay for. Just because PSP is not sold out doesn't mean Launch was a failure. Launch was a huge success. Sony just didn't another "PS2 Shortage" situation.

Danrarbc
I didn't expect it to be too popular due to the price of the thing... it'll probably become more popular as time goes by... it was the same thing with the PS2

585673936[/snapback]

What are you talking about? PS2 was basically sold out for 3 months straight until after Christmas in the states.

The PS2 hit the ground running. PSP has basically crawled so far. Now it might walk, and then run, later. But to say it's the same as PS2 couldn't be further from the truth.

Perhaps you missed the point.  The PSP is a portable gaming device.  To have PS2-quality graphics on a portable is revolutionary.

585675124[/snapback]

More power is not revolutionary, it's evolutionary. But you don't have to have a revolution just to make something worthwhile, evolution is great too.

'innovation' as in two screens? with one touchscreen?

how's that more innovative then cramming the power of PS2(NOTE: THE DEVELOPERS HAS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT, and run the psp at FULL SPEED, most of them DON'T.), with multimedia capabilities and possibility of PDA like features (word pad, spreadsheet.. office apps)?

585676410[/snapback]

Again, power is not innovation. It's the same thing, only better.

possibility of PDA like features (word pad, spreadsheet.. office apps)

Please people stop listing things both are capable of as if it's something special that only one can do. It's getting old hearing about wifi and the like being mentioned as if only PSP or DS can do it.

I hope your not saying that the DS is innovative and not dated. Please graphics wise, pfhh..dont start. Innovative..Sure the DS does have the 2 screens and the touchpad and i like that. The DS is as innovatie as the PSP, psp is the first portable device with a analog stick, gamepad, etc. Ds is portable device with 2 screens one of them being touch.

585681724[/snapback]

This portable device with an analog stick came out long before PSP. Sure, it's games don't compare with what the PSP has, but it's there, and it was made specifically for gaming.

It also beat DS to the 'gaming device' with a touch screen thing, if we really want to get nitpicky here ;)

Gelob
haha you fanboys are funny.  Im not saying the DS is superior to the PSP.  What im saying is that the DS is fairly priced for what it is.  Im happy to pay ?99 (thats only at launch, itll go down after a while inevitably as everything does) for something like that.  The PSP is a ps2 in your hands.  Granted you can play music, watch movies etc but you could do that on the ps2 aswell, its just progress.  Its so many years since the ps2 came out, its dated, its just natural progression that you should have a portable version.

The PSP is a very nice, hi tech peice of kit.  Sony have just way overshot the price for it, its not groundbreaking or revolutionary.  Granted, it is the first *handheld* that can do that, but its sonys first foray into the handheld market, and they have just taken the ps2 and downsized it to fit in your hand.

585681933[/snapback]

The ps2 can play mp3s and pictures? Wow what UNMODDED ps2 do you have?

blackice912

The PSP is sold out everywhere around here. I say it was a good launch.

SuperJediMedia
it wont drop in a month or two not as it stands.? they may come out with a stripped down, psp only version of it but wont have, as many may not want, the headphones, the remote, spiderman 2 or a slip cover. which will save many only about 70 bucks which is enough for them to go out and buy a memory card instead.? its not a price drop so to speak but another sku option.

585680273[/snapback]

$70? More like $20 at most!

How much a headphone w/ remote it's got cost? I have a better headphone!

Spider-man 2 UMD $14, I really didn't want, cuz I already OWN it on DVD

Those things cost $70 is ridicolous!

Japan sold the standalone for $70 less:o:o

I Demand Sony give me some damn refunds, or I will return this to the store, and get a Standalone!:angry:y:

Korben_Dallas

Hmmm no - Not Yet...

Here's something to think about: Web Browsing on your PSP.

A guy has hacked the hidden browser inside the PSP to view external webpages.

Source: /.

L3thal
The PSP is sold out everywhere around here. I say it was a good launch.

585682789[/snapback]

There's still a few dozen at my store, but they're locked up on the back for this coming week :D