Sony PSP US launch a failure?

DS appeals to younger gamers and gamers interested in revolutionary technology.

585677175[/snapback]

if the touchscreen of the ds is revolutionary then so is the psp. and if u scoff at the notion think of how people interact with their pda when they are playing pocket pc games. revolutionary is not a trait exclusive to the ds.

if the touchscreen of the ds is revolutionary then so is the psp.  and if u scoff at the notion think of how people interact with their pda when they are playing pocket pc games. revolutionary is not a trait exclusive to the ds.

585677391[/snapback]

By revolutionary i mean noone else would have done it and it has never been done before...there hasnt yet been a touch screen on a gaming console nor has there been a gaming console with 2 screens...

By revolutionary i mean noone else would have done it and it has never been done before...there hasnt yet been a touch screen on a gaming console nor has there been a gaming console with 2 screens...

585677405[/snapback]

two screens in a handheld i think is more revolutionary. i cant think of any device period that has two screens much less a gaming one. but the touchscreen thing i just dont see as being new after pda's have proliferated as they have for the past 8-10 years. dont get me wrong its a innovative idea but i don't think revolutionary.

Ok, first off im no nintendo fan boy, im considering buying a PSP just for movie playing capabilities. But you are most definately a sony fan boy. PSP graphics are in no way compareable to PS2 graphics. I've played Ridge Racer and while it looks good, it isnt anywhere near the looks of a PS2 game. Also, you cant compare the DS to the PSP, they are on completely different markets. The DS appeals to younger gamers and gamers interested in revolutionary technology. The PSP appeals to a larger age range and people that like the more western influenced games. Anyways comparing processor speed is just retarded. Go ahead, put 3ghz P4 against a 1.8ghz G5 and see who wins.

Dont go around saying fanboy when you are yourself one.

585677175[/snapback]

RR and all other games are clocked ar 233mhz, the PSP is capable of 333mhz. Lets not say that they are or arent Ps2 graphics until a game that has the PSP running at that clock speed arrives

nor has there been a gaming console with 2 screens...

585677405[/snapback]

game-n-watch.jpg

I don't think the touch screen on the DS is in any way revolutionary - using it to control Mario 64 DS sucks and Wario Ware gets boring after 15 minutes as the same mini-games keep poping up.

Failure? I work at a Best Buy. I got in at 730am that morning and there was a line more than half as long as the line that was outside for Black Friday (aka the largest retail day of the year).

Hopefully Sony will get out software soon that'll do the video converting and all the other dirty work on its own, and allow easy integration between PC and PSP. This way it can widely advertise PSP more as a media device than just a gaming device. That should boost sales quite a bit.

I played alot of Playstation back in the 90's...i don't think i need one for $250 that i can carry around. Just my opinion, but I don't see the appeal.

RR and all other games are clocked ar 233mhz, the PSP is capable of 333mhz. Lets not say that they are or arent Ps2 graphics until a game that has the PSP running at that clock speed arrives

585677443[/snapback]

The reason it is underclocked is to save battery life quite obviously. The PSP would have its battery life cut by another 2 hours if they enabled the extra speed.

game-n-watch.jpg

I don't think the touch screen on the DS is in any way revolutionary - using it to control Mario 64 DS sucks and Wario Ware gets boring after 15 minutes as the same mini-games keep poping up.

585677774[/snapback]

Ok you are comparing a 20 year old game system that uses LED lights to the DS...cmon. Anyways im not defending the DS's software. I'm only showing the other side of the story because Oneill thinks that the PSP is better for the sole reason that the processor speed is better.

The reason it is underclocked is to save battery life quite obviously. The PSP would have its battery life cut by another 2 hours if they enabled the extra speed.

585678438[/snapback]

Ok that is a vaild point but consider the following..

Wouldnt the PSP have much closer graphics to the PS2 if it was clocked at 333mhz?

Also dont you think that the first games for the PS2 were underclocked, i mean c'mon think if they had been using all the PS2s power at launch or even a few months after. We would be tired of it already. What they do is release games that dont utilize the full spec of the ps2,xbox,etc and then gradually as time passes use more power of the system so it looks like things are improving.

Hell, why doesnt sony let us choose our clock speed? :whistle:

Ok you are comparing a 20 year old game system that uses LED lights to the DS...cmon.

Comparing? It was a joke. Plus he said no gaming system has ever used two screens, Game & Watch did.

i want one, still do, it is just to expensive. bottom line.

585676831[/snapback]

Exactly, I gues ill have to stick with a DS and wait for the PSP on my birthday in about a year when the prices cool off and more games are out.

Ok that is a vaild point but consider the following..

Wouldnt the PSP have much closer graphics to the PS2 if it was clocked at 333mhz?

Also dont you think that the first games for the PS2 were underclocked, i mean c'mon think if they had been using all the PS2s power at launch or even a few months after. We would be tired of it already. What they do is release games that dont utilize the full spec of the ps2,xbox,etc and then gradually as time passes use more power of the system so it looks like things are improving.

Hell, why doesnt sony let us choose our clock speed?  :whistle:

585678593[/snapback]

Well, it's not all dependent on the CPU of the system. You have to take into account the amount of memory for textures/etc. and the graphics cores.

The clockspeed doesn't affect how the games look. Once the game is programmed, it looks how it was meant to. The clockspeed just affects how well it runs the game.

The games do not/did not come underclocked for the PS2, they have no control over that. Developers of early titles didn't have the experience of developing for the PS2, so as they gained more experience they found more efficient ways of carrying out tasks, allowing their games to be able to pump out more and more (for example, Gran Turismo 4 having 1080i support in-game, something thought impossible until just recently). Not only is it like this for all consoles, it is like this for PCs also.

Sony doesn't let us choose our clockspeed because they know what they're doing, we don't

LOL like we know what were doing when we overclock PCs?

Thanks for that clarification, at leat i was close.

585679013[/snapback]

Haha, but with PCs we (well...most of us :D) know what we're doing

With consoles its a hole different ball game :p.

*edited*

Edited by ViciousX

game-n-watch.jpg

585677774[/snapback]

Not quite the same is it now :) It's just 1 screen cut in half & joined by a ribbon cable ;)

People are ClueLess about PSP's capabilities.

I mean, same here in our city. Not many people is buying it!

They mindlessly think "OH Another Gaming system", but look it's BETTER than PS2, it's a Handheld PS2, and it can also view pictures, play Music and movies.

It's like this Device iPAQ but $100 Cheaper!!!

$250 for a PSP is Totally Justified!!! People just have to find out, and I am not sure what went wrong at Sony's advertisement dept, but something Apparently went wrong!

Nintendo DS, on the other hand, while $100 cheap COULD NOT do all these

Failure? I work at a Best Buy. I got in at 730am that morning and there was a line more than half as long as the line that was outside for Black Friday (aka the largest retail day of the year).

585677871[/snapback]

it all depends on the location i guess. i just happened to be at best buy the day it was released and they had stacks and stacks of them left with 2 guys standing there asking everyone who walked past if they want to buy one. it was actually funny at how badly it was selling.

hahahaha...with the revolutionary super dooper ATRAC3 and ATRAC3 Plus support, with insane battery life and amazing propietary ( :sleep: ) technology Sony really is going down :D

Hopefully Sony will get out software soon that'll do the video converting and all the other dirty work on its own, and allow easy integration between PC and PSP. This way it can widely advertise PSP more as a media device than just a gaming device. That should boost sales quite a bit.

585678362[/snapback]

www.pspvideo9.com

But you are exactly right, I think the Advertisement shouldn't focus just on games, but ALL these extra features as well.

It's a Video player, a Mp3 player. A FULL handheld MultiMedia system!

Why shouldn't it be $100 more than DS?

I am not surprised a bit.  The price is little bit tooo high and many of us are just waiting for the price to drop which it will in a month or two.

585679620[/snapback]

A month or two?

Before I got the system, I hear everybody say it won't happen for at least a Year!