Sony PSP US launch a failure?

SuperJediMedia

Most of you PSP-naysayers are missing the point. This is a Handheld game machine, so comparing it to PS2 is RETARDED!!!

I mean, do you also compare a Laptop to a Desktop computer?

Hey that Desktop is just $200, and it has 1Ghz, a laptop for $500 is TOO expensive.

Is that how you look at things?

Sure, Nintendo is cheaper, but their graphics is CRAP and no Music/movie playback ability like PSP does!!!

Gelob
Most of you PSP-naysayers are missing the point. This is a Handheld game machine, so comparing it to PS2 is RETARDED!!!

I mean, do you also compare a Laptop to a Desktop computer?

Hey that Desktop is just $200, and it has 1Ghz, a laptop for $500 is TOO expensive.

Is that how you look at things?

Sure, Nintendo is cheaper, but their graphics is CRAP and no Music/movie playback ability like PSP does!!!

585683164[/snapback]

I have to pwn you on this. Whatever japan dude said this a bit back but some japan sony dude said if you say its a portable gaming machine that you should shoot them.

Anybdy have that source?

SuperJediMedia

What?

Anyway, people be realistic!!

If Nintendo had Audio/Video playback with the DS, did you really think it would stay at $150? Maybe $180 or $200 if it's got PDA, but still the Graphics is SUCK compared to the 16 Million colors 300MHZ that PSP can deliver!

Maybe they did the smart thing by NOT including them with Higher prices, but I for one prefer it had Video/Audio player.

Not really... I gladly pay $50-$70 more for a player than CAN handle 16 Millions graphics over a system can ONLY display 260,000 colors!

thebigj
What?

Anyway, people be realistic!!

If Nintendo had Audio/Video playback with the DS, did you really think it would stay at $150? Maybe $180 or $200 if it's got PDA, but still the Graphics is SUCK compared to the 16 Million colors 300MHZ that PSP can deliver!

Maybe they did the smart thing by NOT including them with Higher prices, but I for one prefer it had Video/Audio player.

Not really... I gladly pay $50-$70 more for a player than CAN handle 16 Millions graphics over a system can ONLY display 260,000 colors!

585683255[/snapback]

The DS has audio/video playback in Japan now although it certainly doesnt look as good as the PSP video playback, but using the PSP as a portable media center simply is not feasible considering the price of a 1gb memory stick duo is around $150. Thats a movie and like 90 songs at the most...Nintendo's market is for people on a slightly lower budget.

tekno

Ok, so much I could say about the PSP, but I will just focus on the "price" that so many people are complaining about.

One word... "Marketing"

It's all about marketing. This is how the business world works!

you see, a particular "market" could have many "targets". In this case, Sony is aiming the psp launch at a particular target within the market ( handheld market).

Sony knows there are many people out there that really want to get their hands on a PSP (no matter what!). This are the kind of people that are willing to pay a higher price just to get the system. As a result, Sony wants to take more advantage of this situation by initially releasing only their "PSP Value Pack" which contains more extras for a slightly higher price ($50 more to be exact).

Once they start to see a significant decrease on sales ( or whenever they think is the time) they will lower the price of the system ( maybe to $200) and most likely just release a package without all this extras, thus now targeting other type of consumers ( those that want the system but are not willing to pay $250). As time goes on the system will become more cheaper and therefore enter the money range of other consumers.

Also, production cost ( and of course, technology ) plays an important role here. At first it might be a bit more expensive to make a psp , hence the price. But as time goes on, technology gets better, parts may get cheaper and overal production cost will decrease.

This is how it always been. Remember when the ps1 was launched? The system was about $300!. Some of the people's first reaction was something like "this is so expensive and it's not even made by Nintendo so I will not trust this....ect.ect.ect"..and now look at the ps1..you wont get it at more than $50...

Now, before someone says something along the lines of "But the DS costs $150..the PSP is $100 more expensive, ect, ect ,ect" bear in mind the following:

*The PSP is not in the same exact market as the DS (Sony even said this)...true that they are direct (or indirect) competitors ( however you want to see it )..because, for example, someone wants a portable game system (doesnt matter which one)..then depending on what that person is looking they might go with the DS since it is currently cheaper. However, if someone wants a portable gaming system , but they want more than just that and have a budget of lets say $200 or more they might go with the PSP. It all depends on the consumer needs. (I would not bore you all with all this examples :p)

*The PSP has more features ( media like features), more juice, ect..and thus naturally could be a bit more expensive to produce ( I dont work at sony so I can't really tell if it is that much expensive...)

*keep in mind what I said earlier about "targets"

In my personal opinion I think the price is pretty fair ( of course I would have like for it to be cheaper...., who wouldn't!:p)...Think about it, you are getting some extras for just $50 more (taking in account that in japan the normal package was about $200)...Now ,let's analyze how much you would have to pay for "these extras" if you bought them separately...you get a 32mb mem stick..which is not much but it gets you started for game saves and probably some photo saving ...if you bought that separately you would have to spent like $30 ( maybe less, maybe more..depending how good of a buyer you are and the deals you can get). Also, you get some headphones with remote that more less is valued at $15 (again, maybe less or more..depending on the situation)...Then you get a soft cover which protects your system from scratches, sun, and other things...Something like that would cost like maybe $6?..Moreover, you get the spiderman 2 movie ( only for the first million..but let's include this in this analysis) that would be like $15-$20..

Finally, you get a strap and a cleaning cloth!!!..wow! those are the most expensive of all the things included in the value pack :p..but seriously now, they come really handy!

Now, some of you must be saying.."I dont need a memstick, a spiderman umd, some headphones with remote, ect, ect..because I already have one"

Many of you dont need these and prefer to get the normal package at a lower price ..eventually you will..But I think Sony decided to focus on the value pack at first mainly because

1. they assume many people won't have some of this required accesories (like the mem stick) and they want to get "you" started with everything you need

2. what I first stated about marketing

3. because most likely they want to satisfy certain demand quick and so they want to focus their production at first to "one flavor"

4. Other reasons

The thing is, many of you saying that it is to expensive and that Sony will not make it with the PSP should be more patient and wait for price drops..They will happen ;)

Also, you all shouldn't jump to conclusions yet about the launch and PSP sales. Mainly because sales numbers are not out yet and because it even hasn't been a week since it's launch.

Let's just wait and see what happens..

P.S. Sorry for my bad english ( and all the typos and grammar errors this post could have )..Also, sorry for the long reply

Danrarbc

585683255[/snapback]

For reference the difference between 260,000 colors and 16 million is smaller than the difference between 16 bit color (65,536 colors) and 24 bit color (the full 16 million).

Not as huge a gap as one would think, especially considering video is going to be YUV which isn't even capable of as many colors as a 24 bit display can produce. From a video playback standpoint even the DS is overkill as far of the number of colors is concerned.

Is the color difference there? Yes. But it won't make much if any difference in video.

hadiz
Ok, so much I could say about the PSP, but I will just focus on the "price" that so many people are complaining about.

One word... "Marketing"

etc. etc.

585683326[/snapback]

Everything you said is common sense; of course a brand new system will be much more expensive now than it is 2 or 3 years down the road, or when demand decreases. We understand the economics behind the price.

Laughing-Man

I hear a lot of stress being put on the hardware of the PSP and also all of these "extra features" that is has, which the DS seems to be lacking. When you buy a hand-held or a console you should be purchasing it because of the games, not the hardware and all the extra bells and whistles. Hardware means crap when it has no games to back it up. I have noticed that alot of games being released to today the developers seem to be focusing more on the graphics and less on the story/gameplay/music/character design/etc, which is the wrong way to go about things. Most of the best selling and memorable games of all time stressed in all the other areas besides graphics. Hell if I was going to be stranded on a desert island I would take my SNES over my PS2, GameCube, XBox, PC, and all my other consoles.

I don't even know why people are arguing about the colors. I've had better experiences playing Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego on a monochrome computer monitor running at 320x240 back in the 80's then I do with some games that have millions of colors.

And honestly I rather unroll toilet paper in Wario Ware Touched rather then play Ridge Racer again like I did years go. What a medicore racing game.

Edited by jmole
SuperJediMedia

Well, to each their own, but I love the look, feel of PSP way better than a DS.

You like DS, fine, but I am NOT satisfied with them, and I like to say it. They need better 3D games, instead of crappy 2D games, and look like GBA games! They need more Mario 64 like games, or Donkey Kong 64 games, SOON NOT 1 year from now!

Tekno, good opinion, but do you think the price will drop any time soon, or like a Year?

Who here knows something?

Leak Insider Info, please!!! When is SONY Planning to drop the prices, or sell standalone?

Gelob
Well, to each their own, but I love the look, feel of PSP way better than a DS.

You like DS, fine, but I am NOT satisfied with them, and I like to say it. They need better 3D games, instead of crappy 2D games, and look like GBA games! They need more Mario 64 like games, or Donkey Kong 64 games, SOON NOT 1 year from now!

Tekno, good opinion, but do you think the price will drop any time soon, or like a Year?

Who here knows something?

Leak Insider Info, please!!! When is SONY Planning to drop the prices, or sell standalone?

585686178[/snapback]

Its not even possible for a leak to happen. Sony hasnt even planned a drop or even though about it. They are still waiting for the sales total.

tekno
Everything you said is common sense; of course a brand new system will be much more expensive now than it is 2 or 3 years down the road, or when demand decreases. We understand the economics behind the price.

585685963[/snapback]

Of course it's "common sense" ( at least for many people). But it seems that many other people don't really understand this "common sense".

-----

As for a price drop, I dont see it coming any time soon either.(but who knows)

Dwarden

Hey all take it from positive way ...

PS3 even sooner :))

Slimy

well, i think it's great and all, owns the ds in every way... it just looks like to much money will go into it... i don't really find it great that i have to buy so many other things like a those memory cards to use everything on it... btw what does psp/ds stand for ? :p

Joey992

I work at a Target store and we still have 11 left out of the 30 we received.

Joey992
well, i think it's great and all, owns the ds in every way... it just looks like to much money will go into it... i don't really find it great that i have to buy so many other things like a those memory cards to use everything on it... btw what does psp/ds stand for ? :p

585687775[/snapback]

Supposedly, it's Nintendo "Dual Screen" and "PlayStation Portable"

bucko

Just get what you?re comfortable with and chill.

oddcrap

What a useless post.. all this is people giving comments.

DanManIt

I don't think I'll pick one up because whenever I seem to buy a gameboy-type machine I never seem to use it.

Slimy
Supposedly, it's Nintendo "Dual Screen" and "PlayStation Portable"

585687862[/snapback]

alright thx

btw, does anyone know how exactly the psp includes music? Can one transfer one's library from computer to the psp? I assume you need to buy those cards, how much do they hold and how much do they cost. How about movies? Can you burn them on discs off the pc? Thanks guys.

SuperJediMedia
I don't think I'll pick one up because whenever I seem to buy a gameboy-type machine I never seem to use it.

585688167[/snapback]

I am going to use it ALL the time!!!

Got Mp3, and Video playback, can't beat that!

SuperJediMedia
alright thx

btw, does anyone know how exactly the psp includes music? Can one transfer one's library from computer to the psp? I assume you need to buy those cards, how much do they hold and how much do they cost. How about movies? Can you burn them on discs off the pc? Thanks guys.

585688419[/snapback]

Depends on if you go with 192kbps or 128kbps

3-4 minutes songs, you can get 100 on a 512MB

nav1
Of course it's "common sense" ( at least for many people). But it seems that  many other people don't really understand this "common sense".

-----

As for a price drop, I dont see it coming any time soon either.(but who knows)

585686806[/snapback]

Like my mom says, common sense is the least common of all senses ;)

Slimy
Depends on if you go with 192kbps or 128kbps

3-4 minutes songs, you can get 100 on a 512MB

585688461[/snapback]

alright, forget that, i don't get why they couldn't just let you burn your music on the discs that they use for the movies...

Gelob
alright, forget that, i don't get why they couldn't just let you burn your music on the discs that they use for the movies...

585688506[/snapback]

Because they dont want consumers to be able to write to that media.

Piracy of games.

tekno

The following post is from a friend of mine who is not registered at the forums but wanted to express his opinion regarding this thread:

All I have to say is that anyone complaning because of the PSP not being an actual "handheld" should stop whining...simply, because the Nintendo DS is less "handheld" than the PSP and people don't complain/whine about that..The "innovation" of the DS is that it has 2 screens and one of then is a touch screen..yet, the games that require/use that "innovative" way of gaming...force you to put the DS at a table and start touching the screen or rubbing it...in order to play..How are you supposed to play, like for example:

In Feel the Magic...the part where you have to rub the screen in order to prevent the character from falling..or the part where you have to guide the character with the stylus...with ONE  hand..while the other is holding the system...on a bus..or on a car..or, well..at any other place?

Things like that, in the long way will probably put a limit in developers into how "innovative" they can make games for the DS..and will end, with what most developers have been doing..in using the bottom screen as a menu..or as a map..or simple things that you have to just touch the screen with the stylus..and that's it....??!?

Bottom line, at leats for me..and I know I'm not alone in this.., technically the PSP is  more of a handheld..and does a better job at that..than the Nintendo DS...the pSP is more of an evolution of the Game Boy Advance..heck..Nintendo knows this..form day one, they admitted that the Nintendo DS WAS NOT the sucessor of the Game Boys...and they are working on a new GB, which rumors has it, is similar to the PSP in cappabilities..no touch scren or any "innovation"..

P.S. Nintendo said that Nintendo DS, stands for Nintendo DEVELOPERS SYSTEM...more than DUAL SCREEN, which was the litteral translation... ;)