The 2005 Baseball Thread

He won't, but I'm hoping he can at least stay healthy and give us a chance. If we had a healthy staff, we'd be set to comepletly own the al east now.

Cubs traded for Jody Gerut today, we gave away Jason Dubois. Can anyone here at Neowin give us some info on Jody Gerut? How is his injury doing, is he 100%?

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

2005 44 138 12 38 9 1 1 12 18 14 1 1 .275 .357 .377 .733

he's a good pickup and was born in Elmhurst IL not far from Chicago....

But how bout them White Sox!!!! Coming out of the break on fire and their lead now 13 games.

The trade wheels are starting to spin in high gear. The Padres seem to be busy. They acquired Randa for some minor leaguers (Story here.) They also have a deal in place to get Ponson (Story here) but it's not a done deal yet. Nevin has to waive his no-trade clause.

The trade wheels are starting to spin in high gear. The Padres seem to be busy. They acquired Randa for some minor leaguers (Story here.) They also have a deal in place to get Ponson (Story here) but it's not a done deal yet. Nevin has to waive his no-trade clause.

586259411[/snapback]

good for them, the way things are right now, they should win their division without too much trouble from colorado, arizona, and SF, but then they are poised to embarass themselves with a first round sweep. Ponson would be big, not sure if phil nevin is exactly what the orioles need though.. unless of course, they are able to acquire AJ Burnett as well

Who else thinks Frank Thomas should think about hanging them up? The guy can't stay healthy for a full season. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119802

O and bangbang023 just led me to a story that a three-team trade is supposedly in the works that would send Manny Ramirez to the Mets. I know he brings a TON of baggage but to have that kind of bat and putting him back with Pedro could be just what he needs. They had tons of fun last year. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119978 O man I'm starting to drool. :drool:

:( http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119978 . An update.

Edited by bigbluepride35

that would be a significant bat lost out of the boston line up. i don't understand his "no privacy" complaint, red sox fans are a passionate lot but i doubt that people bother him for autographs or anything. the crazy this is i saw him just yesterday. he gets his hair done by the same lady i go to and yesterday he was jsut finishing getting his done when i got there. no one bothered him everyone treated him as a regular folk, he had no entourage(excellent HBO show though) and wasnt dressed flashy at all. as he was leaving he said good bye and i gave him the head nod as he hit the door.

The only way Frank Thomas is done is if the broken bone in his foot doesn't heal.

All of the injuries he has had are from incidents on the field. Not the body breaking down like other players.

He tore his triceps a few years back on a diving play and his foot just broke and never healed properly.

If he can get his foot healthy he will come back and help a team. With a not fully healed broken foot he hit 12 homers in just 34 games. Imagine if he were healthy.

We are also talking about one of the best hitters of this generation.

I still don't understand why teams don't just fastball hammer Giambi. His homers are all against offspeeds pitches and he still has a hard time getting the high heat. Duh, just got after him.

Still, dude is having a great stretch.

Good for him. Admit to steroids, get healthy without them, work hard, take the criticism and go out on the field and produce. A good story, I think.

Still, dude is having a great stretch. 

Good for him.  Admit to steroids, get healthy without them, work hard, take the criticism and go out on the field and produce.  A good story, I think.

586309569[/snapback]

That fastball quote was made before he took off. He's hitting those fast balls now. The thing that gets me is why Anaheim was so set on pitching him inside.

Well, I haven't been to Neowin in a loooong time. Alot has changed and not for the better if you're a Cubs fan. The White Sox and Cardinals have the best records in baseball. Talk about a nightmare. Though I keep hoping for the Cubs to beat the Cards in the NLCS and then the White Sox in the World Series. Take that Boston, two rivals in one postseason. Ahh, if only to dream.

Some thoughts:

Derrek Lee is smokin'. And as cool as your sig is BroChaos, I think the TC is out of reach for him. He's 6 back in RBI right now and tied for HR but he's getting the Bonds treatment and seeing fewer and fewer pitches to hit. Not to mention being walked everytime he comes up with an RBI chance. He's had 2 RBi in his last 9 games vs. 9 walks. That's his worst RBI stretch all season.

Non-Trade Deadline: Stupid GMs. I think the major reason for the lack of deadline trades is the GMs asking waaay too much for their rentals. Tampa wanted TWO top prospects for Huff and Baez meaning 4 for both. I read articles where the Rangers wanted Mitre, Hill AND Pie for Soriano. Sometimes I think I could make a better GM for some teams. Why not trade Soriano for Mitre, a minor league pitcher, and maybe Hairston. You get a pitcher for now, a pitcher for later, and money in the off-season to go after a pitcher like Burnett. Hairston replaces Sori at 2B and the Cubs can turn Gerut into Lawton for CF, and put Murton in LF. They wanted a ransom for their players because they wanted the immediate good pub so they don't get fired for having crappy seasons.

Other thoughts: Bonds - suspicious, Raffy - sad, Giambi - skeptic, Braves/Bobby Cox - awe, Nats - awe/sad, Sammy - knew it, Cards/White Sox - ####, Abreu - Nothing since, A's - again?, Manny - anyone see Ortiz's line the game he sat? 0-1 with 4 walks. That's why they kept him.

Well, I haven't been to Neowin in a loooong time. Alot has changed and not for the better if you're a Cubs fan. The White Sox and Cardinals have the best records in baseball. Talk about a nightmare. Though I keep hoping for the Cubs to beat the Cards in the NLCS and then the White Sox in the World Series. Take that Boston, two rivals in one postseason. Ahh, if only to dream.

Some thoughts:

Derrek Lee is smokin'. And as cool as your sig is BroChaos, I think the TC is out of reach for him. He's 6 back in RBI right now and tied for HR but he's getting the Bonds treatment and seeing fewer and fewer pitches to hit. Not to mention being walked everytime he comes up with an RBI chance. He's had 2 RBi in his last 9 games vs. 9 walks. That's his worst RBI stretch all season.

Non-Trade Deadline: Stupid GMs. I think the major reason for the lack of deadline trades is the GMs asking waaay too much for their rentals. Tampa wanted TWO top prospects for Huff and Baez meaning 4 for both. I read articles where the Rangers wanted Mitre, Hill AND Pie for Soriano. Sometimes I think I could make a better GM for some teams. Why not trade Soriano for Mitre, a minor league pitcher, and maybe Hairston. You get a pitcher for now, a pitcher for later, and money in the off-season to go after a pitcher like Burnett. Hairston replaces Sori at 2B and the Cubs can turn Gerut into Lawton for CF, and put Murton in LF. They wanted a ransom for their players because they wanted the immediate good pub so they don't get fired for having crappy seasons.

Other thoughts: Bonds - suspicious, Raffy - sad, Giambi - skeptic, Braves/Bobby Cox - awe, Nats - awe/sad, Sammy - knew it, Cards/White Sox - ####, Abreu - Nothing since, A's - again?, Manny - anyone see Ortiz's line the game he sat? 0-1 with 4 walks. That's why they kept him.

586318898[/snapback]

yeah that trade for manny was bogus. basically manny to the mets for cameron and ONE top prospect, huff for two top prospects. that trade made no sense at all, an rbi machine for that? if manny wanted out i would have told him tough titty ur staying until we can get something thats worth your value.

Jason Giambi went 3 for 4 and raised his season average to 291 and hit 2 more home runs tonight, winning the game for the Yankees.

What an amazing turn around story. He comes clean, apologizes, dedicates himself and seems to have emerged from this Trial by Fire as a capable baseball player once again.

Kinda gives ya the warm and fuzzies, don't it? :)