The 2005 Baseball Thread

As long as he isn't just using something that can't be detected. I want to be happy for him, but that thought lingers.

I would imagine the dude is under huge scrutiny and is tested pretty hardcore given his situation. I do hope he's clean. :)

seems strange to me. from getting hit by balls all the time to hit the most homeruns by a yankee for the month of july? its gonna be in the back of everyones mind and if he does test positive what a **** storm he will be in then.

I would imagine the dude is under huge scrutiny and is tested pretty hardcore given his situation.  I do hope he's clean. :)

586330709[/snapback]

I would guess that as well, the only problem is the players are only tested ONCE. Say Giambi was tested early in the season, clean as can be. Then he struggles and decideds you know what, they can't test me again, I'll just use HGH for the rest of this season, get off after it's over and start up after my next clean test.

Also likely since there isn't a definitive test that can detect HGH consistently so it isn't included in the MLB procedure. (Nor the NFL I think)

I would guess that as well, the only problem is the players are only tested ONCE. Say Giambi was tested early in the season, clean as can be. Then he struggles and decideds you know what, they can't test me again, I'll just use HGH for the rest of this season, get off after it's over and start up after my next clean test.

Also likely since there isn't a definitive test that can detect HGH consistently so it isn't included in the MLB procedure. (Nor the NFL I think)

I thought as part of his "admission" he agreed to weekly random testing with the Yankees?

I'm not sure about that. Even if he wanted to, he isn't allowed to be tested unless it is part of MLB policy. Remember a while back (2003 or so) when Rick Reilly from SI ambushed Sosa at Wrigley with a cup and an address for a testing facility and asked him to go get tested. Sosa said he couldn't and Reilly ripped him a new one in the article. Forget the fact that Sosa may have been using and assume that he wasn't. Imagine if he accepted, took the cup, came out clean and Reilly printed all of it. The heat Sosa would get from the players union would be immense. Every player and their mother would have reporters showing up with cups.

I'm not stating this as fact but more speculation. If Giambi agreed to something like that I don't think the union would approve for fear of teams enforcing their own testing schedule and procedures for other players. If it happens for one it has to happen to all so Giambi probably isn't tested weekly unless the entire league is.

Standings in NL Central:

St. Louis

Houston

Milwaukee

Chicago

Cincinati

Pittsburgh

Our date with .500 went well and we're ready to advance up to the winning season.

Giambi went 2 for 3 and is up to .293 for the season now.

NY Times had a 2 page article on him the other day even:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/sports/b...l/07giambi.html

They indicate that the docs say the pituitary tumor could not have been a result of steroids. But either way, that is some scary stuff.

Looks like Don Mattingly worked hardcore with him to help get his swing and timing back. Good job Mr. Mattingly! (Y)

i don't know how much more i can take :(

went from being in the hunt for the wild card, to losing 5 straight to the 2 teams ahead of us in the wild card...

went from being in the hunt for the wild card, to losing 5 straight to the 2 teams ahead of us in the wild card...

586342948[/snapback]

Yeah sorry about that. Seriously I want to root for the Cubs but can't do it when they play my Mets lol. :p

Bummer, dude. :(

But in an effort to cheer you up by comparison, look at the plight of the Seattle Mariners fan. 2001 they won 116 games. Last year lost 99. They're on their 3rd coach and second GM since then.

Got rid of Pat Gillick (GM) and Lou Pinella (Coach). Got rid of Freddy Garcia (pitcher) and Carlos Guillen (ss), both of which have rocked the house since hitting the road.

How can you take a team that tied the single season record for the most wins in all of baseball history and turn it into a 99 loss team just 3 years later?

No wonder Ichiro wants to be traded.

It's getting unbearable. During last nights 6-1 loss I couldn't stand watching it on TV with Joe Morgan announcing. ANyway, for those of you not familiar with the Cubs radio team they usually have a "Guess the Attendance" game where before the game they have a 10th caller type thing where the caller picks either Ron Santo or Pat Hughes as the one closest to guessing the actual attendance. If they pick correctly then they get a gift certificate and some future game tickets. Anyway, Ron usually stinks at it. He's always over by a couple thousand fans and yesterday he won for the third straight game. Pat says "Hey Ronnie, that's the third day in a row" and classic Ron goes "I don't even care anymore" and Pat says "Me neither".

Something needs to change and it's nothing personal, racial, or whatever else the columnists want you to believe but Dusty just isn't the right fit for this team. I think they went so far in '03 in spite of Dusty rather than because of him.

There's a poll on ESPN about people's thoughts of renaming the Cy Young award to Roger Clemens. Not really for it but it did make me think more than i thought it would.

Hooooooooooooly crap. HUGE collision in the Mets-Padres game today between Mike Cameron and Carlos Beltran. I never saw one so violent. They both dove at full speed and collided head-first. I mean they looked like two missiles. On your feet you can usually have a little give. This was just pure VIOLENT. The link has an article and clip. Cameron was taken off with a stretcher and his neck immobilized. Beltran managed to leave on his own two feet. http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/new...t=.jsp&c_id=nym

ack, can't see the vid at work...but i got espnews on....

hope they are ok, doesn't sound too good.

omg, that was horrible....one of the worst collisions i've seen.

cameron has a broken nose and multiple fractures in both cheek bones. sounds like his face just got smashed in. no spinal/neck injuries though.

cameron has a broken nose and multiple fractures in both cheek bones.  sounds like his face just got smashed in.  no spinal/neck injuries though.

586363382[/snapback]

That's a relief actually considering how bad that looked. Still, he's probably done for the season. Looks like Victor Diaz is coming back up.

Wow, just saw the video on the local news. There are absolutely no words for that, I mean it is just crazy :wacko: Glad to hear that there's no spinal or neck damage though ... hope they pull through alright!

I was driving back from Chicago (to NYC) and we were about halfway through PA. Me and my parents figured we'd try to get the Yankee game on 880 and when we turned it on the first thing we heard was about the collision between Cameron and Beltran. They said the Catscan showed both broken cheekbones and a broken nose :(. When I just saw that clip it's absolutely horrifying.

Something like that, even if he comes back next season... will prevent Cameron and possibly Beltran from playing at their full potentional. It will always be in theback of their mind... Like the bitcher from the Red Sox (not clement) a couple years ago who got hit in the face with a line drive and broke like his entire face... He came back once and could never pitch again... It's just in their mind too much. I remember seeing a thing on ESPN a few years ago about some left handed pitchers who broke their arm during pitching... same thing with them..

Anyways... to what I wanted to talk about... everyone talking about Giambi taking steroids again. I don't really think any of you know anything about baseball (or you just haven't played baseball in your life), if you're gonna say he started taking steroids again.

Steroids don't help get your timing down, nor do they help you see the baseball. Steroids just make you hit the ball far. Giambi's on base percentage is the highest in the league, and that's not because he's taking steroids. It's because he's got a good eye and walks, alot. Steroids don't help that happen. If you've ever played baseball and were a good hitter, that stays with you. It always stays with you, steroids or not. The timing and your eye will always be there. Steroids don't make any of that happen.

i was at the dodgers/phillies game last night, and the was a bloop fly to shallow center/left field, the shortstop, left fielder and center fielder were all sprinting for it, and then they just stopped, and let the ball fall. you know they saw sportscenter and saw what happened. i would say with pretty good confidence that it even has an effect on other players as well.

Anyways... to what I wanted to talk about... everyone talking about Giambi taking steroids again.  I don't really think any of you know anything about baseball (or you just haven't played baseball in your life), if you're gonna say he started taking steroids again. 

Steroids don't help get your timing down, nor do they help you see the baseball.  Steroids just make you hit the ball far.  Giambi's on base percentage is the highest in the league, and that's not because he's taking steroids.  It's because he's got a good eye and walks, alot.  Steroids don't help that happen.  If you've ever played baseball and were a good hitter, that stays with you.  It always stays with you, steroids or not.  The timing and your eye will always be there.  Steroids don't make any of that happen.

586366393[/snapback]

i wouldnt have a problem if he was getting contact all over the place but to hit 14 homruns out of nowhere? as u said steroids allow you to hit the ball farther and if he was batting .400 for the month with 6-8 homeruns no argument, but he is hitting the ball out of the park and thats what makes me think he is.

i wouldnt have a problem if he was getting contact all over the place but to hit 14 homruns out of nowhere? as u said steroids allow you to hit the ball farther and if he was batting .400 for the month with 6-8 homeruns no argument, but he is hitting the ball out of the park and thats what makes me think he is.

586368212[/snapback]

look at his on base percentage. :whistle: It's not from just hitting homeruns, it's from walking ALOT. Steroids don't give you the patience and the eye to walk.

look at his on base percentage.?:whistle:: It's not from just hitting homeruns, it's from walking ALOT.? Steroids don't give you the patience and the eye to walk.

586371439[/snapback]

umm not talking about his obp but talking about his homerun tear. yeah his obp is up but in comparison to what it was in earlier months its not surprising. his homeruns went up people stayed away from him more hence more walks. and on top of that he only has walked only 4 more times than he did in june yet he hit 13 more homeruns so his obp should go up.

you may say that proves your point but as i said before i'm talking about his monthly stats for homeruns and for this season are 3, 1, 1, 14 and 2 for the month of august. i'm not saying the guy is or isnt on steroids but it wouldn't surprise me if it was to come out that he is. With palmeiro having the balls to take them again after going before congress i wouldn't put it beyond any professional athlete to do it.

edit: oh and ur right the numbers say he has a good eye but for the month of july it only garnered him 4 more walks than he had the month before.