The 2005 Baseball Thread

The Blue Jays are probably not going to make the playoffs. The way it works is all the division winners automatically get in. As of right now it is the White Sox, Red Sox, and whoever finished better the Angels or A's. Then every other team is arranged by their records and whoever is leading that list is the 4th team, the Wild Card team. As of right now the loser of the Angels A's battle is going to get that. The Yankees are next then Indians and then the Blue Jays. It can be done but it'll be difficult.

Went to the Yankee game today with bigbluepride35 (a met fan). What a game. In the bottom of the 11th, Tino gets on first with no outs and I turn to him and say "wouldn't it be cool to see the old school yanks win it?" and he replies "bernie would have to hit a...." bam! Homerun Bernie Williams! The Yankees Win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees Win!

Nothing beats a good baseball game live.

Well, I just bought tickets for the Angels/A's series the final week of the season. The Angels come for 4 games...should be awesome.

I'll tell you what, the A's and Braves are going to be on top of their divisions for a long time. With so many young players getting chances to play every day, there's no slowing them down. Easily the 2 best farm systems in the major leagues. And they are easy to cheer for, especially the A's. Trade 2 MVPs and 2 Cy Young contenders? No problem.

Well, I just bought tickets for the Angels/A's series the final week of the season. The Angels come for 4 games...should be awesome.

I'll tell you what, the A's and Braves are going to be on top of their divisions for a long time. With so many young players getting chances to play every day, there's no slowing them down. Easily the 2 best farm systems in the major leagues. And they are easy to cheer for, especially the A's. Trade 2 MVPs and 2 Cy Young contenders? No problem.

586373210[/snapback]

Hey if my Mets paly it smart and keep the left side of their infiled intact with Wright and Reyes we could hold on to hope lol. The Braves' streak has to end at SOME point, I hope. And as for your tickets to that series. Wow, should be in store for some great baseball.

O and yeah, as much as I can't stand the Yankees the experience of a game at that stadium is ten times better than Shea. Can't wait till we get our new staidum. Hopefully it will put some energy into the fan base as well. (Yes the Mets are supposed to get a new stadium too)

O and yeah, as much as I can't stand the Yankees the experience of a game at that stadium is ten times better than Shea. Can't wait till we get our new staidum. Hopefully it will put some energy into the fan base as well. (Yes the Mets are supposed to get a new stadium too)

586373313[/snapback]

I always wanted to ask you that. The few games I've gone to at Shea never did it for me, but I didn't know if it was because I'm simply a Yankee fan instead. The energy does seem to build better in the house that Ruth built.

I always wanted to ask you that. The few games I've gone to at Shea never did it for me, but I didn't know if it was because I'm simply a Yankee fan instead. The energy does seem to build better in the house that Ruth built.

586373322[/snapback]

I dunno, I think I gotta get out to a Pedro game at Shea. On THOSE nights it seems to be full of energy. At least that's what comes through on the TV. But yeah aside from that. Attending a game in a stadium that routinely has flooded clubhouses and always a new foul odor, it's hard to get excited.

I don't think there is anything more amazing on earth than a night game at Fenway park.

586373195[/snapback]

Having never been to Fenway and your opinions being as they are, I personally feel a day game at Wrigley is phenomenal. Haven't found anything that comes close.

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually a follow-up to the original story but I think you get the gist of it from the article. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2143002 I personally liked this quote lol:

In addition, the Fort Myers Miracle, the Minnesota Twins' Single-A affiliate in the Florida State League, have offered him an honorary batboy position during their game Monday night against the Tampa Yankees.

"Similar to a rehab stint, we want to help this kid stay on top of his game," Miracle GM Steve Gliner said. "Instead of crying over spilt milk, we decided to offer him the honorary post."

Anyone else think that the fact that this kid got a suspension that is over half as long as players get for steroid use ridiculous? Talk about proper priorities. And just out of curiosity, exactly what rules did he violate?

For those claiming that A's and Braves have the best farms in baseball you are forgetting who actually does have the best farm in baseball, The Cleveland Indians.

These guys that no one has heard of has made the Indians a contender in just 3 years since the overhaul. and they have the farm to continue doing this for a long time. Just like Oakland they do not need a 200 mil payroll to be struggling for the wild card. Oakland and Cleveland are how teams should be built. Not the "money buys championships" mentality of the Yankees, Angels, Dodgers, and Mets. Which other than the Angels, who won their championship before going out and spending a fortune on big names, none of those teams have won a championship in the last 5 years. I think Steinbrenner should dump his payroll and build a team from his minor league squad, he would probably get a team that would dominate for years to come instead of this failed attempt to "win now". ok I'll step off my soap box now.

For those claiming that A's and Braves have the best farms in baseball you are forgetting who actually does have the best farm in baseball, The Cleveland Indians.

These guys that no one has heard of has made the Indians a contender in just 3 years since the overhaul. and they have the farm to continue doing this for a long time. Just like Oakland they do not need a 200 mil payroll to be struggling for the wild card. Oakland and Cleveland are how teams should be built. Not the "money buys championships" mentality of the Yankees, Angels, Dodgers, and Mets. Which other than the Angels, who won their championship before going out and spending a fortune on big names, none of those teams have won a championship in the last 5 years. I think Steinbrenner should dump his payroll and build a team from his minor league squad, he would probably get a team that would dominate for years to come instead of this failed attempt to "win now". ok I'll step off my soap box now.

586436407[/snapback]

You do realize, as of now, the Yankee's problems are simply based in their injury riddled pitching staff, right? Also, that $200 million number is deceptive as a large sum of that is tied up in only 8 players. And to close, they're also fighting for the lead in the East. We're right on Boston's heels and face them quite a bit more before the season is done.

The Brewers have the best farm system. We developed Rickie Weeks who is doing a great job for us now. Pretty Soon Prince Fielder and Krenzel will be up.

even though they've only had one world series win......winning your division every fricken year is damn impressive (and damn annoying to me ;)). i think the braves easily have the best system in baseball.

even though they've only had one world series win......winning your division every fricken year is damn impressive (and damn annoying to me ;)).  i think the braves easily have the best system in baseball.

586444263[/snapback]

Oakland does pretty damn well. They are up their for best system or, at least, best use of very young talent.

even though they've only had one world series win......winning your division every fricken year is damn impressive (and damn annoying to me ;)).  i think the braves easily have the best system in baseball.

586444263[/snapback]

As many young players as they've had to use this year, and having more competition in the NL East than ever (every team about .500), yet still winning the division again - I don't know how anyone can have a better system than Atlanta. I do agree that Cleveland and Milwaukee are really close this year though.

I'm in the uk, we only get maybe 1-2 baseball matches live.

I was wondering why theres alot of new teams playing in our live games i've never heard of before.

Has there been a league shakeup?

12 straight seasons under .500 doesnt say much for a teams farm system.

586441989[/snapback]

We've just recently been developing it (since 2002 I believe). If you saw todays game when teh Crew killed the Padres 12-2 you would have saw the future of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Yanks don't seem to be on track to make it in now. Moose is gone for a while and we really don't know how Wright will react to being hit. Damn, we were so close.

Yanks don't seem to be on track to make it in now. Moose is gone for a while and we really don't know how Wright will react to being hit. Damn, we were so close.

586474408[/snapback]

If they stick with Chacon and Small I think they'll be fine.... Wright toughed it out like a man... I think he'll be fine as well :yes:

We've just recently been developing it (since 2002 I believe).? If you saw todays game when teh Crew killed the Padres 12-2 you would have saw the future of the Milwaukee Brewers.

586472868[/snapback]

speaking of milwaukee.. I would gladly pay you guys to take Dan Kolb back.. this guy is absolutely horrible.

How about we give you Victor Santos. I'm sure he would be a great addition to the Braves!!

(Actually he's not, Santos the worst pitcher in history)

Man what a weekend for baseball coming up. The unbalanced schedule pays off in September. So many series with playoff implications. Since my Mets are quickly fading and falling deeper down the hole, I'll be watching Sox-Yanks. The AL East could be decided this weekend if the Sox sweep. Time to kick back, relax, and enjoy the drama.