Official WinHEC 2005 Thread

I don't know why people are getting all bent out of shape about the GUI. I thought everyone knew that this build would basically be windows XP with a lot of security and stability features added. I had thought people wouldn't be stupid enough to be screaming about the GUI. I guess I was wrong  :rolleyes:

585826121[/snapback]

so true :yes:

Why didn't they just bring Windows XP and call it a day?

This looks nothing like longhorn at all, it looks like the 2002 version of Longhorn which was XP with a tweak here and there. It looks and feels like a service pack for XP. WTF?

What have they been doing for five years? Looks like they have been sitting on their asses and having meetings all day. Its almost May 2005 and we have this?

Looks to me that they have a long way to go, 2007 anyone?

Pathetic.

I don't know why people are getting all bent out of shape about the GUI. I thought everyone knew that this build would basically be windows XP with a lot of security and stability features added. I had thought people wouldn't be stupid enough to be screaming about the GUI. I guess I was wrong  :rolleyes:

585826121[/snapback]

I think people are legitimately concerned that the longer MS waits to get the much-needed UI upgrade into production, then the greater the chance that they won't deliver on it. And the interface is clearly one of the most important parts of an OS (otherwise we'd still be looking at command prompts right now).

I will always use a PC ('cause they're better :) ), but few can debate the fact that Mac OSX is significantly better-looking and has a more user-friendly interface. It's time Microsoft get one-up on Apple in the GUI department and this is their chance to do it. I keep hearing about vector-based icons but wonder if it's really going to happen. If MS can't even complete some of the "core" functionality by release time, what makes you think they can finish the UI as promised, which is presumably a secondary objective?

Why didn't they just bring Windows XP and call it a day?

This looks nothing like longhorn at all, it looks like the 2002 version of Longhorn which was XP with a tweak here and there.  It looks and feels like a service pack for XP.  WTF?

What have they been doing for five years?  Looks like they have been sitting on their asses and having meetings all day.  Its almost May 2005 and we have this?

Looks to me that they have a long way to go, 2007 anyone?

Pathetic.

585826145[/snapback]

Looks like some people cant read, there are things that you cant see in a static screenshot, like how much work has been done to the base of the operating system, all your seeing is a PLACEHOLDER THEME nothing more, I reckon anyone else who moans about there not being a decent GUI should have their post deleted.

Looks like some people cant read, there are things that you cant see in a static screenshot, like how much work has been done to the base of the operating system, all your seeing is a PLACEHOLDER THEME nothing more, I reckon anyone else who moans about there not being a decent GUI should have their post deleted.

585826163[/snapback]

how about thread restriction entirely due to ignorance.

585826121[/snapback]

Let's remember, what is being said about Longhorn:

"Avalon and Indigo are two "fundamentals" of Longhorn, the next release of Windows. Avalon is the presentation subsystem and Indigo is a platform for Web services."

and again

"According to Microsoft, Avalon unifies how Windows creates, displays and manipulates documents, media, and user interfaces."

If you don't see user interface related to longhorn I can't help you. I agree, that eye candy isn't something that would be very important at this stage of development, but I also understand those people, who are rather dissapointed in what Microsoft is showing.

Betas arent for the end user though, so they shouldnt have any expectations as to what Longhorn should be at this state in development, if it wasnt for people posting about WinHEC a lot of people wouldnt have a clue what the latest build looked like.

Let's remember, what is being said about Longhorn:

"Avalon and Indigo are two "fundamentals" of Longhorn, the next release of Windows. Avalon is the presentation subsystem and Indigo is a platform for Web services."

and again

"According to Microsoft, Avalon unifies how Windows creates, displays and manipulates documents, media, and user interfaces."

If you don't see user interface related to longhorn I can't help you. I agree, that eye candy isn't something that would be very important at this stage of development, but I also understand those people, who are rather dissapointed in what Microsoft is showing.

585826169[/snapback]

They have already stated before that beta 1 would not have the GUI impimented and would be focusing on security and stability and would basically have winxp's GUI with some tweaks. I just don't get what people were expecting with this build.

I think people are legitimately concerned that the longer MS waits to get the much-needed UI upgrade into production, then the greater the chance that they won't deliver on it.  And the interface is clearly one of the most important parts of an OS (otherwise we'd still be looking at command prompts right now).

585826153[/snapback]

The GUI IS in production, it's just that Microsoft is keeping it under raps until BETA 2. And like many have said before this is not the time for the candy and this has no bearing on what the final build will look like.

And one more time, THIS IS NOT WHAT LONGHORN WILL LOOK LIKE! :whistle:

its too early for a leak i guess, winhec keynote is at 10am. Im suprised MS is only at 5048 with longhorn, hope to see some new features.

Also the build they will be showing for the keynote will probably be different right?

It is leaked. Won't tell you where or when but it has. :shifty:

edit: and btw. this keynote by Bill that is starting 9:30 A.M. Pacific Time would that be in like 3h and 40 mins? Since I am in a completely different time zone i am unsure when that will be over here :D

Edited by BlueFighter

It is leaked. Won't tell you where or when but it has.  :shifty:

585826458[/snapback]

And you have downloaded it to confirm it's real? :shifty:

And you have downloaded it to confirm it's real? :shifty:

585826496[/snapback]

Yesterday I downloaded internet so I have everything :shifty: at least that's what the page said, i can post proof later if you want ;)

I have not downloaded it yet but I am soon at home and then it will be mine mohaha :shifty:

Yesterday I downloaded internet so I have everything :shifty: at least that's what the page said, i can post proof later if you want ;)

I have not downloaded it yet but I am soon at home and then it will be mine mohaha :shifty:

585826504[/snapback]

:rofl: you haven't downloaded it so how do you know it's real? :whistle:

i have it!!!

but i cant burn it!

its 831 mb

and i must burn it to a cd, but i have only cds of 700mb

and i cant burn it to a dvd, if i do that, then does nero burn video files (a AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder!)