Official WWDC 2005 Keynote Discussion

Huh?  Saying good job is trolling?  Whatever kuay.

586025151[/snapback]

nah ! I'm betting that you'll be ****ed when you come to know of some restrictions (if they exist) not saying that you are trolling now.

i'm not sure if anyone else has thought around these lines, but ill just put it out there...

is it conceivable that microsoft went to IBM and said we want you to focus on making chips for the xb360, and we will pay higher prices for these chips if you ditch apple as a customer (thus shooting apple in the foot, and hence their rival operating system)

forcing apple to go towards intel?

i know its pretty way out.. but mm got me thinking a bit

586025154[/snapback]

I don't see what the point in that would be...that only brings OSX closer to Windows's camp, rather than leaving them on the other side of the battlefield. Especially with the parnetship MS/Intel have had in the past

i'm not sure if anyone else has thought around these lines, but ill just put it out there...

is it conceivable that microsoft went to IBM and said we want you to focus on making chips for the xb360, and we will pay higher prices for these chips if you ditch apple as a customer (thus shooting apple in the foot, and hence their rival operating system)

586025154[/snapback]

NO. To screw Apple from PowerPC chips. Only to gain them as them as competition with OSX on the X86 platform just in time for Longhorn? Not really good sense. :no:

I wonder what effect this will have on the Microsoft-Intel relationship... now apple have sided with intel, maybe microsoft will become more friendly with AMD

is there a link to QT7 for windows yet?

586025158[/snapback]

that's what i'm wondering too. :)

i guess this is great news for consumers. too bad amd didn't get a deal. :\

It's funny how many people think that because Apple is going to start using Intel chips that OSX will become runnable on any ol' PC.

you people make me laugh. and then cry.

"In the cultural sense, Intel is a lot like Apple..."

Really?  Isn't AMD a lot more like Apple, a smaller company, the underdog with the superior product?  AMD must have negotiated for this deal, and it would have done wonders for the competitive balance if they'd won.

586025098[/snapback]

don't be an AMD fanboy. I think apple is going for intel because of those dual core prices and besides intel is a very healthy company. Their sales don't just depend on their processors. They have so much business in the flash memory market as well.

586025154[/snapback]

No.

There were two main reasons for the switch:

1) IBM's inability to produce a capable notebook version of the PowerPC 970 (aka "G5")

2) IBM's unwillingness to commit resources to the G5's developement and to deliver the technology and pricing that Apple wants at the appropriate volume.

Intel offers them better pricing, better technology (especially for mobiles), and since Intel doesn't have to make special processors for Apple - volume is not an issue. Intel is happy to provide Apple with a low volume to start off, and they'll have no problems growing with them as necessary.

This move has been a long time coming. From what I've heard, there have been two "factions" within Apple gunning for Intel vs. IBM. Many in Apple's ranks wanted to go to Intel years ago, some even back when OS X was first released. One main reason not to was marketing. But technology and cost-wise, they've had every reason to for years.

for all we know at the moment Intel may be making a special chipset just for mac. Then the drivers or some other form of locking within it, will only be available with the mac os.

Jobs likes to keep things under tight control. I doubt very much that you'll ever see an offical Mac OS release that'll run on anything but Mac hardware.

It's funny how many people think that because Apple is going to start using Intel chips that OSX will become runnable on any ol' PC.

you people make me laugh.  and then cry.

586025167[/snapback]

Well even before the intel version of OSx, it did run on any ol' PC with PearPC. I would be VERY surprised if apple locked it down and a workaround wasn't found.

What to do in Summer 2007

Buy an Intel based Mac running OS X

Install Windows on a separate/external hard drive.

Enjoy OS X for general usage.

Use Windows for games. ;)

Between now and the switch, can you imagine apple's sale will be?

586025203[/snapback]

I would say slim to none....and that's what worries me...:(

you people make me laugh.  and then cry.

586025167[/snapback]

I tend to agree with you, but I didn't see Apple going intel either.

INTEL IS THE DEVIL>>>I HAVE PROOF

lol

they said next year at this time they will be running on intel cpu's

well todays date is 6/6/05, thus making next year 6/6/06

phear In7311

Sad day for Apple IMO. I wont be buying any Apple computer using an Intel CPU.

586025210[/snapback]

Your loss. What difference does the CPU make? As long as I have OS X, I will be happy.

No need to be rude.  Don't know why you are picking on me.

586025176[/snapback]

I'm not trying to be rude, just cautioning you and many others before castles are built in air .. You dont want to overexpect and get disappointed, do you ?

What to do in Summer 2007

Buy an Intel based Mac running OS X

Install Windows on a separate/external hard drive.

Enjoy OS X for general usage.

Use Windows for games. ;)

586025184[/snapback]

Now there's a thought. Everyone's speculating on running OSX on any PC, but it would seem that installing Windows on an Intel-based Mac would be fairly straightforward (if these Intel chips are x86).

Say goodbye to VirtualPC.

PS - Can someone confirm that the chips Intel will make for Apple are going to use the x86 architecture??

PPS - Nevermind, the development kits are using Pentium 4's...

Here's another great question. Everyone that's saying they're going to drop apple because of this.....Where are you going to go? Microsoft?!

Mac is a Mac because of the software and design not the hardware inside.

The intel hardware is gonna to run the new OSX-intel version just as well or they wouldn't have even thought about switching.

Very low. People will think twice before buying a PPC-based Mac. I was considering buying an iMac G5 this summer, but I'll just keep my eMac till 2006.

586025231[/snapback]

Same here, my iBook stays till early 2006 now. :shifty: