Official WWDC 2005 Keynote Discussion

Between now and the switch, can you imagine apple's sale will be?

586025203[/snapback]

Very low. People will think twice before buying a PPC-based Mac. I was considering buying an iMac G5 this summer, but I'll just keep my eMac till 2006.

lol I like how everybody has this mindset that intel if awful. You guys are just being closed minded. The fact of the matter is IBM couldn't get a G5 into a powerbook/ibook. Do you think apple can tolerate this? Nope.. So what is their course of action? They go with a company that has been doing it for years. It makes perfect sense. If you guys are going to be closed minded and not even give intel a chance then it is your loss. I know I will continue to buy apple products. I own an ipod and a powerbook g4 right now :).

I think all the flame-baiters need to reminded of that including Steven.  :whistle:

586025243[/snapback]

I"m not trolling or flame-baiting. I"m really happy bout this. honest. :)

Perhaps my excitment is being taken the wrong way.. sorry. :blush:

Even Calvin is happy see! :p

Honestly, the only thing that would really upset me about this is if there's some dorky "Intel Inside" thing on the outside of my next Powerbook (which I'll be getting next fall, instead of this fall now.)

AHHH! Why does it matter what CPU your using?!!

I don't understand why this is a sad day for Apple. Embrace the new technology, embrace PCIe, embrace Pentium M, embrace a Dual-Core Powermac Workstation. What does it matter what processor is running under the hood, it's the Operating System that matters.

OSX will be locked to hardware I'm betting.  So you won't be able to buy OSX and install it on a non-apple intel machine.  However, someone will come up with a way to dual boot Windows on a Mac machine.  That'll make more people buy the mac so they can get both worlds, os wise.  :)

586025125[/snapback]

Sure, just install Windows and Linux on Apple hardware:)

People, Apple sent me another PowerMac Transition Kit by mistake but its running the wrong OS, see pic below:

:(

post-25934-1118082377_thumb.jpg

What to do???

I don't understand why this is a sad day for Apple. Embrace the new technology, embrace PCIe, embrace Pentium M, embrace a Dual-Core Powermac Workstation. What does it matter what processor is running under the hood, it's the Operating System that matters.

586025238[/snapback]

Well, I like the G series more than Intel chips. They always win for video encoding.

Today we morn the G 3/4/5, god bless IBM. *puts on black suit*

586025238[/snapback]

Agreed.

LOL @ MEMO.INC.

About the only thing I dislike about this news is that I don't have Intel Macs to play with right now.

586025238[/snapback]

I won't risk buying an expensive computer that will have no or little support from feature software. And I want to know for sure how the whole transition is going to work.

I wonder.. How are they going to name the new intel based Macs, If PowerPc mac = PowerMac...

Intel Mac= IntelliMac? LOL

This is great, this is awesome, nobody should be worried with this (Consumers), This will drive prices lower!, more choices, I love choices :D this is a happy day :p

586025238[/snapback]

Agree :) . Extremely ironic coming from AMD :D . I wanted to get a Mac Mini this summer. I guess i'll wait for 6/6/06 for a Yonah powered one then.

isent this just economics? apple has been BEGGING IBM for 3.2ghz g5's for year or 2 now and its the same story.

then Microsoft comes along and asks IBM for the same 3.2ghz chips and all of a sudden IBM is all over it

why? you may ask. becuase when jobs calls up ibm and orders a couple hundred thousand 3.2ghz chips, ibm says "yeah yeah, ill get around too it"

when gates called up IBM and says, hay, i need 10 million 3.2ghz chips for my new xbox, everyone at IBM gets a partial and starts creamin there pants when they realize how much money 10 million chips is going to make them.

is this just apples way of saying F you ibm? you wont make chips for us but youle make them for microsoft, well then we dont want your chips at all, neener neener neener

i just dont think apple has a market to justify a proprietery chip that requiers its own manufacturing facility.

im really excited as well, id personally dump XP till longhorn or forever if it would run on my centrino laptop....not that i expect this to happen anytime soon, but it would be nice

Agree :) . Extremely ironic coming from AMD :D . I wanted to get a Mac Mini this summer. I guess i'll wait for 6/6/06 for a Yonah powered one then.

586025275[/snapback]

lol, got to love the AMD fanboy, embracing an Intel based Mac.

lol, got to love the AMD fanboy, embracing an Intel based Mac.

586025293[/snapback]

Actually my rig:

2.8E skt 478 P4

PowerEdge 700

W2K3 enterprise edition

(16 mac mini's would fit in the space this beast takes up).