Official WWDC 2005 Keynote Discussion

Steve notes that the Marklar rumors that have been circulating for years are true, that the last five versions of Mac OS X has been compiled for both the PPC and Intel based chips.

:drool:

10:26am PDT - ?Now, let?s go to the big topic: Transitions.?

10:27am PDT - 1994-1996 Moto 68K -> PowerPC. ?I wasn?t hear then, but from everything I hear the team did a great job.? 2001-2003: OS9 - OS X.

10:28am PDT - ?It?s time for a third transition. And yes, (puts up slide that says): It?s true.? Next slide is one word: ?Why??

10:29am PDT - ?I stood up two years ago and promised this (3.0G PowerMac), and we haven?t been able to deliver.? Steve says it?s bigger than that, though. No roadmap for the future based on PowerPC - they can?t see a future.

10:30am PDT - Intel offers not just increased performance, but reduced power consumption. Transition will be complete by WWDC ?07.

it makes a difference to me - i was planning on buying a new powerbook in the near future, and now if they're switching things around, i'll be waiting for the dust to clear before deciding on ANYTHING.

Holy ****, as absurd as the rumour was I can't believe it's true. This is major! I think it's the best move for Apple by far, but it's a massive, massive gamble!

10:26am PDT - ?Now, let?s go to the big topic: Transitions.?

10:27am PDT - 1994-1996 Moto 68K -> PowerPC. ?I wasn?t hear then, but from everything I hear the team did a great job.? 2001-2003: OS9 - OS X.

10:28am PDT - ?It?s time for a third transition. And yes, (puts up slide that says): It?s true.? Next slide is one word: ?Why??

10:29am PDT - ?I stood up two years ago and promised this (3.0G PowerMac), and we haven?t been able to deliver.? Steve says it?s bigger than that, though. No roadmap for the future based on PowerPC - they can?t see a future.

10:30am PDT - Intel offerbut reduced power consumption.but reduced power consumption. Transition will be complete by WWDC ?07.

586024923[/snapback]

Besides Dothan, Intel Pentium Dual Core chips are power-sucking monsters!!!

I'm shocked, I really can't believe they actually had this top-secret x86 build of OSX this whole time. I never believed the people with the Marklar conspiracies

But the question is, what architecture? x86? x86-64? PPC made by Intel?

They are switching "to Intel". That's worthless. Give us an architecture.

If they are going to x86.. all I can say is.. good bye apple ::waves::