Official WWDC 2005 Keynote Discussion

"My Next PC will be a Mac."

It's ironic that a Mac is now officially a PC!!! :laugh:

Holy ****, as absurd as the rumour was I can't believe it's true. This is major! I think it's the best move for Apple by far, but it's a massive, massive gamble!

586024907[/snapback]

:o OMGWTFBBQ!!! This is crazy!!! I don't know if anyone remembers that thread about what you think Apple needed to do to continue to grow but one of the things I said was they needed to move to everyday hardware......... :ninja: OMG OMG OMG! I CAN'T BELEIVE THEY REALLY DID THAT :p Oh yeah anyone know if there will be a video of this later for download?

hahahah, that's pretty funny just thinking about that scenario.

586025039[/snapback]

Unfortunately.... AMD, like IBM, can't offer Apple the dedicated resources and incomparable pricing advantages that Intel can. It's the same reason Intel won the original Xbox deal... They'll lose money just to win the contract.

there is potential here for OSX to be avaliable on Intel based PCs and Intel based Macs... there is potential for OSX to be locked out for AMD based PCs

DRM anyone?

Develpoer Kit includes 3.6GHz Pentium 4. OS X 10.4.1 for Intel (preview release). Order today; available in two weeks. [10:48 am]

Nooooooooooes!, I can't believe it was true moving to Intel :wacko:

Radish?

i bet the dudes at AMD are sitting there going "what the f*ck?"

586024992[/snapback]

hahahah, that's pretty funny just thinking about that scenario.

Why would they?

586025036[/snapback]

Dude it's a joke, relax.

Apparently there is a layer that allows for PPC binaries to run on an Intel Mac.

As long as it does that same thing backwards, so I can run Intel Mac-compiled Apps on my PPC box, I'll be happy for a long time to come. (For as long as I can have a PPC Mac, that is).

So does this mean Apple are stepping back down from 64bit to 32bit?

586025050[/snapback]

I highly doubt it. Why would they?

Intel's chips are fully AMD64 compatible.

On to more important matters...

I think it's time for me/Paul/Scoble to say "I told you so"

:p

586025052[/snapback]

yeah..the sad thruth...

ok...I'm on the phone with my stock broker RIGHT NOW..should I let my 300 shares of apple go?...

Develpoer Kit includes 3.6GHz Pentium 4. OS X 10.4.1 for Intel (preview release). Order today; available in two weeks. [10:48 am]

586025040[/snapback]

I cannot wait till that gets leaked.

I am shocked I thought the intel deal was BS for sure.

Hi

Well i think now would be a great time to buy a PPC mac, so we can sell them in 10 years time as vintage,retro mac's.

This is so weird, posting in a Macintosh forum...

Anyways, I'm thrilled about this announcement. I like everything about the Mac, EXCEPT the fact that it just doesn't have as big a following as Windows-based PCs. Now that Apple is going Intel, hardware is going to be less expensive and if Apple plays their cards right, I can see a LOT of people switching over to it from Windows. I can so see Bill Gates in his office shaking in his booties right now!

Although I don't think this was a great way to make the announcement. Maybe there is no "good" way, but I can see Apple's sales plummeting. People aren't going to want to buy a machine that's going to be obsolete in less than a year. But once they make the switch, Microsoft had better watch out!

There's some good discussion about this on TWiT's podcast this week.

586025040[/snapback]

are you serious... this just replace GTA:SA from my most anticipated release.. :pinch: :pinch: :shifty:

I'm thinking there will be some type of lock in anyway, something to prevent OSX from running on say, a Dell computer.

I don't think there will be a time that you will go to best buy and purchase OSX for your Dell PC, there will be some sort of lockdown

when theres some competition, microsoft usually deliver the goods.

586025062[/snapback]

Indeed. Microsoft does its best work when it has fierce competition. They're the ultimate underdogs. I for one hope it keeps the Windows guys on their toes.

hold your stocks till you see the market actually move in a certain direction...

this has the potential to make or lose you alot of money

So does this mean Apple are stepping back down from 64bit to 32bit?

586025050[/snapback]

I doubt it. If the first products ship on Intel in mid 2006, i think it will be a X86-64 chip.

are you serious... this just replace GTA:SA from my most anticipated release..  :pinch:  :pinch:  :shifty:

586025066[/snapback]

It's a $999 rental :D, only for select ADC members