No High Definition in Revolution: Nintendo

Its not that stupid of an ideal, it is a business cost cutting move.

A: Why should those of us pay for a feature that will be an extra cost to the console for the 2% of people who have HD TVs? Currently more people have standard TVs so it will not be effecting the majority of consumers. I don't see why we should pay for the minority.

B: In 3-5 years or however long it will take HD to become the standard when every home will have one, the console will be obsolete anyway.

C: It will keep the cost of development down for developers. With HD the artists have to do more work, for one thing making have to make higher resolution textures, cg movies, etc.

Its not that stupid of an ideal, it is a business cost cutting move.

A:  Why should those of us pay for a feature that will be an extra cost to the console for the 2% of people who have HD TVs?  Currently more people have standard TVs so it will not be effecting the majority of consumers.  I don't see why we should pay for the minority.

12%, actually.

And it's not like the console will have to be $50 or $100 more expensive. The way consoles are designed today the cost to support HD is pretty trivial.

B:  In 3-5 years or however long it will take HD to become the standard when every home will have one, the console will be obsolete anyway.

3 years? That puts pretty much any console right in the prime of it's life. Well, not Revolution, considering the lack of HD from it.

C:  It will keep the cost of development down for developers.  With HD the artists have to do more work, for one thing making have to make higher resolution textures, cg movies, etc.

586053221[/snapback]

I was kinda hoping cg movies would be dead next generation. There's no real need to use different textures either, unless the Revolution also has less RAM than the competition. Especially for ports it's actually more work because they have to make the textures from PS3/360 lower res just for the Revolution.

12%, actually.

And it's not like the console will have to be $50 or $100 more expensive. The way consoles are designed today the cost to support HD is pretty trivial.

3 years? That puts pretty much any console right in the prime of it's life. Well, not Revolution, considering the lack of HD from it.

I was kinda hoping cg movies would be dead next generation. There's no real need to use different textures either, unless the Revolution also has less RAM than the competition. Especially for ports it's actually more work because they have to make the textures from PS3/360 lower res just for the Revolution.

586053403[/snapback]

To output higher resolutions will definitely add more cost to the system because the system will have to process more data. And to do so that means you will need a more powerful graphics chip, processor, RAM, etc that can handle the higher resolutions then you would need with lower resolutions. Because if you don't, corners will have to be cut to insure a proper framerate, etc. If you play PC games you would know that increasing resolution can be very taxing on the hardware. If you want the best performance at higher resolutions you will have to use better hardware and the same holds for consoles.

And I do agree with you, there is really is no more need for CG movies. I still don't get why RPGs on the PS2 still switch back and forth between in game rendered cutscenes when games like Resident Evil 4 are all in game cut-scenes. I am playing Shadow Hearts 2 right now on PS2 and it is really bugging me out that the game keeps switching between in-game renders to CG.

Here is the thing. Nintendo actually likes to make a profit on their system. Joe Consumer or Joe Parent, which makes up the majority of the market who buys consoles, is not going to care about HD, teraflops, RAM speed, processor, etc. What they are going to see is a $200 system versus a $300-$400 system. Do you think the average person really cares if they have 6 USB ports or dual digital outputs to their TV? Probably the sticking point to them will come down to price. I notice that when my parents were buying a new DVD player recently they had no clue about the features, but what they did notice was the $100 DVD player vs. the $300 DVD player and they went with the $100 DVD player.

seeing as we don't have HDTV in the UK thats impacting my comment here a little, but i don't get it anymore, all anyone cares about now is the technical side and whats the games look like, not the gameplay. I wouldn't be supprised if most people bought their consoles just because the specs look good and they didn't play it once.

I mean, those games that you just keep and keep on going back to ie Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo on the SNES - crap graphics for todays standard but still amazingly fun and addictive heck i even played that game today!

Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony can make their consoles totally and uterly crap if they wanto, but if they release good games with good gameplay and the kinda games you just get hooked on i really wouldn't care if the console was crap, i'd still buy it and play it, and keep on playing it for aslong as i could.

To output higher resolutions will definitely add more cost to the system because the system will have to process more data.  And to do so that means you will need a more powerful graphics chip, processor, RAM, etc that can handle the higher resolutions then you would need with lower resolutions.  Because if you don't, corners will have to be cut to insure a proper framerate, etc.  If you play PC games you would know that increasing resolution can be very taxing on the hardware.  If you want the best performance at higher resolutions you will have to use better hardware and the same holds for consoles.

And I do agree with you, there is really is no more need for CG movies.  I still don't get why RPGs on the PS2 still switch back and forth between in game rendered cutscenes when games like Resident Evil 4 are all in game cut-scenes.  I am playing Shadow Hearts 2 right now on PS2 and it is really bugging me out that the game keeps switching between in-game renders to CG.

586053603[/snapback]

lol

Its funny to see you flip flop, keep it doing :rofl:

(Just to be clear, your stand point in regards to Revolution's specs were that it will be powerful and now you are admitting that making a powerful console doesnt make sense)

(Just to be clear, your stand point in regards to Revolution's specs were that it will be powerful)

586053698[/snapback]

Where did I say this, seeing how you like to keep tabs on me.

I really don't care. Games looks fine the way they are now :rolleyes:

PS3 - Dual HDMI Output (Y)

Nintendo - Single Composite Output (N)

586053760[/snapback]

Nintendo has a RGB output...

Where did I say this, seeing how you like to keep tabs on me.

586053744[/snapback]

Keeping tabs on you ? Thats a good one. :yes:

I just remember that because I had a discussion with you on that. :whistle:

Keeping tabs on you ? Thats a good one. :yes:

I just remember that because I had a discussion with you on that. :whistle:

586054155[/snapback]

This is like the third time you have posted something about me saying things. Then you never explain yourself or quote what I have said before. Then in previous threads you call me a Nintendo fanboy just because I don't like a specific game or a system, even though I own 10 consoles. God forbid I don't like a game or system that other people like. How about next time you stop posting things that I supposedly say or making up things about me.

This is like the third time you have posted something about me saying things.  Then you never explain yourself or quote what I have said before.  Then in previous threads you call me a Nintendo fanboy just because I don't like a specific game or a system, even though I own 10 consoles.  God forbid I don't like a game or system that other people like. How about next time you stop posting things that I supposedly say or making up things about me.

586054191[/snapback]

Didnt you say that Revolution will be powerful ? (as opposed to 2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube)

I called you a fanboy because you are one. Never seen you critical of Nintendo, never. (And please dont count those rare 2-3 occasions over the last 5 years :D )

NR will be powerfull enough. We don't need all that power that PS3/360 have. It's about the games, not the power.

586054244[/snapback]

I favor gameplay too, but if that statement were entirely true, then no one would want a more advanced console.

I favor gameplay too, but if that statement were entirely true, then no one would want a more advanced console.

586054250[/snapback]

Then again, I still find myself hooking up my SNES to play games like that. I mean, when I see PS3 showing "we can open 1,000 MPEG videos with our console" Well, who the **** is actually going to do that? I don't care if my PS3 can wack me off and solve world hunger; as long as it can play me some good games, then I like it.

Didnt you say that Revolution will be powerful ? (as opposed to 2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube)

I called you a fanboy because you are one. Never seen you critical of Nintendo, never. (And please dont count those rare 2-3 occasions over the last 5 years :D )

586054213[/snapback]

I said the Revolution will be 2-3 times more powerful then the GameCube because that is what Nintendo's president said. Is there something wrong with that, I didn't know weren't allowed to quote the president of companies.

Sorry, I did not realize I had to inform you everytime I make an anti-Nintendo comment. I will make sure I send a PM and e-mail along with the link to my post from now on. I didn't know you are the post police keeping count of who says what and if it is negative enough or not . Just keep on lying about me saying by saying things like I am never critical about Nintendo. Either start reading posts or don't make up a claim at all.

And I didn't know that by not saying negative things about a company, that classifies someone as fan boy. I guess that makes me an Apple fan boy then even though I've never owned an Apple computer in my life and never said anything bad about them.

Edited by jmole

586054250[/snapback]

True, but Nintendo is trying to also create new gameplay possibillites and genres. And a new type of console is needed for that.

Anyone know if the PS3 and XBOX have HDMI output? Or is it just coaxial/Svideo

586054267[/snapback]

PS3 has 2 HDMI outputs, Xbox 360 will have DVI (you can get an adapter for DVI > HDMI)

most people wont have a single HDTV let alone 2 HDTVs so Dual HDMI is useless until PS4

586053828[/snapback]

Wtf are you talking about? I would expect this statement from someone living in a poor country, but your info says you are from Toronto too.

The majority of the people I know who play with consoles have at least one HDTV, or are buying one real soon. I personally have 2 HDTVs in my house, and in my society, I am barely even middle class.

When I first saw a picture of the Revolution, I thought that I would be one of the first to buy it, but now that thought has dissapeared.

Almost every tv sold today is an HDTV. Even the small portable lcd's have at least 480p. I bought Xbox in 2003 over a ps2 because it had HDTV, while PS2 didn't. Now, 2 years later, you (not you specifically, orangesoul) are saying people still don't need HDTV?

Imagine playing CS on your computer at 480x600. Imagine doing this while you have the best graphics card there is, best processor, and 5.1 surround. The low res will ruin the experience, although the graphics are still good. Nintendo is making a mistake here, and should rectify it soon. I really hope they do, because the Revolution looks damn good right now.

Nintendo has the right idea in mind by focusing on the games, and not on the hardware, but they are taking the wrong approach. Many developers will only spend their precious time making games for the best console available (take DOA for example). Nintendo needs to realize this, and understand that they cannot take the same approach with the revolution as with the gamecube. They should do something similar to this:

Produce a console under $400CAN

This console should have cutting-edge graphics similar to it's competition.

Should have all the major features as it's competition, plus exclusives.

Small Form Factor, aesthetically pleasant to please Japanese market.

Make it simplistic enough on the outside for a 10 year old to use, and sophisticated enough inside to satisfy any technophile.

Fix all the mistakes they made in the previous console (bad controller, small discs, ugly)

yeah, something like that.

Many developers will only spend their precious time making games for the best console available (take DOA for example).

586054411[/snapback]

If game developers only developed for the most powerful system hardware-wise then the PS2 shouldn't have the largest game library and still have the most games being developed for it. Third party developers are going to produce their exclusive game for whatever company throws the most money at them. It always comes down to the almight dollar.

Make it simplistic enough on the outside for a 10 year old to use, and sophisticated enough inside to satisfy any technophile.

Fix all the mistakes they made in the previous console (bad controller, small discs, ugly)

Consoles can be made cheap and sold cheap at launch, yet have close to the same graphical capabilities as its higher priced competitor. The GameCube launched at $200 when and its graphics are nearly as good as the Xbox, which sold for $300.

Smaller proprietary optical disks = less pirating = less revenue lost. The controller is all a matter of one's preference.

Edited by jmole

I said the Revolution will be 2-3 times more powerful then the GameCube because that is what Nintendo's president said.  Is there something wrong with that, I didn't know weren't allowed to quote the president of companies.

Sorry, I did not realize I had to inform you everytime I make an anti-Nintendo comment.  I will make sure I send a PM and e-mail along with the link to my post from now on.  I didn't know you are the post police keeping count of who says what and if it is negative enough or not .  Just keep on lying about me saying by saying things like I am never critical about Nintendo. Either start reading posts or don't make up a claim at all.

586054305[/snapback]

You said ? It was more on the lines like this: "Nintendo didnt say that Revolution will be less powerful compared to Xbox 360 & PS3". I may not be 100% accurate but it was something on those lines.

And I didn't know that by not saying negative things about a company, that classifies someone as fan boy.  I guess that makes me an Apple fan boy then even though I've never owned an Apple computer in my life and never said anything bad about them.

586054305[/snapback]

If Apple were in the console business and a potential threat to Nintendo, I'm sure you would have made anti-Apple remarks. :D

Wtf are you talking about?  I would expect this statement from someone living in a poor country, but your info says you are from Toronto too.

The majority of the people I know who play with consoles have at least one HDTV, or are buying one real soon.  I personally have 2 HDTVs in my house, and in my society, I am barely even middle class.

When I first saw a picture of the Revolution, I thought that I would be one of the first to buy it, but now that thought has dissapeared.

Almost every tv sold today is an HDTV.  Even the small portable lcd's have at least 480p.  I bought Xbox in 2003 over a ps2 because it had HDTV, while PS2 didn't.  Now, 2 years later, you (not you specifically, orangesoul) are saying people still don't need HDTV?

586054411[/snapback]

Games have good enough graphics how they are now.

Imagine playing CS on your computer at 480x600.  Imagine doing this while you have the best graphics card there is, best processor, and 5.1 surround.  The low res will ruin the experience, although the graphics are still good.  Nintendo is making a mistake here, and should rectify it soon.  I really hope they do, because the Revolution looks damn good right now.

GC have 640x480 resolution. Still RE4 looks cinematic.

Nintendo has the right idea in mind by focusing on the games, and not on the hardware, but they are taking the wrong approach.  Many developers will only spend their precious time making games for the best console available (take DOA for example).  Nintendo needs to realize this, and understand that they cannot take the same approach with the revolution as with the gamecube.  They should do something similar to this:

So you think best hardware means best console. Yea right! GC lost most 3rd party because of it didn't have a good online support. And also N64 had some impact there.

yeah, something like that.

Revolution will have good enough graphics to satisfy you graphicshores out there (except PS3/360 fanboys of course). Nintendo have more exclusivs than any other console. Japanese people want small consoles that doesn't take up a lot of space. NR is perfect for them. GC have the best controller of all this gen consoles imo. What's so bad with small disks?. And what's ugly with GC?