[NHL] Official Buyout & Signings Thread

fred, didn't you say something about the leafs signing old locals?

586336231[/snapback]

I believe I talked about injury-prone old locals.

Oh, wait, that applies too!!! All we need now is to sign Eric Lindros. The guy loses consciousness every time he sneezes.

In other matters, I don't begrudge signing Domi though. It just wouldn't be the Toronto Maple Leafs without Domi. I mean, at the moment he's projected to be our #2 right winger which is just nuts but, well, it isn't as nuts as Wade Belak (who really should be a seventh or eighth D that is just used as a forward to keep him on the roster).

The other thing that I laughed at was that they talked about having not a 1-2 punch but a 1-1a punch. Well, if that is true that Sundin is WAY overpaid. Not that I am a Sundin basher. There's enough of them in this town.

Ray Witney signs with Carolina

Colorado re-signs Milan Hejduk ($19.5m for 5yrs. Pretty damn good if you ask me)

Nashvile signs Scott Nichol

and the Pens pick up Ziggy Palfy (3yrs $4.5m a year. Sounds right since Kovalev, Kariya, Gonchar and Satan r both getting roughly the same price)

anyone heard anything about selanne?

586339740[/snapback]

Meh. He's done, as far as I'm concerned.

But, anyway, he's probably going to St. Louis. Maybe Atlanta.

me too, it looks like the sun-belt teams are picking up some good talent. Hopefully it boosts the NHL's popularity throughout the rest of the US... in the future u never know, u might see a 1st overall pick from a player from Tennessee or Alabama.

Unless Thornton is almost 40 years old, he won't sign with the Leafs.

Lecavalier becoming a Hab has been a rumor for a while now, but likely won't happen until he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer, if at all. Those links are quite misleading though. I don't know why TSN.ca has such blatant flaws on their site.

lol its not real... u can take that link and change the end to any team you want

ie. http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?pla...1627&hubName=TB

to

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?pla...627&hubName=CAR

or

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?pla...627&hubName=ANA

St. Petes Times reported that Lecavalier wanted to sign a long term deal with Tampa. Not sure if that is entirely true, but i'll do anything possible to see Vinny wear the CH :)

Thorton a leaf?

lecavlier a hab?

my friend showed me theese two links...  :whistle:

pretty interesting but is it real..an early leak possible or what?

586346412[/snapback]

Boston sent Joe Thorton a qualifying offer so the Leafs would have to trade for him. Which brings up the point of what/who do the Leafs have to offer?

^ leafs don't have anyone to offer

the capitols don't even really have a team i think i read on HTR they have 8 players signed...definitly not enough for a team

lecavalier isnt signed per-se but he is a restricted free agent, and at his price, i think any team that would sign him would hvae to give up a couple first and 2nd round picks in order to get him. Im sure TB will sign him for this comming season, and then he'd go on the market next year when he becomes unrestricted. Thast when montreal swoops him up :)

As for the caps, much like Buffalo, they havent done much shopping, but there r still a few players that need signing, and the caps did sign Ovechkin.

btw here are today's signings

Osgood signs 1yr with Detroit ($900,000)

Dagenais resigns with Montreal for 1 year ($550,000)

Grier accepts Buffalo's qualifying offer

Colombus has re-signed Rick Nash to a 5yr contract worth $27m

Detroit's getting some good deals from their loyal players (Osgood may have been gone for a while, but he's still loyal). It's great to see players putting egos aside and taking what they truly feel they deserve (Osgood, Chelios, Yzerman, Shanahan, etc).

The local radio boys talk about John Ferguson's master plan for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Apparently after 2005-2006 we'll only have about 9 million committed in player salaries so we'll be able to go crazy and reshape the team when most clubs are short of money.

They talk about surving the year with our 40 year old goalie in order to make a splash next year.

They also talk about spending the rest of our cap room on Eric Lindros for a one year deal. Where would he play? We'd have a ton of centres and no wingers.

M. Sundin

J. Allison

N. Antropov (to left wing?)

M. Stajan (to left wing?)

K. Wellwood (no physical presence for checking but not good enough for top six?)

C. Kilger or Clark Wilm (4th line centre material)

IMO, Antropov and Stajan are too value to play on the fourth line. Wellwood isn't physical enough and too young to only play 7 minutes per night. I'd rather see Chad Kilger or Clark Wilm play that role. At 28 years old, we don't have to worry about their development (or if they languish).

Then we have the problem of too many left wingers. Luckily either Darcy Tarker or Alex Ponikarovsky can play right wing. Domi really needs to be pushed down to the third line one way or another.

I figure thats what TO is doing. They're gonna have one hell of an offseason next year signing new players. So they only have $9m committed next year? who does that include? i know Sundin has a no-trade clause.

I figure thats what TO is doing. They're gonna have one hell of an offseason next year signing new players. So they only have $9m committed next year? who does that include? i know Sundin has a no-trade clause.

586353784[/snapback]

Sundin is under contract for $7.6 million for 2006-2007 but I am not sure if it all counts under the cap.

Darcy Tucker is under contract for about $1.5 million for 2006-2007.

Eddie Belfour will be gone (the Leafs won't take his option).

Recently the Leafs aquired O'Neill and his two year contract so add another $1.5 million for 2006-2007.

Oh, and Domi signed a two year deal recently. Add $1.25 million for 2006-2007.

That brings us only up to $11.75 million (mind you, that's only 4 players)

Jason Allison signed a one year deal. Pretty much everyone else is on one year deals too. Maybe there are a few kids on cheap contracts.

Antropov isnt that bad, if he can use his size effectively, he could be a good power forward, 3rd line, potential 2nd liner.

I think this season is going to be Pittsburgs season. man what a team they got (or bought)