• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What Do You Think Of Windows Me???

akaladis    1

uniacid,

i wanna make sure everything works fine in XP. My system is:

m/b: QDI Advance 9

cpu: P3 733 MHz

ram: 512 MB SDRAM

hdd: 1x 10GB (seagate) 1x 60GB (maxtor)

gfx: Diamond Viper II Z200 (Savage 2000)

sfx: Creative SB 128 PCI

That's why I wanna make sure everything is going to work fine... As far as I know, Microsoft hasn't put a 'Uninstall windows XP' feature in order to go back to winMe, so i won't risk my system. I have put in so much work in making it run just as i want it, there is no way i:

a) format ANY drive

b) upgrade to a non-uninstallable OS

c) am going to run XP stand-alone unless everything is working fine in the first place... So Microsoft could be kind enough to get their asses on here and fix this piece of stupidity called dual booting winMe/XP... grrr

oh and dont get me started on my gfx now...

// Raptor

uniacid    0
Originally posted by mh508

uniacid,

That's why I wanna make sure everything is going to work fine... As far as I know, Microsoft hasn't put a 'Uninstall windows XP' feature in order to go back to winMe, so i won't risk my system. I have put in so much work in making it run just as i want it, there is no way i:

a) format ANY drive

b) upgrade to a non-uninstallable OS

c) am going to run XP stand-alone unless everything is working fine in the first place... So Microsoft could be kind enough to get their asses on here and fix this piece of stupidity called dual booting winMe/XP... grrr

// Raptor

lol well u can get WinXP Home and do an upgrade from that and if it doesn't work out you can uninstall it :) but its only on Xp Home

SuBHuMaNGuY    0

hahah one of my friends tried to convince me that Windows 2000 was actually a beta for Windows ME :ponder:

:dead:

akaladis    1

TwiGGyr2003,

why? windows 2000 is a beta of Me isnt it? hahahahaha lol lol lol rofl rofl rofl lmao lmao lmao

uniacid,

do i not look like a pro user? for me, winXP Home are for newbies. WOW! New colourfull icons to impress newbies and let them eat their hearts off! Gimme a break here :D

oh and before you go on me and ask "OK smartie, if you are a pro user why don' you use win2k?" well the asnwer is well can't you guess? It gives me same old crap as winXP when trying to dual boot, so not 2k/XP for me yet...

cheers! it's fun ain't it!?

CdCViRus    0

Windows ME, eh?

I remember those days when ME came out. I used to run 98SE. As soon as it came out, I ran online to get myself a copy (*cough, cough*) Btw, I had a PII back then ... so ... !

Then I installed it. Was fine in the beginning - but soon as I put software on it, like Office, Norton, it started crashing. Nontheless, ignoring the BSODs, it ran fine on my system. My records were 11 months w/out formatting, and my best uptime was 4 1/2 days - spent mostly online, and idle. I dont mean "idle" as in doing absolutely nothing. What I mean is that it would d/l w***z at night, and then I would play some games when I came home from school for lunch - so it wasnt completely idle. Well, you know what I mean

Anywayz, I HATED / HATE Windows ME - I think that after 98SE, ME is the worst OS M$ has ever released! I would choose 95, and NT4 over ME any day. Now I have XP, and just the mere thought of things like "9x", "98", "98SE", "ME" gives me the creeps.

So basically, WinME is a pile of junk, which does not even deserve the title "Operating System"

shanks    0

My first post (although I've been lurking for a while) and unfortunately I have to disagree with most of you ! I've been runnning ME for a while now on a P3 with 512mb ram and since the last reformat - about 8 months ago, I havn't seen any BSOD at all. The only reason for the last format was because I was changing 2 hard drives over and wanted a clean start.

Sorry folks but for me it's the most stable Windows OS I've used.

Cheers

sanctified    1,220

is the worst OS in my list

lot of BSOD, and 90% of them were the os fault

JnCoKiLLa    0

Will this thread ever die off and go away

dc'    1

it stinks. :p

Germano    0

the worst I've ever installed (installed all since 3.0)...

not even my modem was supported, lots of hardware drivers were removed, and drivers from the manufacter don't work.

XP's the best.

if you don't want to upgrade, stay with Windows 98 SE.

Steven    80

damn this is a month old thread :s

the current vote is

Approx. 91% of voted say Me Sucks..

Is this any bit of information proving this os is crap? :ponder:

Obraxis    1
Originally posted by Germano

XP's the best.

if you don't want to upgrade, stay with Windows 98 SE.

True. True.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

:cool: Me was my first OS. I had some trouble with it at first, you know the common ones.... Well, I learned to tweak it and now have gotten, along with almost any other OS to run smoothly without much of a problem. Hands down I have found Me to be a better OS than win 95,98,98se or (God for bid) NT. In fact, I have found XP pro (the best) to run much better for the things I do with it as an Upgrade from Me. Me has been my saviour numerous times, it has problems like any other OS. But it can be a very stable, fast, and reliable OS when understood. Just like any other OS without some dum activation damning down it's functionality.

Toxicfume    7

Windows ME, i think, was crap. IT would crash alot, programs would never stop crashing, and it never left a chance, if it got, to reboot itself automatically :s

But one thing i admit is, that it worked AWESOME for my games, my FPS were decent, they ran fast, and the quality was nice(this may be because of the drivers, oh well), ..quite wierd for an OS that crashes like a karateka chopping off bricks, but nontheless..the whole OS itself was not good at all.

Gr_Terror    0

Btw winxp pro has also colourfull icons for newbies and its slightly different from the home version.Actually there is a small package the pro files with which u can convert a home cd to a pro one BEEP warez detected!

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by Toxicfume

Windows ME, i think, was crap. IT would crash alot, programs would never stop crashing, and it never left a chance, if it got, to reboot itself automatically :s

But one thing i admit is, that it worked AWESOME for my games, my FPS were decent, they ran fast, and the quality was nice(this may be because of the drivers, oh well), ..quite wierd for an OS that crashes like a karateka chopping off bricks, but nontheless..the whole OS itself was not good at all.

You are correct in that Me is great for games. Most people have something to bad to say about Me. Most people also do no understand the what and how of Me. It is the best 9x OS around. The OS was designed to be much faster than 98se, potentially rivalling XP. However, MS did a poor job of developing System Resore, and Me's NT capabilities. Those two problems along with it being 9x based make it unstable. To make it stable, much more than 98se ever was, you have to over come those points. I learned how! Me is great! XP is great, but have you noticed driver issues? Me was like that in the beginning......

Spartan_X    1
Originally posted by mh508

uniacid,

// Raptor

The Savage 2000 graphic chipset will $uck under XP, you'll get some blue screens during setup if you use this VC... get a new one before you "switch".

;)

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

Yeah under XP any video card driver, Except maybe Geforce 4, has problems. I found intially after upgrading from Me, the graphics do well, agfter your first update, bam, half the out put???

Setting your system for best performance (looking like 2k) the video performace is about 2/3 of normal. Other than a few other small problems, XP pro is great! Oh by the way, XP pro runs sooooo smoothly on my system. And Freakin fast too!

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

At Microsoft we see no limits to the human imagination. Our purpose is not simply to unlock the potential of today's new technologies. Our goal is to unleash the creativity in every person, every family and every business. We want to help you to do things you do every day - build your business, manage your family's finances, express your ideas - but do then faster, easier and better. Because we believe the real measure of our success is not the power of our software but the power it unleashes in you." Microsoft 2001 Annual Report ???????

What a load of sh*t for mindless zombies. MS currently wants to dictate to you how you can use your PC and software. This quote above is a load of poop. Willy boy just wants your dollar, and gives you a big middle digit to boot with!

GrymmWolf    0

My main machine is running XP Pro but of all my others (3 of them) 2 are running WinME, 1 running Linux)

the nasty old Pentium...my primary back-up machine has the following....

OS Name Microsoft Windows (Millenium)

Version 4.90.3000 Build 3000

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name XXXXX

System Manufacturer Not Available

System Model Not Available

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Pentium® Processor GenuineIntel ~166 Mhz

BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG

Windows Directory C:WINDOWS

Locale Canada

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 63.50 MB

Available Physical Memory 256.00 KB

Total Virtual Memory 314.07 MB

Available Virtual Memory 94.89 MB

Page File Space 250.56 MB

and it runs rather well.

Not even 1 BSOD. You see I have found, and strongly agree that WinME is not for power users...the more you tweak the less stable it becomes....hell this machines only got an old 6Meg Hercules Stingray 128/3D video card & I can still watch all sorts of tmd-moviez.:evil:

WinMe over any previous version...Yup!! Should you go to WinXP....Yup!!! But as mentioned before address your hardware issues before you commit.

=Indy-UK=    0

Strange how MS could release this buggy piece of crap AFTER the release of Win2k, which was far superior in stability.

The problem is that unlike Windows 95 and 98, Windows Me never had a second edition or service pack upgrade.

Microsoft basically released it and then abandoned it and its users and moved onto promoting XP.

Tonny Phang    0

sticked on win 98 ... ;) ;) ;)

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

YOu know what, bunch of sissy panty wastes just bitchin about Win Me. MS don't give a ****, Bill just wants his billions, he will put out an OS just to make money. That's it. Yes they abandoned the Me, for XP. And soon they will replace XP. Stop your bitchin about Me, I find it good, way better than 98se ever was.

Young Hova    0

Im running ME on my personal comp. because I can't upgrade :(

but for me, windows ME works great, it does seem to be buggy at times, but I like how it works.

and with add-ons, I can make my computer look like xp :D

Fedr0    40

I really hope this thread is just a big joke! :s