What Do You Think Of Windows Me???

Originally posted by zionath

heh i don't like it..... crap memory management and for some reason.... any file i had that was over 512 mb........... windows ME would corrupt ma files :s and messing up my diskfree space info ( that tells u how much diskspace u got ) :s :right:

..not to mention absolutely shocking swap-file handling, and a zillion other problems.

I see where you are coming from RomeoXP1.0.8.6., and I definately believe WinME isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's sort of become some weird "l33t" thing to bash Windows ME. But still, Windows ME is not worth the money it retails for. Also, Windows ME was out close to when Windows 2000 was released, and Win2K absolutely wipes the floor with WinME.

Even with extensive patching and tweaking, Windows ME has that tinge of personality.. something an OS shouldn't have. With Windows ME, you always run the risk of it doing backflips due to the poor quality of the original install (before patching and whatnot), where was with, say, Windows 98, it's not like that at all. I personally wouldn't touch any 9x kernel with a 10 foot pole, XP or 2k for me thank you!

Originally posted by BananaMan

..I see where you are coming from RomeoXP1.0.8.6., and I.................. thank you!

Thanks! Well here's one. Know what FIX-it 4.0 is? I found Me to run great after doing clean ups with Fix-it. Not the Defrag tool, but the clean up type stuff. I also use Customizer 2000 and Tweak Me for some settings. The Defrag help tool in Tweak Me Gold really does help a bit. Under most situations given you have enough RAM and a good video card, Me will work good. That's three programs and adequate hardware minimum of 256mb to get Me running decent. Optimally you also should go to pcpitstop.com and run tests to tweak your settings. They have some good scripts for download. Oh and update IE to 6. and tweak the settings. That is the most basic formula. It really is not hard. I have succeeded many times in getting people's computer's running amazingly well. Many of whom were and some still don't, switch to XP.

Originally posted by RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

Thanks! Well here's one. Know what FIX-it 4.0 is? I found Me to run great after doing clean ups with Fix-it. Not the Defrag tool, but the clean up type stuff. I also use Customizer 2000 and Tweak Me for some settings. The Defrag help tool in Tweak Me Gold really does help a bit. Under most situations given you have enough RAM and a good video card, Me will work good. That's three programs and adequate hardware minimum of 256mb to get Me running decent. Optimally you also should go to pcpitstop.com and run tests to tweak your settings. They have some good scripts for download. Oh and update IE to 6. and tweak the settings. That is the most basic formula. It really is not hard. I have succeeded many times in getting people's computer's running amazingly well. Many of whom were and some still don't, switch to XP.

Looks like you've done your research! Fair enough!

I have that formula system with other OS', namely XP. Upon fresh install.. apply a regfile I made for myself that enables and disables all the settings that I want, run a batch-file which disabled and enables appropriate services, install Via-4-in-1's, install dets, install monitor driver, run ReForce and get all the refresh rates right, apply uxtheme hack, change drive letters on swapfile partition and tempfile partition to Z and Y, and then my install can be deemed by my own standards to be juuuust right. XP Pro is a bit of a mess on the first run of a clean install (not stability-wise) with balloon tips and dog assistants rearing their heads up in Search and lastly all the XP Tour stuff being force-fed to the user. So I see what you mean about Me, because, even with XP Pro being fantastic, without appropriate tweaking it can be a bit of a pain, so that would naturally apply to Me. Good on you for putting yourself out there and opting for the unpopular stance on Me, it seems quite valid.

Still, WinME is not for.. well, me! Not after seeing the light that is 2k/XP. ;)

Please allow me to compare Windows ME with... a piece of Poo

why else do you think Microsoft never compare Me to any other OS, because its crap. You might also wonder why Microsoft released Windows ME with a beta version of IE5.5

and yes I have it, and bought it, used it once and went back to Windows 98SE then to Windows 2000 > XP

ME? *shudder* even the disease is better then what MS made ...

I do enjoy this comparison "ME is as unstable as a house built of sand on the top of a cliff in the middle of armageddon" ... speaks for itself. I tried it, went straight back to 98, then 2000 and XP.

Arnaudt

Originally posted by BananaMan

Looks like you've done your research! Fair enough!

I......Still, WinME is not for.. well, me! Not after seeing the light that is 2k/XP. ;)

Notice how I chopped the middle out?

Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence. I see you are intelligent enough to know how to make things work, when they don't. You are right. XPpro is great, but a little tweak does help. I actually don't tweak XP that much anymore when I setup. Cause it basically is good except for a few things. I use Me, and will continue. If anyone has Me and don't want it please give it to me, the CD, I mean.

NEOBOND,

You already stated you did not like Me. It is your fault since you admit to not giving it a fair shake, but don't worry about this statement, most people commenting on here haven't either.

Predatorz, ..........Very well put.

Windows ME was actually a great OS for me

worked a lot better than windows 98....gave my soundcard full duplex and among other things after applying numerous tweaks it was easy the best os i've used ...til i tried win2k

as much as i did like winme i had to give it up to the NT kernel because first of all win2k didnt have "system resources" that would drop regardless of what you did with it.....thta was my biggest problem with 9x/ME

if microsoft would have eliminated that ****ty system resources thing that screws you over after a long period of use i would still be on it now

I've never had it installed on any of my computers. Well the Dell 8100 I used to have came with it. First thing I did was get rid of ME. I could never torture a computer or user with that thing they call an os

Quite a few of my friends bought a HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc that came with ME back in the day. And on every one of those, they had problems up the wazoo. Hardware not working, os crashing, etc etc etc. So in almost every case (a couple i put winxp on), I formatted and put Windows 98se on there and what do you know....runs like a dream.

An OS should not require 5 third party apps to make it run decent. That's one sign it sucks.

super

I have mixed feelings about ME, more bad than good. In my experiences, Windows ME was more more stable than Windows 98, and definetely more compatible OS with newer hardware, after a few driver downloads.

The good part of Windows ME was it's modern-system compatibility, it's Windows 2000-wannabe features, it's stability over 98, and while not nearly as good as it should be, it's more-improved system resources handling, which was noticeably better than Windows 98's.

The bad part was that it was Windows 98 with half-arsed features of Windows 2000. It still had terrible memory management, terrible registry management, terrible stability compared to NT, and an accelerated OS Speed decline (I noticed it slowed down much faster than 98 did).

Having upgraded from ME > 2000 > XP, and running the NT OSes for 3 years now, I hate having to go back to using Windows 9x...just the other day, while at a friends house who still used ME, I saw the infamaus "Page Fault" error, something I haven't seen in 2 years. How humans adapt over time is amazing...

On a side note, he's a gamer that doesn't know how things work, thinking his new monitor caused things to mess up, and acting as if it were normal to have to reboot twice every time something went wrong (I call it Windows 9x error solving tactics). I'm glad to have XP.

• 4 weeks later...
Hooorah for XP! Now will this Longhorn crap be any better? From the looks of things,.........not really. I'll stick with XP pro for awhile.

You have to remember it is in Alpha at the moment which in no way represents how it will be in beta stages or final product. I remember Windows XP in alpha - nothing at all what it is today

btw Windows ME is poo-poo

You have to remember it is in Alpha at the moment which in no way represents how it will be in beta stages or final product. I remember Windows XP in alpha - nothing at all what it is today

btw Windows ME is poo-poo

You are right, Me is poo-poo. If you don't know how to use it properly. If you can't get it to work right, you don't know how. It is not as good as 2K or XP. But it actually does have is advantages, although they aren't many they can be significant.

I thought it was Okay for a few days, and then it started acting up.. :( Lost all my stuff to a nice big BSOD.

yeah same thing happenned to me :(

so i switched to WIN2K and to WINXP :) :unsure:

i cannot begin to describe the hate i have towards that pos operating system (winME)

it crashed for good about 5 months ago. I was, and still am running a dual boot, winme/xp. anyways it crashed for good..ive been running xp since. hasnt crahsed once. max time ive had it running was about a month (without reboot for installed apps)

WinMe is great, it never crashes (anymore) on my system. Yes I do use it, but not as much. I have XPpro now. But my Me has no BSOD's to speak of anymore. I think it's good. :)