Rose Bowl 2006

USC vs. Texas  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Rose Bowl of 2006?

• University of Texas
    • University of Southern California

Congrats to Texas. You shocked the world. This had to be one of the better championship games. I can't blame Pete Carrol for going for it on 4th down. The way Vince Young was playing the extra 20 yards wouldn't have made much of a difference.

You better believe that... Vince was on fire tonight.... USC seamed out of rythm... maybe jus tme..... maybe alcohoolll...... :x

You better believe that... Vince was on fire tonight.... USC seamed out of rythm... maybe jus tme..... maybe alcohoolll...... :x

Maybe they just got beat.

btw, you're from marietta? i'm from sistersville, hour north of parkersburgh. mom works in marietta. HATE the stop lights!!!

That was an awesome game. Good offensive scoring on both sides. I was a bit shocked at the end with Matt Leinarts arrogant comment "We are a better team and they got lucky". I'm sorry but Leinart and the USC offense played well and yet he couldn't be humble enough to say something like "We played well but Texas played just a little better". This totally blew my image of him. Even Pete Carrol was able to say Texas played well.

Anyway, I won $ 120.00, not just picking Texas but predicting the closest score, I picked Texas over USC 42-37, with the final being Texas 41-38.

I can't believe Leinart said such a thing after the game. Mack Brown took his time to nationally congratulate USC and ask for a round of applause during the trophy presentation and he says such an ignorant comment. That is why I hate USC.

Go Huskers and the Big 12!

this game reminded me of the ND/USC game earlier this season. There's was one difference, USC didn't score at the end of the game.

No kidding, I've been having to stay up late to catch the end of these games, haha.

Congratulations to Texas and welcome to the Crystal Ball Club. I really despised all that hype about how USC was clearly the best team ever and how Reggie Bush could have toppled the Nazis all by himself and all that jazz. We really never would have heard the end of it if USC won. Oh yeah, congrats Trojans on your one championship last year.

Vince young was unreal. He looked like a man among boys.

And, I give leinart a little slack on his comments. I mean, it is a pretty emotional game. I think if you asked him that at the press conference, you'd get a little more class. I dont agree with the press on the field like that.

This is the guy who voted for his teamate to win the heisman instead of himself.

at first the one ref said it was an incomplete pass because he was out of bounds ...then he put it under review

The onfield officials cannot put a play under review. It has to come from the booth officials.

As for USC referee bias, I guess you missed the UT touchdown where the guys knee was clearly down a few yards short of the endzone, but they gave it to him anyways.

I'd say that the officials in the first half (field and booth) were equally, beneficially impotent for both teams.

Thinking back on this game, I have to totally question Pete Carroll's ability to coach.

I mean, think about it. Who is the one guy you need to stop? Vince Young. They do this one thing in the pros when you are against a very mobile QB...called "police", where you stick a LB in there and his only job is to watch and basically shadow the QB.

Where was that the entire game?

You can't tell me that with 19 seconds to go, 4th and 5 you don't stick someone on Young. Let him beat you with his arm....the weak spot in his game.

But no. He rumbles on untouched into the end zone.....untouched and without anyone remotely close to even make an attempt.

What the heck were you thinking, Pete?

Granted, I really wanted Texas to win....but you really have to wonder what was going on in that coach's head.

Either way I really didn't care who won, but Sam Baker, Frostee Rucker, and Chris Baird all went to my highschool when I was there; so I couldn't help but root for them personally to have a good game. But to me College football isn't all that fun to watch usually, this game was an exception though. USC needed to loose so all the bandwagoner's could go find a new team to root for. I don't really care for the QB's that look for the run and pass as a resort, I'm the other way around. Vince Young is dominant, but I don't see him being that dominant if he goes pro.

Thinking back on this game, I have to totally question Pete Carroll's ability to coach.

I mean, think about it. Who is the one guy you need to stop? Vince Young. They do this one thing in the pros when you are against a very mobile QB...called "police", where you stick a LB in there and his only job is to watch and basically shadow the QB.

You can't tell me that with 19 seconds to go, 4th and 5 you don't stick someone on Young. Let him beat you with his arm....the weak spot in his game.

But no. He rumbles on untouched into the end zone.....untouched and without anyone remotely close to even make an attempt.

Granted, I really wanted Texas to win....but you really have to wonder what was going on in that coach's head.

dude i don't know if the coach can really make a difference. you know pete had his guys prepped for that. heck, this years rose bowl wasn't all that exciting when you realize it was a carbon copy of last years rose bowl. vince did the exact same thing to michigan. we had spies, we had police, it didn't matter. it's not a fluke, and it's not just one coach. teams need to approach him differently. you don't want guys rushing too fast, too far up the field. you WANT to make vince run left as much as possible. honestly, i don't even know if there's a way to stop someone like him. you need to play zone, so your DBs can watch the QB. but if vince thinks about running, you can't even commit them right away cuz he'll just lob it over their heads to the wide open guy. so tough to stop...

yup its called a QB spy, something The bears used againts the falcons. Damn usc is stupid for not keeping his eyes on VY. oh and that face mask call at the end that pretty much did it for the trogans.

well

Trojans protect from STD's but not againts Vince TD"S lol

yup its called a QB spy, something The bears used againts the falcons. Damn usc is stupid for not keeping his eyes on VY. oh and that face mask call at the end that pretty much did it for the trogans.

well

Trojans protect from STD's but not againts Vince TD"S lol

yeah but see the difference is that Vick sucks...

It's really funny to watch you TOOL compare a college QB to a NFL vet. You guys must really be desperate to justify Vick's lack of performance

Reasons?

1. Young is a taller, slower version of Vick

2. Not strong enough to break NFL tackles. Big difference between pros and college

3. Isn't as accurate as many may think. Most of his passes hit his target last night when they were standing still, wide open.

4. He isn't in the pros. Vick is.

while young's performance was outstanding.. it's hard to say how good young will be as a passer in the nfl.. vick led the ncaa's in passing efficiency too, but obviously that hasn't transfered over to the NFL.. and vick is not a failure, i expect vick to eventually be a top 5 qb, and i think it might think vince a few years but he'll be a good one too..

You need to turn the computer off and get some fresh air :p

When your best reciever is "Roddy White" your already in trouble...Without Vick the falcons are a crap team with a losing record. If he does it though the air or on the ground doesn't matter. The position of QB is simple...LEAD your team to VICTORIES. He does just that....I think they said on "The Herd" the other day his win/loss record is among the highest in the NFL...

Edited by DreAming in DigITal

consider that Pete Carroll and the USC coaching staff is excellent at what they do... i'm sure they know all about the spy and decided not to use that defense. don't forget, its these guys jobs to coach.

they still lost, though ;-).

It's really funny to watch you TOOL compare a college QB to a NFL vet. You guys must really be desperate to justify Vick's lack of performance

Reasons?

1. Young is a taller, slower version of Vick

2. Not strong enough to break NFL tackles. Big difference between pros and college

3. Isn't as accurate as many may think. Most of his passes hit his target last night when they were standing still, wide open.

4. He isn't in the pros. Vick is.

while young's performance was outstanding.. it's hard to say how good young will be as a passer in the nfl.. vick led the ncaa's in passing efficiency too, but obviously that hasn't transfered over to the NFL.. and vick is not a failure, i expect vick to eventually be a top 5 qb, and i think it might think vince a few years but he'll be a good one too..

Young's runs last night hardly showed his speed. He can be fast when he wants to be, but if you're just basing all of this off of last night's performance then you need to look harder at Vince Young before you start knocking him. He may not be muscle-bound, but I can promise you he's a strong runner and can break tackles. As far as accuracy -- yes, a lot of his passes were when people were wide-open. We'll have to see how accurate he really is, but he does have quite an arm.