February CTP Build 5308.17

It looks great!!!

Sorry to cross-post but....

0,1425,sz=1&i=120036,00.jpg

Mmmmmmm

WMP 11 is the main thing I'm looking forward too. A simpler interface and being able to share libraries is going to rock.

I hope it includes proper Nvidia widescreen drivers too. I have a GF6800GT connected to a Dell 2005FPW and i can either have squashed screen or full width but the bottom of the screen is chopped off.

^ For Vista 5270, took about 40-50 minutes. For 5308, I'll tell you once I start installation.

On the other hand:

Does the "Distribution Source" mean anything? I'm downloading from Europe I guess, but I'm in USA but the speed is 100x faster. No difference right, exept location?

anyone know how stable this build is?

It is very stable for me, although it can be sluggish at some points. This is the first build I was actually able to use due to driver problems in the previous builds.

the website is damn slow. i need to download vista and media center, if i send the invite key the website gives a error. i prefer beta.microsoft.com over connect.microsoft.com @ least it works...

i mean it should be better than 5270

oh and btw boo GA tech, actually may be transfering there in a year or so

Yeah, its way better than 5270, for me at least.

Two questions to those who actually have the build:

1. Is the "Welcome Center" top pane a real moving Aurora?

2. Is Windows Defender newer or older than the XP Beta 2?

1. It is not for me.

2. Windows Defender Version: 1.1.954.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1004.0

Spyware Signatures Version: 1.13.1276.16

Yeah, its way better than 5270, for me at least.

1. It is not for me.

2. Windows Defender Version: 1.1.954.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1004.0

Spyware Signatures Version: 1.13.1276.16

Ok, I just wanted to know if it has really been removed (at least delayed)

For WD, eew...interface is even older than december 2005...

The rest is the exact same

Thanks for the info!

Important news for vista final users fanatics: (especially the paragraph #3)

Tonight Bink.nu joined a press briefing on the just released February CTP of Windows Vista.

This CTP is "the Enterprise Edition" which means that Microsoft want testers and TAP partners to focus on the enterprise features. So a "call to action" for IT Professionals to test Vista.

Like the new deployment technologies. Currently enterprises spend a lot on developing and maintaining windows images, about 100,000 dollars per image per year! Vista deployment makes use of new Windows images: WIM files. A image format with single instance storage and the ability to make Hardware independent and language neutral images.

So with Vista deployment costs can reduce dramatically.

Another focus point is User Account Control, this is very valuable feature of Vista, (apps running in non-admin mode) but also with much impact on application compatibility.

Over 500,000 people have access to this CTP, more then ever. It is feature complete, the next CTP will be consumer focused and will be released in the next quarter. This does not mean consumer features are not finished yet, again this CTP is feature complete, The Windows team will focus now on performance, stability and fit and finish, based on feedback from the testers.

The next CTP will be the last in the "Beta 2" time frame, after that? More CTP's !