February CTP Build 5308.17

This is my logical explanation.

It is possible that swich button works like back button. When you click the swich button you can see the others users account in the screen. then when you can see all the users and you choose one, I imagine that with some fade effects the others user accounts disappear or hide and is left the one that you choose to introduce the password. (well is my imagination) :whistle:

Good explanation indeed... But if the Team thought of implementing this kind of "user switching" option, wouldn't it be easier to just click somewhere else in the screen so that would bring up the other accounts that were once hidden by the account you selected and where you wanted to log on to?

u get what im saying? all the fading effect and accounts showing stuff would've been easier by just pointing your -pointer- somewhere else in the screen, sort of like XP, but setting the opacity to 0 points instead of 200 or so how it is in XP once you focus on any other account....

;)

And still no MSDN. This is pathetic.

Yeah I know this is a disgrace, people at work are anoyed we wanted to put a Vista machine out at the front this weekend to show people. I'm going to recomend not to renew MSDN and get Partner programe instead now.

Yeah I know this is a disgrace, people at work are anoyed we wanted to put a Vista machine out at the front this weekend to show people. I'm going to recomend not to renew MSDN and get Partner programe instead now.

<mildlyfrustrated>

wouldn't bother - I am the Sys Admin at a MS Gold Partner Company with 'Uber' subscription and we still can't get hold of it either.

Been waiting patiently all day, telling colleagues not to torrent it because it'll be here soon and torrenting is bad.

have to admit...... starting to waver...

cummon MS - please hurry it along, I would really, really like to be testing this tonight.

</mildlyfrustrated>

This is a disgrace, those professionals who are paying for an MSDN subscription sit behind seemingly random selected beta users from connect.

How long can it take to host an iso file Microsoft?

The fact that the torrent community are circulating this before Microsoft and that potentially piraters can get hold of the iso before paying Microsoft customers is a disgrace.

Sort it out, Its not rocket science, I am a lover of the Microsoft product set and have been testing Vista builds since the longhorn 4xxx builds, but experiences like this really let you down, even our Microsoft Account Manager cannot sort this out for me!

Geez, what's taking them so long to put them on MSDN anyway?

According to an MSDN representative, It was uploading this morning and could take up to 24 hours to propegate through all of the servers. I hope this helps shed some light on the situation.

This is my logical explanation.

It is possible that swich button works like back button. When you click the swich button you can see the others users account in the screen. then when you can see all the users and you choose one, I imagine that with some fade effects the others user accounts disappear or hide and is left the one that you choose to introduce the password. (well is my imagination) :whistle:

Good explanation indeed... But if the Team thought of implementing this kind of "user switching" option, wouldn't it be easier to just click somewhere else in the screen so that would bring up the other accounts that were once hidden by the account you selected and where you wanted to log on to?

u get what im saying? all the fading effect and accounts showing stuff would've been easier by just pointing your -pointer- somewhere else in the screen, sort of like XP, but setting the opacity to 0 points instead of 200 or so how it is in XP once you focus on any other account....

;)

but why turn what essentially is a 1 click process into something this long ? and if its a back button then they need to label it differently :pinch:

According to an MSDN representative, It was uploading this morning and could take up to 24 hours to propegate through all of the servers. I hope this helps shed some light on the situation.
So they just NOW finally uploaded it to the MSDN server?

And geez, what is it with you people and downloading windows off BT?

So they just NOW finally uploaded it to the MSDN server?

And geez, what is it with you people and downloading windows off BT?

Yes you are correct, they just uploaded it this morning. I don't know why they waited, but hey at least we will have it. :D

Hardy Har Har. Very funny.

Maybe you could get ET to Phone Bill Gate and tell him to hurry the heck up :/. I have several people waiting on me to get this installed so I can demonstrate it!

Edit: My friend who managed to get his copy of 5308 (through BT, though he said he's going to re-install from MSDN download once it gets out) tell me about it.

DS says (12:34 PM):

runs a littlebit better... but there isnt all that much of an improvement... new logon, new boot screen

different icon set, more programs.

more programs that work on XP are compatible with vista.

That's pretty much the gist of it, course he was up all night downloading it and told me to wake him up when it comes out on MSDN ;P

Im unfortunately not a beta-tester, just very excited for the eventual release of Vista...can't get here soon enough!

Im wondering if anyone has been testing the 64-bit versions?

I never hear anyone talk about them really...

I see according to the 5308 headline that MS distributes two separate ISOs...

will the final Vista still include both versions on the same disc? Would it check hardware for 64-bit compatible processor then install the appropriate version?

I would ask if there are any inherent performance benefits in Vista-64...but its beta so I expect the opposite I suppose :)

you beta testers enjoy once you get your copies!

Yes, there are two isos: the 32 bit and the 64 bit. MS Professional had 32 bit and 64 bit (x64 and Itanium 64)

when it comes to vendors, they'll probably distribute 32 or 64 bit, depending on the computer they ship with.

In stores, it'll probably say either 32/64. I don't think it'll be two on one CD. Especially for Vista, unless it's Dual Layer DVD. the 64 bit is MASSIVE.

but why turn what essentially is a 1 click process into something this long ? and if its a back button then they need to label it differently :pinch:

It's just easier the way it is in Windows XP now... why making it all that confusing now?; for real that at times I want to be sitting right behind the Team to slap their heads whenever they start doing something like this....

To all MSDN whiners:

You are NOT official beta testers. Official beta testers get this build first as their job is to chase bugs. The beta testing aspect of MSDN is secondary to the other things you receive. It has nothing to do with money as you are not paying Microsoft to beta test their software (although I'm sure MS wouldn't mind).

My view on this build: This build is very disspointing espcially since i was even unable to install it on a few of my computers, due to the fact that vista setup was unable to collect information to be able to install it on my harddrive. Plus, it lags and delays and worse of all it even crashes at random times. Nevertheless the appearence is brillant :D

To all MSDN whiners:

You are NOT official beta testers. Official beta testers get this build first as their job is to chase bugs. The beta testing aspect of MSDN is secondary to the other things you receive. It has nothing to do with money as you are not paying Microsoft to beta test their software (although I'm sure MS wouldn't mind).

In order for it to be a job... don't you have to be paid?

The beta process is a very stupid model for microsoft. They should release it only to msdn subscribers because these people are the actual I.T. Professionals who use and have to deploy these technologies in the future.

The fact that I have to wait an extra day, in order for billy down the block to download and then upload it to his buddies on irc and bit torrent **** me off. Maybe 2% of vista beta testers are acutal I.T. Professionals currently employed in the field.

You would think that Microsoft's passport service would also be linked properly.... I am an MCP with many certs including one for Winxp. You would think in an ideal world that i would have dibs on betas because I can professional deploy their technologies and support them.

Some of their business practices are so dumb it astounds me. blah blah.. flame away.... it is the truth. There should be some special treatments for MCP, MCSE, MCSA, MVP etc.. imho

Edited by Krad