February CTP Build 5308.17

So much for this being a feature complete version if there is only a blank bootscreen with the 2006 microsoft corp text and progress bar.

Confused here. How is a boot screen a feature?

Sn4k: They didnt know what colors to choose, or something similar. They have over 10 colors (logos) to choose from. Didn't get the full message though I got from a Microsoft employee.

I'm still wondering how Microsoft is going to deal with the fact that games get much more computer intensive over time. A 5 three years ago certainly won't be a 5 today.

I'm still wondering how Microsoft is going to deal with the fact that games get much more computer intensive over time. A 5 three years ago certainly won't be a 5 today.

Wonderful thing called Windows Update.

This is really meant in reference to games and how they are going to start having a sticker that says you need a PC with a "3, 4, or 5" for smooth gameplay. The packaging can't change from year to year as that would most certainly confuse the public and cost too much.

That could cause some confusion, I think rating a computer is a flawed idea.

Example

Imagine you go to EB and buy Halo 2 for Windows Vista. The box shows Rating 1.

Three years later you discover you lost your copy of Halo 2, you pick it up at the bargan bin and the rating is still 1. But since the ratings have been updated 10 times by windows update you discover that your pc is now rated 3. So you think, this is not right, I used to be able to play this game and my pc used to be rated 1 and now it's 3.

Unless Microsoft change the rating to be "Rating 1 - Year 2006" / "Rating 3 - Year 2008"

This is really meant in reference to games and how they are going to start having a sticker that says you need a PC with a "3, 4, or 5" for smooth gameplay. The packaging can't change from year to year as that would most certainly confuse the public and cost too much.

It will confuse people, the way the rating system is now.

Example

Three years later you discover you lost your copy of Halo 2, you pick it up at the bargan bin and the rating is still 1. But since the ratings have been updated 10 times by windows update you discover that your pc is now rated 3. So you think, this is not right, I used to be able to play this game and my pc used to be rated 1 and now it's 3.

Unless Microsoft change the rating to be "Rating 1 - Year 2006" / "Rating 3 - Year 2008"

I don't think this is going to get on games them selves. I think it's meant for to say, your computer is rated a 5, so it can play the latest games. Not old games that were out 3 years ago. Rated a 3 say, You computer can run the games, but not very good. etc.

I don't think this is going to get on games them selves. I think it's meant for to say, your computer is rated a 5, so it can play the latest games. Not old games that were out 3 years ago. Rated a 3 say, You computer can run the games, but not very good. etc.

At best it is a flawed concept. Is 1 Excellent and 5 Poor or the other way around?

Example

Okay, lets see if I can clear up a little confusion. First off, the scale goes up. 1 is not the best computer. I have an Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2500, a gig of ram, an x800 pro, an audigy ls, etc, and I have a 3. That's better than any of the above listed systems which got a 1. So as you can see, the rating systems aren't going to be outdated because 1 isn't the best, it's the worst. And what does the rating system go up to? Who knows, does it have to stop? Even if it stopped at say 10, that's at least a double improvement over today's VERY VERY best computers (I'm talking brand new FX CPU and x1900 vid card), and again, there is no reason they have to stop at any certain number. The rating system will never change. Your computer's rating today will never be different in the future, so you don't have to worry about ratings being wrong in the future.

Also, I know what comes next: "WHAT?! My system is only a 1?! Does that mean I need a better computer to run Vista?"... No, it's just a rating system. They set the scale to start at what today's average computer speeds are. Better parts increase the rating. One thing I can tell you that helps boost your rating a LOT is having a 64bit CPU. Vista will be the start of the real 64bit transition. Don't worry if your computer is only a 1, lots of people's computers are only a 1.

So much for this being a feature complete version if there is only a blank bootscreen with the 2006 microsoft corp text and progress bar.

1) Where was it said that the Feb CTP is feature complete? It's near feature complete.

2) Changing the boot screen is certainly not a requirement for "feature complete." I'd expect it's actually a "fit and finish" piece, which means it could happen as late as the RCs.

well that would figure. i got 5308 installed, and my kvm took a huge **** on itself. it switches over, shows vista, times out after about five seconds and switches back to my other system. i tried rebooting both machines, changing which ports the usb is plugged in and nothing. oh well, looks like i have to get the extention cables back out again.

its a place holder young padawan.....much to learn you have.....

I wouldn't bet on that you know, more spit and polish but in guessing that the real thing (it has aurora in the background).

PS. Is that the ?real? aurora or is it static?

what I dont unnderstand...if thats a login screen, why there is a switch user button ?

first smart question on the whole thread :)

This is my logical explanation.

It is possible that swich button works like back button. When you click the swich button you can see the others users account in the screen. then when you can see all the users and you choose one, I imagine that with some fade effects the others user accounts disappear or hide and is left the one that you choose to introduce the password. (well is my imagination) :whistle:

Edited by herime

looks to me like the person did a switch user once in vista

you only get switch user if you have multiple account. There is only one account on this box in the screenshot so no Switchuser.

here is one with it available

http://windowsconnected.com/photos/windows...5/original.aspx

And here is a cool one from the boot

http://windowsconnected.com/photos/windows...6/original.aspx

More useful content like how to really log on as the administrator here

http://windowsconnected.com