The Official NDS Homebrew Thread

Quick question..

When playing roms on your ds with something like R4ds, does the game lag and sound mess up like with computer emulators(ideas)??

thanks,

Depends on the speed of the SD card.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here's an issue i have with my ds. Why can't i use WAP for my wireless, to work with the DS. It states unsupported security settings or something. I know that once (with an older router) i had to switch it to WEP protection (iirc), and that worked. But i dont think i wanna run wep on my router.

I have one of these that i'm not using do you think it would be able to play games without lag and such?

Are most MicroSD cards able to play games with out lag?

On an R4 or M3DS Simply, you're going to want to use a Kingston Japan card or a Toshiba.

I'm using a SanDisk card. It works perfectly. The R4 documentation claims you can use any card with no lag. I know this is a bit late, I only just got my R4.

Hello lads, I'm thinking of getting some homebrew kit for my DSlite since I've got the dosh to spend from Christmas now :).

Is the R4DS still #1? Just need a quick run-down on all the latest gear!

The last review I read over at gbatemp was the CycloDS which looked pretty good. I like how it doesn't auto-boot (since I use the DS as an alarm).

^ I'm happy with the R4 but it was a present so I didn't choose it or do any research.

Every time I look for an R4 online, on a site I would actually buy from, they are sold out. :pinch:

Yeah the place mine came from struggled with supplying, I consider myself lucky to have got it on time for Christmas. There were a lot of people complaining on their review areas. I think everyone who got a DS ordered an R4 as well.

I'm using a SanDisk card. It works perfectly. The R4 documentation claims you can use any card with no lag. I know this is a bit late, I only just got my R4.

Yes, for the most part any card will do. However, there are noticeable slow downs and freezing issues with certain titles when using basically any card other than Toshiba Japan (the Kingston Japan cards are re-bagged Toshiba's). If you want the absolute best performance and compatibility, you need a Japanese Kingston/Toshiba.

Every time I look for an R4 online, on a site I would actually buy from, they are sold out. :pinch:

Yeah, they can be tricky to find these days. I highly recommend realhotstuff.com. They are out of stock at the moment, but should have new R4 stock on the 3rd of January. They are based in NJ and ship very fast. Priority shipments from them get to me in 2 days.

Hello lads, I'm thinking of getting some homebrew kit for my DSlite since I've got the dosh to spend from Christmas now :).

Is the R4DS still #1? Just need a quick run-down on all the latest gear!

The last review I read over at gbatemp was the CycloDS which looked pretty good. I like how it doesn't auto-boot (since I use the DS as an alarm).

No, I don't think the R4 is number 1 anymore. The CycloDS is a solid card, provided you get one that isn't DOA or dead in a week. There are other notable cards out now too. The TTDS is looking solid. The Acekard R.P.G. is a open source cart that will surely get better when they open their purse a little wider and get kit in devs hands. In my opinion, the best cart out right now is the M3DS Real.

I looked at that shopped you linked StevoFC. Is it not possible to buy the cart on its own without these GBA slot packs?

Also, $40 for an R4DS? Is that pre-tax? I'd have to pay international shipping after that as well, not to mention getting a Mirco SD card... :no: then again it'd be handy to use with moving college work around instead of e-mailing it. Is there a UK/Europe based shop for this stuff?

How much space do NDS ROMs take up btw? I think I'd need at least 2GB for this.

How much space do NDS ROMs take up btw? I think I'd need at least 2GB for this.

about 30-50mb.

I currently have 11 games on my 1gb card, with the smallest one at 4.44mb and the bigest one at 122.73mb. 11 games are using 503mb on my card, so that's an average of 45.7mb a game (save files are all 512kb)

So 2gb is alot IMO, unless you intended to put videos/lots of music on it

ok, here's an issue i have with my ds. Why can't i use WAP for my wireless, to work with the DS. It states unsupported security settings or something. I know that once (with an older router) i had to switch it to WEP protection (iirc), and that worked. But i dont think i wanna run wep on my router.

NDS hardware does not suport WAP encryption, only WEP....I know... it's really anoyting...

in my case, I have 2 wireless AP's (one stand-alone and one built into the router). When ever I want to use my DS online, I plug in the WEP-configured one and simply unplug it when I'm not using it. Not the best solution, but it works for me since I already had the extra hardware

about 30-50mb.

I currently have 11 games on my 1gb card, with the smallest one at 4.44mb and the bigest one at 122.73mb. 11 games are using 503mb on my card, so that's an average of 45.7mb a game (save files are all 512kb)

So 2gb is alot IMO, unless you intended to put videos/lots of music on it

Well, I'd be using the Micro SD card for data for college and stuff. I'd probably have some music on there that I couldn't fit on my 1GB mp3 player. Plus I've got @100MB of snes ROMs to plonk on there. I could put videos from youtube/stage6 on I guess.

I wonder what the price difference between 1GB and 2GB is...

edit: Oh wow, I can get a 2GB sandisk model from Amazon for about ?6.00. That's pretty good:yes::.

• 3 weeks later...

The Top Toy DS is definitely an above average cart.

The best current slot-1 solutions IMO are...

Cream of the Crop:

• M3 DS Real
  • Top Toy DS
  • Cyclo DS Evo
  • G6 DS Real (basically the same as the M3 DS Real except it uses internal nand flash instead of external transflash memory)

Average

• R4DS/M3DS Simply
  • Acekard R.P.G. (would be above average if it had more active devs)
  • SuperCard DS One (the SDHC version anyway)

Scum at the Bottom of a Deep Fryer

• DS-Xtreme
  • The rest of the cheap n-card and various clones

If I were to buy a new cart right now, I would probably go with the M3 DS Real. The DSTT would be my second choice.

I currently have an R4, and everything is running fine. Also, it is pretty cheap if you search at the right place.

Got mine for 60$ with a 2GB Sandisk MicroSD card

WPA is unsupported on the Nintendo DS because it doesn't have the CPU power to handle such encryption. You will have to use WEP.

Hey, I'm considering getting a DS Lite and getting into homebrew etc. I want to play music, pictures and video and run homebrew applications (possibly internet access or MSN? I heard there's a MSN app that supports handwriting). After some research I realised that most homebrew solutions want a microSD card, which aren't as expensive as I originally thought.

Would something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DS-ONE-Supercard-for...1QQcmdZViewItem

be what I want? :unsure: I just don't get where the memory card goes, because isn't a DS catridge too slim to fit one in? :laugh:

I'd also like to know about ease of use. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I read the original post and didn't really understand it, so sorry for the already-answered questions, I'd just like some simpler answers :p

Hey, I'm considering getting a DS Lite and getting into homebrew etc. I want to play music, pictures and video and run homebrew applications (possibly internet access or MSN? I heard there's a MSN app that supports handwriting). After some research I realised that most homebrew solutions want a microSD card, which aren't as expensive as I originally thought.

Would something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DS-ONE-Supercard-for...1QQcmdZViewItem

be what I want? :unsure: I just don't get where the memory card goes, because isn't a DS catridge too slim to fit one in? :laugh:

I'd also like to know about ease of use. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I read the original post and didn't really understand it, so sorry for the already-answered questions, I'd just like some simpler answers :p

Well...Getting into homebrew is very very easy.

I got the R4DS, but I havent really kept up with the newer cards, so I cant tell you which is best at the moment...

Anyway, the microsd does fit into the card. It slots in at the top. ;)

So all you need is the mod card, and the microsd.

Trust me, you shouldnt even be "considering" a ds. You should be getting one...

I have a Ninjapass x9 and DS linux. My desktop is running Ubuntu and Vista. My aim is to stream/share files with my PC or use my DS as a terminal, anyone got any ideas as to how i can go about this? Ive read a few articles but none seem very clear to me.

Much appreciated.

What's better, the official DS browser or a homebrew one?

I also heard that if you want images in a homebrew browser you need the memory expansion, but so far I can only find it as part of the DS browser. Isn't there anywhere that sells it on it's own?

• 3 months later...