• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The Official NDS Homebrew Thread

The Gunslinger    9

WOOOHHHHHOOOO

I got my R4 DS two hours ago...And all I can say is Thanks to the guys that recommended it... ;)

Only had a chance to check out my backups...But so far so good...

Can wait to try out some homebrew stuff... :cool:

morficus    0

So I got my DS lite along with my R4DS and a 1gb microSD. I must admit... I'm loving the R4DS

it's fast, supports soft reset in games, supports sleep mode (when you close the lid in the middle of the game).

But now I'm afraid to download homebrew apps 'cause of the bricking virus for the DS :(

Does anyone have any suggestions to make sure I avoid this like the plague?

Any good anti-virus that detects it?

The Gunslinger    9
So I got my DS lite along with my R4DS and a 1gb microSD. I must admit... I'm loving the R4DS

it's fast, supports soft reset in games, supports sleep mode (when you close the lid in the middle of the game).

But now I'm afraid to download homebrew apps 'cause of the bricking virus for the DS :(

Does anyone have any suggestions to make sure I avoid this like the plague?

Any good anti-virus that detects it?

If you get your homebrew from the sources listed on the 1st page, I'm pretty sure you wont have any problems...just stick to the reputable sources...I got my homebrew stuff from those links, and no problems so far, ok I lie, I cant get some of them to work... Edit: But I havent bricked my DS...

Have to go through the DLDI tutorial again :blush:

bfoos    1

No amount of DLDI patching will help apps work if they haven't been coded with DLDI support in mind. DLDI is fairly new on the scene and lots of homebrew just isn't written for anything other than the old slot-2 methods. Give it time and authors still developing their apps should add DLDI in due time.

As far as the virus goes, I wouldn't worry about it. Just stick to reputable sources and read comments before installing anything. You could also flashme your DSL if you're that worried about it.

The Gunslinger    9
No amount of DLDI patching will help apps work if they haven't been coded with DLDI support in mind. DLDI is fairly new on the scene and lots of homebrew just isn't written for anything other than the old slot-2 methods. Give it time and authors still developing their apps should add DLDI in due time.

As far as the virus goes, I wouldn't worry about it. Just stick to reputable sources and read comments before installing anything. You could also flashme your DSL if you're that worried about it.

Oh ok...

Yeah, the DSorganize I got just freezes after searching for the supercard and m3 settings...

Btw, can you play over wifi using backups?

Oh, and what is the minimum internet connection that you will require to play smoothly online...?

Edit: Thanks in advance

Danrarbc    1

I used to play DS online with 56k and usually it was fine (though the voice chat in Metroid didn't work, and Metroid is what displayed lag if any game did)

MadFerIt    0
Oh ok...

Yeah, the DSorganize I got just freezes after searching for the supercard and m3 settings...

Btw, can you play over wifi using backups?

Oh, and what is the minimum internet connection that you will require to play smoothly online...?

Edit: Thanks in advance

With the M3 DS Simply pretty much any game will work with Wifi, with no real issues. However, download play seems to have issues with certain games.

As for the internet connection.. I honestly can't tell you. I have a 10mbps download/684kbps upload connection and it's usually smooth.. But it depends on the game, plus where the individuals you're playing live (and trust me, considering how massive the DS is in Japan, you will get matched up with them often lol).

EchoNoise    1

Hey peoples,

I'm going to buy one of these for my GBASP:

http://www.bamboogaming.com/flash-cards/su...ion/prod_3.html

It says it supports up to 1GB SD card, if I bought a 4GB SD card, will it work.

Sometimes the description is out of date, and I know my PDA says supports up to 512MB SD card, and I have a 1GB in there and works fines.

So yeah, what do you think?

EchoNoise    1

Nobody? lol

Captain_Wang    0

A 4GB would probably not work, a 2GB maybe.

The Gunslinger    9
I used to play DS online with 56k and usually it was fine (though the voice chat in Metroid didn't work, and Metroid is what displayed lag if any game did)

Kewl...will have to try it out somewhere...

Problem is I cant afford an internet connection like ADSL or higher, because here in South Africa, our state owned monopoly phone company, Telkom, is bleeding us dry...Telkom - Wikipedia I mean most of the lines are capped :angry:

Ok, gonna get an aneurism if i continue...

With the M3 DS Simply pretty much any game will work with Wifi, with no real issues. However, download play seems to have issues with certain games.

As for the internet connection.. I honestly can't tell you. I have a 10mbps download/684kbps upload connection and it's usually smooth.. But it depends on the game, plus where the individuals you're playing live (and trust me, considering how massive the DS is in Japan, you will get matched up with them often lol).

lol...yeah, dont wanna face a Japanese guy in any game right now, still getting used to mario kart...Love that game.

SimplySchizo    130

Just in! vvo0o0t! :woot:

post-10973-1172518301.jpg

MadFerIt    0
Just in! vvo0o0t! :woot:

Looks like they changed the packaging on the M3 Simply. Mine is very different.

And congrats on the M3 Lite too. I'm assuming that allows you to play GBA material.

SimplySchizo    130
Looks like they changed the packaging on the M3 Simply. Mine is very different.

Yea, they seem to no longer be including the White casing. Lucky for me, i got the black DS.

The Lite on the other hand, came with 5 Cases. White, pink, navy, black, light green i think it is.

mogge    0

alright, i read a few of the pages, but i'm still not 100% sure.

Anywho, i got a ndsl for my bday from my girlfriend, but basically i want to get a m3simply, would that be everything i need to play homebrew & backups? also if i wanted to play gba would i need only need the m3lite?

thanks in advance.

The Gunslinger    9
alright, i read a few of the pages, but i'm still not 100% sure.

Anywho, i got a ndsl for my bday from my girlfriend, but basically i want to get a m3simply, would that be everything i need to play homebrew & backups? also if i wanted to play gba would i need only need the m3lite?

thanks in advance.

If you get the M3Simply or the R4DS (like mine :D ), then all you would need is the micro sd memory to run your homebrew / backups...

If you have the M3Simply, it would act as a passme device, then you would only need the gba flashcart like the m3lite...But if you dont have the M3simply, then you would need to buy a passme device to boot the m3lite...

So if you want to get the M3simply AND want to play gba backups then you would need-:

M3simply (DS backups and as a passme for the gba slot)

M3Lite (Gba backups)

2 micro sd cards, one for the Simply and one for the lite...

Hope this was helpful... ;)

mogge    0

thanks gunslinger, your message was alot clearer. :)

does your r4ds play roms? :o (i read somewhere that m3simp does :>)

Edited by mogge

bfoos    1

R4DS and M3Simply are the same exact device. They are both manufactured at the same factory and they both play roms.

crazy@5$    0

Does anyone know of any homebrew apps for slot 1 cards to extract or change save data on a GBA game in slot 2? Is it even possible?

The Gunslinger    9

Ok guys...The text reader in Moonshell ****es me off...!!!...Its too small, and only displays on one screen.

What I want to know is, am I just being an idiot, and there is a way in moonshell to dislay the text on both screens and a lot larger? OR is there another app I can get where the text can be displayed better?

What would be IDEAL is for an app to display the text in the same way as the "Reading Aloud" exercise in Dr Kawashima's Brain Training...

Thanks guys...

MadFerIt    0
Does anyone know of any homebrew apps for slot 1 cards to extract or change save data on a GBA game in slot 2? Is it even possible?

I don't think anyone has accomplished that sorry. I could be wrong, but the Slot-1 to Slot-2 communication seems to be very limited, even within games with support.

There seems to be some big bandwidth problem with the GBA slot that causes problems with Slot-1. That's why if you only have a slot-1 card solution, it can't play any gba content (homebrew or otherwise). I wish it wasn't the case lol.

The Teej    203

Congratulations on getting this stickied, guys :)

sundayx    127

Alpha version of the Okiwi browser is out. This marks a great moment in NDS history.

The Gunslinger    9
Congratulations on getting this stickied, guys :)

Lol...It finally happened... :cool:

Captain_Wang    0
Alpha version of the Okiwi browser is out. This marks a great moment in NDS history.

It's more of a preview though isn't it, no browsing yet.