• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The Official NDS Homebrew Thread

MadFerIt    0
There is no difference between the R4DS and the M3 Simply. It's the exact same hardware, short of a few bridged jumpers (pun intended). The newer revisions don't have the jumper to switch between R4 and M3, but it's still the same hardware. R4 is the manufacturer of both devices and they release firmware updates first, followed by M3 a day or two later.

As far as micro sd cards goes, Kingston/Toshiba SD-C01G Japan cards are the best.

I have to agree. Kingston MicroSD cards from Japan (I haven't tried Toshiba) are the best I've ever used.

I was having constant issues in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (freezing), and also Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (graphic flickering/issues) with an 80X ATP MicroSD card, and a Kingsmax MicroSD (which has won bloody awards).

But once I started using that Kingston card those problems are gone. Even the intro video of Dawn of Sorrow runs perfectly. It's definitely the best card for the DS Lite.

(I'm using the M3 DS Simply btw).

SimplySchizo    130

Funny, I been thinking about getting a DS Lite and grabbing a flash cart online.

So what would be the best cart out atm, regardless of price?

Any opinions on the G6 Lite ?

MadFerIt    0
Funny, I been thinking about getting a DS Lite and grabbing a flash cart online.

So what would be the best cart out atm, regardless of price?

Any opinions on the G6 Lite ?

Well if you don't need GBA support, the best is the R4 or M3 DS Simply (both the same hardware). I can't state my opinion on the G6 Lite since I've never used it, but the M3 DS Simply is definitely a great cart solution.

Also the M3 DS Simply acts as a Passcard, so if you decide in the future to purchase a cart for the GBA slot you can use the M3 to boot it.

If you're worried about cost.. The G6 Lite + a Passcard will run you about $100 USD. The M3 DS Simply is around $45 (that's without a MicroSD card however), but if you purchase a cheap MicroSD card it will cost you far less then the G6. Plus the G6 is 4Gigabit (which is only 512mb), so a 1GB MicroSD card will offer more space.

SimplySchizo    130

Thanks for the quick reply.

But yea, I would like to be able to retain support for both nds, and gba software.

So for this I would have to go with an M3 + Passcard, correct? (ohh and purchase a seperate MicroSD card for better space)

MadFerIt    0
Thanks for the quick reply.

But yea, I would like to be able to retain support for both nds, and gba software.

So for this I would have to go with an M3 + Passcard, correct? (ohh and purchase a seperate MicroSD card for better space)

The M3 is an all-in-one device. No passcard necessary. But I think you actually meant the G6 Lite (since that is the solution which gives you GBA support) + a passcard. You need both for the G6 solution.

SimplySchizo    130

Is it possible to get both an R4 DS, and an M3 Lite and have them work together ? Compatibility issue ?

Also, wouldn't this mean an ish load of more capacity ? 2Gig SD in each = 4Gig ?

Reason I ask is because im leaning more toward the R4 but would like to be able to still play my gba roms.

MadFerIt    0
Is it possible to get both an R4 DS, and an M3 Lite and have them work together ? Compatibility issue ?

Also, wouldn't this mean an ish load of more capacity ? 2Gig SD in each = 4Gig ?

Reason I ask is because im leaning more toward the R4 but would like to be able to still play my gba roms.

Well the R4 is the same hardware and uses the same O.S. as the M3 DS Simply, and it gives you the option when you boot with it to load a slot-2 device (which means a device such as the G6 lite).

And yes they would work together. The only thing the R4 does with slot-2 is act as a Passcard to boot into the G6 Lite. Once you've booted into your G6 you can use it as you wish.

But you will be paying quite a bit. You have to buy an R4 + MicroSD card, and also the G6 Lite. Granted you would have quite a bit of space. You can get MicroSD cards anywhere from 128mb to 2gb (there's supposed to be 4gb out soon too), and the G6 will give you 512mb.

If I had that setup I'd only stick the GBA roms + Homebrew on the G6 Lite (the Slot-1 carts like the R4 or M3 DS simply don't have very good homebrew support since most homebrew applications haven't been rewritten for them yet), and of course leave the NDS for strictly the R4.

Btw the G6 only has built-in memory. You can't use any memory cards with it. If you want a Slot-2 device (for GBA) that uses MicroSD you should grab the Supercard Lite, it's similar but uses MicroSD instead of built-in memory.

Edited by MadFerIt2006

Ji@nBing    53

I would suggest waiting for more information on the M3 Real. Rumor has it that it will be a slot-1/slot-2 combo solution, with a cart going in both slot-1 and slot-2, allowing you to run GBA from slot-2. This is just a rumor so far though. More info should be available soon.

MadFerIt    0
I would suggest waiting for more information on the M3 Real. Rumor has it that it will be a slot-1/slot-2 combo solution, with a cart going in both slot-1 and slot-2, allowing you to run GBA from slot-2. This is just a rumor so far though. More info should be available soon.

If that's true hopefully it will be backwards compatible with the M3 DS Simply. And hopefully it's cheap.. The slot-2 solutions tend to be very pricey. You would think the all-in-one slot-1 solutions would be more expensive then the old passcard + slot-2 cart solution.. Although the GBA support with slot-2 devices is impressive. I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap gba solution for slot-2 (that doesn't stick out of the system) alongside of my current M3 Simply.

Harreh    9

Does anyone know of a DS homebrew internet browser with the flash plugin?

Captain_Wang    0

There isn't one, I don't think even the official supports flash (at least not Youtube etc). The DSLinux project may make some headway soon or wait for the Gnirfleo and Okiwi browsers, but I doubt the first releases will support flash at all.

Harreh    9

Ah, shame.

If I can play this game on the DS. I am so getting DS homebrew.

Captain_Wang    0

Reminds me of Band Brothers a little, good flash game though, probably would be fairly easy for someone to make a standalone homebrew version.

Menge    33

omg the band brothers game is SO COOL :)

been playing it a lot lately. i'm on the fourth level. it's frickin difficult by then :|

guitar hero for the DS :)

Harreh    9

How on Earth is that game anything like SpinItUp! ? :s

Captain_Wang    0

I didn't say it was, I said it reminded me of it when I saw it.

You might want to go ask around at GBA-Dev to see if anyone would be interested in creating a homebrew version, some people might be looking for inspiration or a new project to work on.

Harreh    9
I didn't say it was, I said it reminded me of it when I saw it.

You might want to go ask around at GBA-Dev to see if anyone would be interested in creating a homebrew version, some people might be looking for inspiration or a new project to work on.

Thanks, I'll make a post. I doubt anything could happen of it because access to the spin files has been 403'd and getting hold of the music and legally is another issue.

The Gunslinger    9

I finally ordered my R4 Ds...should be around in the next few days... :jump:

Ok...A question on the R4... Will the R4 act as a passcard even if it doesnt have a micro sd card inserted...???...

I was thinking that if it did, all I would need is either a 2 gig or 4 gig micro sd card that I could swap between the slot 1 and slot 2 device. :unsure:

Anyway, could someone please recommend a cheap slot 2 flash cart...

Thanks in advance...

bfoos    1
I finally ordered my R4 Ds...should be around in the next few days... :jump:

Ok...A question on the R4... Will the R4 act as a passcard even if it doesnt have a micro sd card inserted...???...

I was thinking that if it did, all I would need is either a 2 gig or 4 gig micro sd card that I could swap between the slot 1 and slot 2 device. :unsure:

Anyway, could someone please recommend a cheap slot 2 flash cart...

Thanks in advance...

It won't boot without the micro sd card in, but after it loads up you can take the card out and passme, or you could just passme and then take the card out. Or you can flashme the ds. I know most people don't recommend flashme, but I use it along with my R4 for download play and to get rid of the health and safety screen.

As far as a cheap slot 2 goes, I'd say the ez4 would be what you are looking for.

EchoNoise    1

Hi guys,

What are your opinions on a Ninjapass X9TF... before I order one that is.

bfoos    1
Hi guys,

What are your opinions on a Ninjapass X9TF... before I order one that is.

Junk. Get a R4DS or M3 Simply. Also, superkey isn't a slot 1 solution, it's a passme device for booting a slot 2 cart. I haven't heard anything good about bamboogaming either. Seems a lot of their orders get "lost" in the mail.

Use GBAtemps slot 1 comparison tool to decide which is best.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?dynamic=39

EchoNoise    1

I haven't had any trouble with bamboogaming :) but how come the x9tf is junk? whats your reasons?

bfoos    1

It has trouble with some games, there is virtually no homebrew support, no DLDI support, no multimedia features, it doesn't automatically create save files, you have to do it yourself, etc.

GBAtemp gave it a 5.5/10 compared to R4DS 9/10.