Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta

Yup, got an invite as well. I think it's pretty cool and I might get used to using it (was not a fan of Outlook Express). One thing I would like to see is an ability to minimize to tray, because I find the fact that it logs in every time it opens a little annoying...

Can someone who already installed it tell me if I installed it and set my primary email accout... will it delete my emails after Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta retrieves them from my web based Hotmail? I don't want it to erase my emails and that's why I want to be sure.

I can confirm that it will not delete the emails from your web based email account (so far anyway). As far as I can tell, it just acts like a front end to the hotmail service, rather than downloading the emails (though you have the option to do so, I believe).

I can confirm that it will not delete the emails from your web based email account (so far anyway). As far as I can tell, it just acts like a front end to the hotmail service, rather than downloading the emails (though you have the option to do so, I believe).

Thank you very much Xtreme $niper!!

C?sar:))

I got mine too. Yeeehaw.

The only thing I don't like is the stupid ads on the right side. That's so retarded. If they think that I'll use it with that crap on it they are silly. ;)

The GUI looks nice but the ad takes up too much space. There should be NO ad if it is replacing Outlook Express. Why would anyone use this instead of Thunderbird or Outlook Express?

wlmdb1ce.png

same problem here :(

its worth tryin to extract the installer to a folder and than run the msi setup package from there, i got a wierd message just before it finished installing but i did the above thing and it worked, worth giving it a try mates ;)

its worth tryin to extract the installer to a folder and than run the msi setup package from there, i got a wierd message just before it finished installing but i did the above thing and it worked, worth giving it a try mates ;)

No go unfortunately. Opened it up to the .msi package and tried an install and a repair. Neither works, on one prompt it tells me to ensure I have disk space, (of which I've got about 17gb free) and the second prompt complains about the same dll. The dll is there in the install directory. I have no idea what might be causing it to complain.

For everyone else who has the error, do you run outlook 2007? Had previous WLMD betas installed and uninstalled?

didn't work extracting the installer and running the msi :(

I'll just wait for the next version

how about you search on google for the missing dll's...just a thought :whistle:

For everyone else who has the error, do you run outlook 2007? Had previous WLMD betas installed and uninstalled?

Yes, I use outlook 2007 and had a previous WLMD build but unistalled it before trying to install the new one. I extracted the .msi and it gave me no problems.

btw where can I give feedback or access a newsgroup? There is no WLMD entry in feedback.live.com

wow, my invitation hasnt arrived yet. perhaps because im outside of US. are we able to invite someone like in WLMessenger ?

Use the address the invitation was sent to on the opening login. Once it's open you can add your other accounts. If it opens that is.

Ok i just tryed to log in with my e-mail and password and i still get it

wow, my invitation hasnt arrived yet. perhaps because im outside of US. are we able to invite someone like in WLMessenger ?

I'm seeing "Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta You have 0 invitations remaining" on ideas.live.com. I'm also outside the US, here in .ca. Not sure how accurate those invitiation reminders are however. I've never gotten an invite on the live mail, and got 5 new live messenger invites the day after it left beta :p

only way i could change it that i found,, was through Messenger

Do you have to use Windows Live Messenger to chance your avatar, or is there an easier way?

got mine for one of my accounts, now i just need to get in with my @live account.

it's actually not half bad, i like having the quick access to my 2 hotmail (WLM) accounts.

Posting the link is useless unless you get into the beta as it won't let you access your account anyways.

Got my invite today, clicked "Join" and downloaded the installer (Install_WLMail.exe @ V8.0.0774 @ 10,642,752B) but it won't install properly:

Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta setup has failed with error code '1603'. Please download the latest version of Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta from http://ideas.live.com/

Any clues? :( FYI, am also using Windows Live Messenger, Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 and Windows Media Player 11 Beta (if that matters)

Edited by DaViD_BRaNDoN