Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta

I stopped using WLMD (after 3 - 4 hours of testing) and went back to Outlook Express. I think it's too buggy expecially with synchronization with my Hotmail and slow start-up. Also, why would it has to have an almost 200MB mail database?

I've got the invite and I'm using it right now. It's running quite all right at the moment but I might try and see what else it has to offer. I am however too busy at the moment to take the time to play around with it.

PSG22™

I don't get it! Why are you guys so excited about a product which delivers ads to your desktop?I would consider this program as spyware...

There are so many free e-mail providers out there with pop access so you can use every mail proggie you want and without annoying ads. This is really stupid. :yes:

sad how microsoft gets very little from advertising coz most the time they are advertising there own products and services in it which i really dont get ... how does that reoccur into them being able to provice it free :s .... are they slaved into labour making it and only get their pay cheques from people who click them O.o .... how lame...

mmm when i can be bothered to get round to it im gonna try remove it... maybe a mess patch thing for it will come round eventually ;)

It's not like they aren't rich enough. Ah well, it will just make more people hack the programs to remove the ads :D

That isn't really nice now, is it :shifty: :whistle: ?

PSG22™

I don't get it! Why are you guys so excited about a product which delivers ads to your desktop?I would consider this program as spyware...

There are so many free e-mail providers out there with pop access so you can use every mail proggie you want and without annoying ads. This is really stupid. :yes:

If you really think that it is spyware then...wow.

I find it to be quite nice and it has potential to be great...

The only reason I would see myself using this is because it synchronizes my free hotmail account, without having to pay for Hotmail Plus or whatever it is called so that I can use Outlook 2003. :)

Obviously you do not know what spyware is. :pinch:

I stopped using WLMD (after 3 - 4 hours of testing) and went back to Outlook Express. I think it's too buggy expecially with synchronization with my Hotmail and slow start-up. Also, why would it has to have an almost 200MB mail database?

I uninstalled it,then later found the folder taking up a hell of a lot of space,why on earth that cant be deleted when you uninstall(or at least given the option to) is beyond me,thanks to whoever posted the address for finding that folder.

Oh really? :blink:

Lets take a look at the definition of spyware -

In the field of computing, the term spyware refers to a broad category of malicious software designed to intercept or take partial control of a computer's operation without the informed consent of that machine's owner or legitimate user.

Windows Live Mail Desktop is malicious software that takes control of your computer without your consent? :unsure:

TBH, I actually didn't even notice the ad until I came to this forum, after trying the program out, and had it pointed out to me. And even now still when I go on it, I don't notice it at all. I think it has something to do with the fact that everything you use is on one side, and the ad is on the other, so I can completely ignore it and just look at my email.

-Spenser

As must as I hate to say it, we're going to have to deal with ads being in programs, and just about everything else on the web. Because it's not going away anytime soon, if ever.

While I do understand what you are saying, I just can't accept ads in everything.

Thunderbird doesn't have ads. Opera got rid of ads and made their browser totally free because using ads as a reason to purchase the full version wasn't a good idea. I also use various other free programs that don't have ads.

At least on the live mail website I have a choice in weather or not I want to see the ads. I use firefox and block all of the ads. Microsoft is making enough money and shouldn't need to invade your desktop with ad banners.

I think that really soon I will just stop using the mail portion of Microsoft. I have yahoo (mail beta) which is a lot nicer than live mail and I have gmail. Enough said.

If everyone didn't accept the ads, they wouldn't be there.

well duh! how much email is stored with your hotmail account...if you have 200mbs of mail over there..then expect your sync'd database to be large also.

well duh! how much email is stored with your hotmail account...if you have 200mbs of mail over there..then expect your sync'd database to be large also.

Well duh! I do not store my emails on the Hotmail servers (Windows Live Mail Beta, by the way). All emails are downloaded (moved) to my notebook. Nothing, nada, zilch on the server end.

Well duh (again)! Didn't you read that I have issues with synchronizing with Hotmail server while using WLMD Beta? Nothing got sync! All those almost 200MB worth of data were mail database converted directly from Outlook Express on first run of WLMD Beta. FYI, on the Outlook Express, the same database is only a meagre 20MB+.

And duh! Haven't you heard of WLMD Beta has 3-tier database? 1 running and 2 backups? Hence, the size of the gigantic (and a waste of) storage. Go to Channel9 for more info and video on WLMD Beta.

Don't get me wrong, I do like certain features of WLMD Beta - the GUI especially and simplistic/streamline menu. Just that it's kinda buggy now and off I go - back to using Outlook Express for the time being. Will be trying out WLMD Beta again on their next released.

Just hate the fact that 'certain' people blasted at someone else for something that they think they know a great deal of. 20 buck says 90% of people posting in this thread know much more that that 'someone'.

I rest my case :whistle:

yeah i just got it but the Join now button doesnt work

might be becauz of vista, thats y for me, gotta a friend 2 click it for me on there computer nd it worked!

That's only signing up to recieve updates, not signing up for the BETA.

Well that's the only place that I signed up for WLMD, and I recieved the invitation from Microsoft. So umm..

Hey. Where do we file bug reports? The Feedback link just takes me to a bunch of Windows Live Services WITHOUT Windows Live Mail Desktop. Soo?