Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta

Got my invite today, clicked "Join" and downloaded the installer (Install_WLMail.exe @ V8.0.0774 @ 10,642,752B) but it won't install properly:

Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta setup has failed with error code '1603'. Please download the latest version of Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta from http://ideas.live.com/

Any clues? :( FYI, am also using Windows Live Messenger, Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 and Windows Media Player 11 Beta (if that matters)

That's exacly the same message as i got, so all i did is extracted the installer to a folder and run the msi setup from there and problem solved for me, i hope it works for u too mate ;)

I'm in and I had no trouble with the installer. Any word on an add Hack for that narsty side-oh-screen add that it throws up? I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesnt like it.

What do you know, Microsoft can still make an appealing UI. Now if only some of that magic could be used elsewhere... *cough* Vista *cough*. ;)

That's exacly the same message as i got, so all i did is extracted the installer to a folder and run the msi setup from there and problem solved for me, i hope it works for u too mate ;)

Sweeeeet! I extracted the installer (3 files) and run the MSI package and it installed properly! Thanks for the tip! :D

I got one too but when i tried to install it, it said something about an error and told me to download the latest version from the site :huh:

Got mine earlier today, installed it and then uninstalled it. :D

Why the hell is Microsoft reinventing the wheel? Why dont they just work on Outlook Express and allow users to conntect using either Outlook Express or Outlook. Like how it was before. :angry:

Sweeeeet! I extracted the installer (3 files) and run the MSI package and it installed properly! Thanks for the tip! :D

I rejoiced too soon. Now it says something about msmail.dll cannot be initialized... Help? :cry:

Long story short, after lots of trial-and-errors, I managed to install Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta using Install_WLMail.exe (not the extracted files) and got in working (so far - initial run). Here are my problem and solutions:

- error 1603: Make sure the "Automatic Update" service is set to "Automatic" and is running.

- msmail.dll: Reboot system after successful installation and go to Windows Update site (using browser) and manually (custom) scan for any new updates. No Updates were found (for my system anyway). Exit browser and start Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta :D

Remember to uninstall any previous installation (and reboot) before proceeding with the above steps :D

Got mine. Installed without a problem :) UI looks alright, they ruin it with the Ad though.

For some reason it wont let me sign in?it says

Before you can you Windows Live Mail Desktop you must sign up?

If you have already signed up try to sign in later

How do i get to sign in?>

For some reason it wont let me sign in?it says

Before you can you Windows Live Mail Desktop you must sign up?

If you have already signed up try to sign in later

How do i get to sign in?>

I'm getting an error like that. It keeps saying my username/password is incorrect. I am just guessing that their connection to the passport servers is boken or something.

All you lucky people :( I really wanted to join the BETA :(

Can you access your @hotmail.com & @live.com accounts on it? Without signing up for that MSN Outlook Live crap?

All you lucky people :( I really wanted to join the BETA :(

Can you access your @hotmail.com & @live.com accounts on it? Without signing up for that MSN Outlook Live crap?

can u only use hotmail with it? does it offer anything like imap / pop3 ??

Been part of it from the beginning and I have to say this last build is the only one worth actually using. Yes you can your use hotmail/live/windowslive accounts on it. I am using both my hotmail and my live mail on it and they work fine.

You can use any mail account on it that supports pop3/imap/http protocols. So yahoo/gmail/hotmail/live mail all work on as well as you isp and work mail.

Been part of it from the beginning and I have to say this last build is the only one worth actually using. Yes you can your use hotmail/live/windowslive accounts on it. I am using both my hotmail and my live mail on it and they work fine.

You can use any mail account on it that supports pop3/imap/http protocols. So yahoo/gmail/hotmail/live mail all work on as well as you isp and work mail.

Oh right thanks mate. This would be absolutely perfect for me to use to manage my 2 MSN email addresses and 2 Gmail ones :( Oh well I've applied to "Get Updates" on the ideas.live.com page and just keep my fingers crossed. :)

Got in also :)

Looks great though the ad is annoying as is the fact that you can't minimize it to the tray.

Turn on the active search pane instead....it's a text ad search with live search thing. Much easier to look at.

Got the invitation today. Some features not work in Vista... don't know why .. :shiftyninja: . Pretty good for this application as highly integrated into other Live application. Good job live team.