Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta

Did you get an invite saying you can actually use it? Or did you just download it from somewhere and tried to login?

Did you get an invite saying you can actually use it? Or did you just download it from somewhere and tried to login?

I got the actual email, the subject of which is 'Exclusive preview for Outlook users' or words to those effect.

It has a nice orange 'Join' button and the Accept/Decline agreement which follows signifies to me that I AM in the beta. Strengthen this with the fact that ideas.live.com says I'm a member of it under 'You are a member of the following invitation-only betas'

So what the hell is going on?

I BEG someone to help me with this.

you can stop it doing it in windows live mail somewhere it will just show your inbox but wont open any message.

does this actually DOWNLOAD the messages and then save them on your computer. or does it just download them from the internet each time?

Downloads and chaches them :)

Chris

Alrighty, so I've been gettings tons of PMs about removing the ads on WLMD using reshack. Now mods, I'm pretty new around here, and if this is in any way, shape, or form against the forum rules, please feel free to delete the post, as I do not want to be a rule breaker around here... but here goes.

INSTRUCTIONS ON RESHACKING WLMD ADS

**NOTE: Backup your mailres2.dll file before even OPENING resource hacker. I take no responsibility for your lack of following rules, and skipping this step. Removing the wrong code could stop your application from working at all, and you may have to re-install (quite a pain). So simply back up the file, and you will not have this issue.

1. Open up mailres2.dll within your windows live mail desktop folder.

2. Navigate to section 4004 -> 3000

3. Scroll down to line 116

4. Remove

<Element ResID=AdsDisplayAds Layout=VerticalFlowLayout(0,0,1,0) Class="AdService" Padding=Rect(10,0,0,0)>
<Element LayoutPos=Top Enabled=False Foreground=GrayText Padding=Rect(0,3,0,3) ContentAlign=MiddleRight ID=Atom(ai130)/>
<FlushHTML ID=atom(AdsRAD) Width=160 Height=600 Visible=False/>
<FlushHTML ID=atom(AdsTracking) LayoutPos=none/>
</Element>

(lines 116 to 120)

5. Compile and save.

6. Dance monkey, for you have no more ads.

Hope this helps all you people dying to have an ad-free beta application. And mods, again, I hope this is not breaking any rules whatsoever.

Good luck!

Can someone tell me how to get my Gmail to work in WLMail desktop? My ISP pop account works perfectly though...

I installed the Windows Live Mail Desktop beta but after that i don't see any folders. Everything on the left of the screen is empty. Does anyone know how i can see my folders?

:(

Alrighty, so I've been gettings tons of PMs about removing the ads on WLMD using reshack. Now mods, I'm pretty new around here, and if this is in any way, shape, or form against the forum rules, please feel free to delete the post, as I do not want to be a rule breaker around here... but here goes.

INSTRUCTIONS ON RESHACKING WLMD ADS

**NOTE: Backup your mailres2.dll file before even OPENING resource hacker. I take no responsibility for your lack of following rules, and skipping this step. Removing the wrong code could stop your application from working at all, and you may have to re-install (quite a pain). So simply back up the file, and you will not have this issue.

1. Open up mailres2.dll within your windows live mail desktop folder.

2. Navigate to section 4004 -> 3000

3. Scroll down to line 116

4. Remove

<Element ResID=AdsDisplayAds Layout=VerticalFlowLayout(0,0,1,0) Class="AdService" Padding=Rect(10,0,0,0)>
<Element LayoutPos=Top Enabled=False Foreground=GrayText Padding=Rect(0,3,0,3) ContentAlign=MiddleRight ID=Atom(ai130)/>
<FlushHTML ID=atom(AdsRAD) Width=160 Height=600 Visible=False/>
<FlushHTML ID=atom(AdsTracking) LayoutPos=none/>
</Element>

(lines 116 to 120)

5. Compile and save.

6. Dance monkey, for you have no more ads.

Hope this helps all you people dying to have an ad-free beta application. And mods, again, I hope this is not breaking any rules whatsoever.

Good luck!

Thx. It worked fine.

Reshack.zip

I made a quick .exe that patches it for you (it just uses a string reader/writer since those <elements> can be accessed if you open the dll as a .txt). Backup mailres2.dll first since I've only tested this once or twice, it might not be stable yet. It's in C# (which I'm a noob at) and you need the .NET Framework 2.0

http://www.rebirthclan.com/WLMDesktopPatch.exe

If this is breaking Neowin rules, this post can be removed :p

Thanks a lot! That one worked. :D

Indeed :yes: .

PSG22?