Windows Vista RC1 build is 5600.16384

lmfao @ guy who said theres no sidebar for xp... dude search betanews for sidebars for XP theres a few 3rd party ones plus the vista side bar has been ported.

But can you run any of those sidebars that they cover the taskbar AND move the build number...

Now i'm talking about that, didn't the sidebar just leave the build number where it was and just alpha-blend it?

But can you run any of those sidebars that they cover the taskbar AND move the build number...

Now i'm talking about that, didn't the sidebar just leave the build number where it was and just alpha-blend it?

nope but its probably possible modding it all about and like i said in the build range i mentioned the sidebar did cover like that so im sure if u modified it you could make it do that ...

I'm with you, but Apple's hardware is so expensive...

But when you consider Vista will retail for at least $399 USD and that you won't be getting frustrated by a "Microsoft Vision" of what they think you want / like. It's worth the cash.

For those who care - Vista 6.0.5600.16384 is RC1

Switch to linux :)

Another strange thing, there aren't any taskbar items/icons, not even a simple clock! And there is no taskbar item for the open windows...

ahwell if they are choosing to do a step backwards like that its definatly going to flop. pre-rc1 is nothing like them so i reall doubt there would be such a change

the more i look at the pictures the more they seem fake, and for some reason, i have this feeling that ive seen that start menu before.

The start menu looks like a concept of longhorn a long time ago, i think paul has it on his site in a video.

So its fake huh ? Lol you guys wish the longhorn ui was back. Seriously the current one is ugly. ( Its been confirmed fake just read the posts above you).

I have been following Vista since 2002 and I can tell you those screenshots are very very very old probably two years old version. They are pre longhorn-result builds. Most of the code in those builds was scrapped. The sidebar is also WPF based sidebar, not the JScript/HTML based gadgets one we have now.

Sorry to disappoint.

It is fake:

- the WMP gadget was just a concept (the Sidebar could do WPF)

- what are clouds doing front of the sidebar (Picture 007)

- no way they will miss the Search box from the Start menu or from the Control Panel (Picture 007)

- the Logon screen should have the Accessibilities and the Language button

- Picture 005 looks like a not responding dialog: but the not responding process' window in Vista is not tranparent, it has less contrast (more white) and the dialog is not that style - they moved away from the lot of text some buttons to the simple question - many text - text links - maybe buttons style

- the clock on the logon screen is a good idea, but if there isn't one in PRE-RC1 they must have a reason not to put it there, so i doubt it will be there in RC1

- the taskbar should blur what is under it or is shouldn't be see-through: in Picture 002 it is see-trough and not blurred.

Even if it's confirmed fake...they remind me of the Longhorn days :)

Longhorn, at least design ways was looking really promising.

Then Microsoft killed it and started Vista - I know Vista has marvellous thingywhatsits under the hood. But under the hood is not what I see on my desktop. Instead I see a confusing mix of ideas that is Aero.

wait, wait can't this be Windows Vienna Alpha ?

It could be. But I doubt it. Seeing Microsoft's efforts: Luna and now Aero. :ermm: What chances are there they will come up with something stylish?

So it's just someone who installed a very old build that he has got from somewhere...

No, I think its actually photos from PDC 2003 or some Microsoft event.

It's a real shame, this look much better than the current Aero UI. The white taskbar is great!

Sometimes I wonder. Where the heck does Microsoft get its Interface designers?

Dudes, this is a really old build. This is NOT Vista of what Vista will look like.

Vista will not look much diffrent at RTM than the pre-rc1 builds. Sorry.