Vista RC2 released

Should I use the 32 or 64 bit version? I do have 64-bit hardware.

Probably less drivers for the 64 bit version. I'm using 32 bit with my AMD64.

Not proof, but;

" As with the previous interim build, 5728, RC2 will go to beta testers, Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) and TechNet subscribers, and a random, limited number of Consumer Preview Program (CPP) members. "

Just read this information from http://www.windows-now.com:

"As has already been said, this is the last public build of Vista. After this, Microsoft is changing the Product Keys, and will be checking in some User Experience code that they've been sitting on so they can still surprise the market."

So lets hope that RTM will provide some of the goodies that we haven't seen yet, but keep hearing about, soon.

Just read this information from http://www.windows-now.com:

"As has already been said, this is the last public build of Vista. After this, Microsoft is changing the Product Keys, and will be checking in some User Experience code that they've been sitting on so they can still surprise the market."

So lets hope that RTM will provide some of the goodies that we haven't seen yet, but keep hearing about, soon.

I dunno if you saw this but it said this

I'm in Redmond for the TechBeta Tour, and Paul Donnelly just let one of the testers flip bit on Windows Vista RC2 (5744). Connect members can download it immediately... the public release will be available shortly, As has already been said, this is the last public build of Vista

Is that to the random ppl still or everyone?

here are some shots for you guys:

http://www.winfuture.de/screenshots/Window...ch)-2065-1.html

obviously they made the ui color change happen, some new icons too... guess you'll find the rest of the new stuff :)

cheers,

roland

besides, there was this webpage up recently for the public rc2 download, remember? that's the one where the buildstring an everything was... and it was public, so what more proof do you need :)

Edited by rquandt

on the vista team blog it says:

"Platforms and Services Co-President Jim Allchin has just posted a special announcement letter of RC2 to Microsoft Connect for the Windows Vista Technical Beta Testers. I?d like to reproduce the letter here for all to read:

People asked for it, and here it is, Windows Vista RC2! We wanted you to be the first to get these bitsnext week they?ll be available to a broader set of customers via MSDN and TechNet.

All your great feedback has helped us focus on nothing but bug fixes over the past month since RC 1 ? each and every day. There are thousands of quality improvements since Windows Vista RC1. You?ll probably notice improvements in performance, application compatibility, as well as fit and finish work. We will continue improving quality until RTM. If you are an ISV, please use this build (certainly at least RC1 or later) to get certified. Visit www.innovateonvista.com for more information on logo certification.

You are integral to this creation and refinement process. We are just around the corner from RTM and shipping this great product to the world. This will be the last build made available prior to RTM, so please keep the feedback coming so we can hit the finish line. Thanks for your help in finishing the job!

jim"

Just got home from work and downloading now from Connect. Does anyone know if any new sounds have been incorporated into this build?

I heard there haven't been any sound/bootscreen etc. changes.

Just got home from work and downloading now from Connect. Does anyone know if any new sounds have been incorporated into this build?

Nope, no new sounds or UI changes. :(

Darn, I was kind of looking forward to them. Guess we'll have to wait until RTM to see what they have in store for us.

All I'm hoping for is improved drivers which will support AA and AF. Everything else was as good/fast as I wanted it to be in 5728.

All I'm hoping for is improved drivers which will support AA and AF. Everything else was as good/fast as I wanted it to be in 5728.

Same here. I'd like all the candy, etc. but I'm really looking for the stability, and try to use it as a regular OS.

I thought they were changing the color tone of the taskbar in this build??? Or is that for a future one?

Where did you see that? The colour of the taskbar changes subtly when you play with the Aero colour settings - but no "colour tone change" was announced.

Where did you see that? The colour of the taskbar changes subtly when you play with the Aero colour settings - but no "colour tone change" was announced.

Sorry, changed my line. I meant the crappy black look on the maximized bar. I thought they were adding other color tones instead of black.