Vista RC2 released

Wow, this is the first build I have installed on my desktop (all others have been strictly on my laptop) and this thing flies with the right graphics card and the right amount of RAM :yes:

Anyone know how to get the taskbar to extend onto the other monitor? I have the other monitor working...just without a taskbar. Thanks for any tips (Y)

I think it's cool how I can use my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender ... didn't know you could do that with Vista. :)

Does anyone know if the ATI drivers work with this release?

I think it's cool how I can use my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender ... didn't know you could do that with Vista. :)

Does anyone know if the ATI drivers work with this release?

They worked fine for my x600 mobile ...granted, they have always worked :yes:

How does upgrade work? I have always installed clean, but i don't think it's worth it, for the little jump between 5728 and 5744.

Are everything working like before upgrade? Installed applications still working? Mapped drives still there? Documents location untouched, etc?

How does upgrade work? I have always installed clean, but i don't think it's worth it, for the little jump between 5728 and 5744.

Are everything working like before upgrade? Installed applications still working? Mapped drives still there? Documents location untouched, etc?

I just tested upgrading RC1 (5600) with all updates and microsoft office installed and some test documents in my doc folders to RC2 that came out today and it was very smooth, I have an older machine so it was about 50 minutes, only minor quirks were 2 listings for windows media center in the start menu and 2 entries for Computer under system tools, all files were still there and office ran fine, so depending on what programs u have installed your mileage will vary, just do the sensible thing and back up your data first :)

hope that helps, the RC2 build looks great and runs great even on my slow machine (my performance index is only 2.6)

I just did the upgrade from the 5728 build to 5744 and it went smoothly, everything is working as it should.

wow performance is so much better, media center still have a few bugs and they didnt fix the wallpaper that looks like crap when its maximized or shrinked... but other than that its really good

Unfortunately, WMP still does not do a good job of helping the user find codecs to download for files that need them. Everyday users will be confused when some of their videos don't play.

Also, the textboxes in webpages in IE7 can be difficult to see, especially on light backgrounds. There's not enough contrast.

Other than the sidebar, which eats your CPU, RC2 has good performance on my laptop. Though I'm overall disappointed in Vista, I'm going to give it a try. I suspect I'll stick with XP for a while, but we'll see.

Im running rc2, seems stable and very fast with my raid 0, which was detected and installed automaticly.

Exp. copied a 850mb file from one hd to another in less than 7sec.

Browsing seems fast too.

So far its good.

Device manager says my 7800GTX is using 96.77 from 8/21/06 (to be excact 7.14.10.9677) driver but theres no nvidia control panel. Farcry ran ok though.

AVG won't install

I never put in a key and it works fine, and got geniune advantage.

Creative Xfi vista beta driver works

tips DL and install nvidia driver 96.33 to get rid of coruption in some games

install august06 DX9.0c

Wow, this is the first build I have installed on my desktop (all others have been strictly on my laptop) and this thing flies with the right graphics card and the right amount of RAM :yes:

Anyone know how to get the taskbar to extend onto the other monitor? I have the other monitor working...just without a taskbar. Thanks for any tips (Y)

Ultramon works just fine

any word yet from folks with Nvidia SLI cards (or GX2L owners)? How about RAID compatibility?

Did a clean install of Vista RC2 on my system with a Geforce 7950 GX2, and an Nvidia nForce 4 single hd raid 0, didn't have to use any external drivers or anything, everything installed fine :D

What do you mean by this? Does your audigy 2 card not work in Vista? I have one (just regular version, not platinum or anything) and its ok for me.

Hmm, I'd love to know whether Microsoft has fixed the issue with the RealTek HD Drivers - the sound manager crashes at start up, and sound spontaneouls stops working, thus requiring a reboot :(

Also, they need to get their **** together in regards to supporting the Nvidia Go chipsets, I'm running a Toshiba laptop with a Go 7300 card; I shouldn't need to wait for Toshiba to release a driver for somethigng that should be supported out of the box like any other Nvidia graphics card.

Did a clean install of Vista RC2 on my system with a Geforce 7950 GX2, and an Nvidia nForce 4 single hd raid 0, didn't have to use any external drivers or anything, everything installed fine :D

Single HD in raid 0?

compatibiltyissuejz5.jpg

nogoam3.jpg

Got this when begining install

adaware SE works

Not to sound negative, but who gives a ****; Zone Alarm is an a-grade cpu hogging, resource sprawling piece of crap; there is nothing wrong with the Microsoft Firewall; suck it in, accept that the default firewall is acceptable and stop being such a tosser....in all due respect.